Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-11, 05:47 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Humminbird Software update

Who all has SI units on here , that are willing to help me out ? I just got my humminbird pc software , and tried to download another program son2xtf. It said I need a .Net , so i downloaded a .net , but it still doesnt recognize it. I downloaded a 998c SI version 5.410 to my sd card. I suppose I need to put that into the unit now ? Also , I notice it says to restore the defaults on your Humminbird unit prior to downloading any new software as it can create complications that can only be fixed at the factory. How do you do this ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 05:57 PM   #2
bassboogieman

I haven't tried downloading any updates yet, so you're a step ahead of me. I imagine NFE has a detailed set of instructions..................
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 06:21 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I haven't tried downloading any updates yet, so you're a step ahead of me. I imagine NFE has a detailed set of instructions..................

Only problem is, the instructions are 24 pages long, and written in some unknown language.....
Old 03-08-11, 08:50 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Resetting factory defaults is one of the menu options, though don't ask me where it is. I haven't even looked at my 1197 since September, and I haven't updated the software since I bought it.

I'll be breaking it out here in a week or two, so if you don't find it by then, give me a holler. If you knew how much CAD work I've been doing lately, you'd understand why I am a little hesitant to voluntarily stare at another computer screen.
Old 03-08-11, 10:02 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Dang, it continues to just amaze me.
I used to do CAD drafting - mapping and circuit drawings.
CAD Sasquatch - that was me. I really like doing that.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 10:51 PM   #6
bamabassman

<<used to hire draftsmen/women, i&e's, piping, mechs,cad operators. ever heard of SEATEC ? that is my fathers company.
Old 03-09-11, 12:38 PM   #7
doc

the restore factory defaults is on the menu settings, you need to restore defaults before and after your upgrade. You download the software onto the card, pop it into your unit, your unit will flash multiple times while saying "updating software''. Do not do anything untill your unit restarts by itself, then 1st thing restore factory defaults again.

I'm not farmiliar with the son2xft software, I use the humminbird pc (waypoint management, If you can call it that.) Humviewer (to view my recorded humminbird files) and Humfinder (my personal favorite, it will search your saved recording for a specific set of locations, then bring up every shot you have of that location.)
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 12:56 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Do not do anything untill your unit restarts by itself, then 1st thing restore factory defaults again.
Yes, I am always sweating bullets whenever I do my update. Make sure all of your electrical connections are rock solid when doing an update.

I have heard horror stories about having to ship a unit back to the factory to do a hard reset after interrupting an update.
Old 03-09-11, 04:55 PM   #9
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
the restore factory defaults is on the menu settings, you need to restore defaults before and after your upgrade. You download the software onto the card, pop it into your unit, your unit will flash multiple times while saying "updating software''. Do not do anything untill your unit restarts by itself, then 1st thing restore factory defaults again.

I'm not farmiliar with the son2xft software, I use the humminbird pc (waypoint management, If you can call it that.) Humviewer (to view my recorded humminbird files) and Humfinder (my personal favorite, it will search your saved recording for a specific set of locations, then bring up every shot you have of that location.)
Where do you find Humfinder ?
Old 03-09-11, 05:04 PM   #10
doc

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=783.0

Follow the link above, it's some really cool software, basically you need to be viewing a recorded track in humviewer, then when you find the object, spot you want to get different shots of you go to tools and copy position to clipboard, then select the target, start humfinder, point humfinder to search where you keep your recordings (I have a folder for all my recordings, then subfolders to each specific body of water on my pc.) Humfinder will search all your recordings for the location of the object, then give you results on how many different shots of that same object/location you have, and will even open all of the different shots up in a picture view zoomed so you can compare.
Old 03-09-11, 05:09 PM   #11
CMorg

It looks like you need to download this LabView Runtime Engine

first , and it appears as though that costs ?
Old 03-09-11, 05:22 PM   #12
doc

http://ftp.ni.com/support/labview/windows/runtime/9.0/

labview engine is free, use the link above to download and install.
Old 03-09-11, 08:27 PM   #13
CMorg

Doc , you are the man. THE MAN ! thanks for this very useful info. I cannot wait to try my unit out. Possibly friday. So , I just record data , then bring it home and put it on my computer , I suppose in a folder. Is this within Humfinder ? Also , do you have a photo of your transducer ? I am not real sure mine is correct. The bottom of the ducer is flush with the bottom of my boat.
Old 03-09-11, 11:49 PM   #14
doc

I have a folder on my desktop, within that folder i have subfolders with the names of the body of water I fish. I copy the recorded data, and pictures from my card into the appropriate folder for the day. When you start humfinder you will see HB SI search folder, just hit that button and set the search folder to the folder on your desktop you created.
Old 03-10-11, 09:53 AM   #15
lilmule

The restore defaults feature or button is nice if your running gps maps on say a card,if preloaded all it does is lose your preload turning it into a gps unit that will need a card in the future to show depth contour.As defualt factory settngs are generic maps.Unit would have to be returned to factory for a preload again or have cards in order to function as before.
Preloaded units merely insert the card with the upgrade it sees it then turn off should be loaded for next time without the card.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 12:24 PM   #16
doc

I'm preloaded with navionics. If your doing a software update you have to restore factory defaults before and after the update, or you risk "glitching" your unit and having to send it in to the factory.
Old 03-10-11, 03:17 PM   #17
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
The restore defaults feature or button is nice if your running gps maps on say a card,if preloaded all it does is lose your preload turning it into a gps unit that will need a card in the future to show depth contour.As defualt factory settngs are generic maps.Unit would have to be returned to factory for a preload again or have cards in order to function as before.
Preloaded units merely insert the card with the upgrade it sees it then turn off should be loaded for next time without the card.
I have no idea whatsoever what you just said, lilmule.
Old 03-10-11, 04:22 PM   #18
lilmule

Nofear unless its changed restoring defualts on a preloaded map unit restores it to factory default maps without contour.Meaning a 1000 dollar unit just became a 700 dollar one needing a chip to run any certain area to get what one had prior.
To those who use the nav chips thats fine to restore prior not after.
Restore is to original version and maps as left factory.Havnt a clue if it then after upgrading restores to that version.
But for a preload say with gold,platnum its a mistake to hit restore defaults.
Read your manual that came with it,says only as last resort.You may restore it to working condition but without those preloaded maps you just erased,therefore needing a 160 nav chip for just one area,or several if on the border of map areas.
Surely theirs a rep or moderator who can clear up the upgrading and how,but restoring defaults to a 3000 dollar preloaded unit one does not hit restore defaults,if you want it to work as purchased.
Those using nav chips can,as only have those generic maps lacking contour contained within.

Last edited by lilmule; 03-10-11 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-10-11, 04:38 PM   #19
doc

I have preloaded nav on mine. Resetting to factory defaults does not mess up your navionics. Once you do your restore to factory defaults, there is an option to select your preloaded nav maps as the default maps. It does not erase your preloads, it just resets the setting on the unit to the default, wich is to use the default maps included. All you have to do is go to your nav settings and select your nav gold or whatever as your default maps.

hope this helps
Old 03-10-11, 04:47 PM   #20
lilmule

I have upgraded mine with out using restore defaults,even then it reverts on a temp basis to those maps but stopping and restarting along with menu options seems to cure that.
On an earlier version of 555c it does not give that option,factory at that time told me it had been lost.Replaced with a 785c2I
This was however a few years back and it was an earlier version of sf/gps/combo
Old 03-10-11, 05:08 PM   #21
doc

You should never upgrade without restoring defaults before and after now. Unless you want to be without your unit for a while.
Old 03-10-11, 05:18 PM   #22
lilmule

I think id go back and reread my manual prior,mine are quite older units and glitches that occurred 6 or 7 years ago they most likly fixed.Page 87 it says Use this menu choice with caution,as resets all menu settings to fact default.
Im on thin ice whenever I try any upgrade,try getting support on a unit no longer made.
Or a weird transducer one has to tow behind using rf tech,the 555c can use a standard ducer,but so many use so many different ones all costing big bucks,but still same 83/200/400 and now 800 operation.
Confusing again ive got old tech,so probably not much in common with the new stuff,other than upgrades can be touchy,hold breath,cross fingers etc.
Old 03-11-11, 11:42 AM   #23
nofearengineer

I see what you're saying now, Lilmule. I'm not sure how that would have worked, though. I would be one really angry angler if that happened to me.

Luckily, I don't want any of the pre-loaded stuff. I use Nav Hotmaps Platinum, which you have to buy separately anyway.
Old 03-11-11, 09:55 PM   #24
CMorg

So Doc , is this how to do it ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3VyfVXg9L8
Old 03-12-11, 09:41 PM   #25
CMorg

Took my 998 out for the first time today. I learned it pretty quick. I love the unit , but I sure wish I would have went with the 1198 , I knew this would happen. I want the bigger screen. On a side note , I think I am going to add this..

http://store.humminbird.com/products/323040/TS_W

Anyone have it installed ?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.