Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-11, 09:04 PM   #1
mike234
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bass Boat Motor Advice

My 2000 Norris Craft boat just came out of mold today. Was let set up longer than most so boat would be stronger. It is midnight blue with red and gray accents with blue carpet. I decided to go with 350 Mercury but have to buy a $4000 mounting kit and plate. I really wanted an Evinrude but Norris Craft leans heavily and I mean heavy to Mercury. Evinrude will supply motor in their blue black color which will go better with boat than the white 350's they have in stock. White motors would be cheaper but i think look really bad with the boat. Prop is coming from custom shop in Nashville so both motors will perform the same.
Norris Craft says they can work on Evinrudes but are really better on Mercurys and if need be will be can get factory tech to help with Evinrude if need be. Which would you choose. Have a week to decide.

Thanks
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 09:14 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Mike, I am doubtful that a 20' bass boat is rated for a 350 hp outboard of any kind.

That said, I was unaware that anyone but Mercury and Yamaha had 350 hp outboards in their line-up.
Old 03-24-11, 09:16 PM   #3
mike234

Book is rated rated unlimited HP and being put on at Norris Craft factory so I guess it will handle hp OK. I think Evinrudes motor is salt water version.
Old 03-24-11, 09:27 PM   #4
mike234

I have known Mac Crumley since 1960 and if he and his son Richard say boat will handle motor, it will. Mac has been building boats since 1950's and I know him well and even bought car from him for my daughter. This is my 3rd Norris Craft boat and they have never been wrong about what their boats will do and will not do. Had a Blazer Pro with 300 Mercury and it was a piece of crap. In fact let it go last winter because transom had rotted out. Lost a lot of money on that. You being an engineer you know more than i do about boats as I am only cardothoraic surgeon but neither one of us as much as Mac does.

Last edited by mike234; 03-24-11 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-24-11, 09:44 PM   #5
bamabassman

mike, i had a merc WAAAY back. not a 350, a 150 black max on a 18 1/2 ranger. mercs are good otors. not knocking johnson's, got one of them now. takes a while to warm up on a cool morning. don't remember having that problem with a merc. maybe it is because my johnson is a 97 model too,lol. but if THEY are better on mercs...go with it. you'll get better service for them.

now......350 hp? man.........i would be skeered for my life riding in that thang, hahahaha!
i only have a 200 on my 20' 6" 97 model cajun. goes plenty fast for me. lol. but hey........IF could afford a new rig, i too would probably for the biggest, baddest motor i could get ya know.
Old 03-24-11, 10:32 PM   #6
mike234

John, I do not think HP ratings on boat limit the motors. Have a Norris Craft 1580 Super Tournament which is 15'8" and has Evinrude 150 on it. Just have to be careful when approaching YOT and ease it up because boat will become a Wobbly Globulin and really be careful stopping if you do not want 4 feet of water in boat from backwash. Just keep jack plate a little low when going to YOT. Boat will lose 5-8 mph but at that speed does not matter.

You are right, will go with Mercury they will be able to keep running with no problems. But they have kept 2 Evinrudes running for me on 1580 and Dynatrac 160.

Really do not know why buying, grandson goes with me 99% of time and do not go over 40 with him in the boat. Old habits die hard I guess.

Last edited by mike234; 03-24-11 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-24-11, 11:41 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Mike, I think you took my comment wrong.

I'm not saying it won't handle 350. I'm just saying it might not be rated for it. Rating is a legal thing. My boat is only rated for 175. If I get in a wreck, hurt someone, and they find out I had a 225 on it, I'm going to lose everything I own for sure. That's my point.
Old 03-24-11, 11:43 PM   #8
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't know about the motors, but please post up some photos once you get the boat. I'd love to see the Norris Craft.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 04:13 AM   #9
mike234

Sorry engineer, did not mean to come off at you. No excuse just very bad manners on my part. I guess it just goes to show what i have said about thuis site all along. You all know a lot more than I do and I always get good advuce here. Once again sorry.

I will try to post photo but have been trying to post photo of grandsons largemouth and still can't get it to post. I am out of my league with computers. Am lucky to get on site.
Old 03-25-11, 08:15 AM   #10
lilmule

Over 20 ft its a recommended hp,but same if over power as far as insurance purposes,but legal.
Under 20 ft its the highest hp permitted,over and its a possible ticket as well.
Many years ago about the biggest one could place on say the baddest 15 boat out there was a 140 made by champion called a mean 15.
Most are rated much lower,more like 90-100 hp My 20 ft allison has a recommended hp of 150,being over 20 ft not illegal to have a high hp on it,yet factory set it so for a reason a 350 would sink it by the transom,or be dangerous in operation.
Most 250 hp would run that boat just about as fast as one would want,and be legal to enter T with if you wanted 300 and 350 generally arnt accepted.
The new etec motors are dependable as well as the merc,if factory is set up for and does better with the latter stick with it.
The 350 verado gets about 2.5 mpg.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 08:35 AM   #11
JESTERxHEAD
BassFishin.Com Member

Those new e-tec's are one of if not THE fastest o/b on the market in stock form.

Decent on gas their 250 ho is 3 star rated.

Not saying that its better or worse than the Merc.

But If I had to choose it would be the 250 e-tec HO.
JESTERxHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 08:54 AM   #12
lilmule

Just went to norris website
2000 FXLD Vee.
Specifications:

Material: Fiberglass, Composites & Wood
Length: 20' 5"
Beam: 94"
Maximum H.P. 300
Approximate wt: AME-4000 - 1250 lbs.
FRP Resin- 1450 lbs.
Warranty: 5 years
Most owners of that boat have a 200-225 hp on them(from their owners page),its a fairly fast hiull and with any 250 ho or 250 xs with a torque master set 1 in under be doing 80 +
Design factors enter into it with a 350 one wont go a lot faster,if in fact they would at all most salt water versions arnt with high speed gearcase and low water pickup,just have an extra 100 or so pds to lug around.
Either case with what ever you buy its a great boat,hope you have fun.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 09:06 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

I am running a 225 Etec H.O. on my Triton and knock on wood I can't think of a single bad thing to say about it. I had the boat in the shop twice and neither time could I blame either problem on the boat or motor. Once time a sensor wiggled loose and it sent my motor into guardian mode (not the motors fault), and the other problem was that the fuel pick up line was too long and was kinking off on the bottom of the fuel cell (whoever put the fuel pick up line in the fuel cell is at blame but it certainly isn't the motor or boats fault it was put in there like that). That motor is a rocket! On the other hand I had an Optimax that let go on me and after replacing the powerhead she got traded in. In 250 hours it was on it's 3rd powerhead. Can't say that I wouldn't own a Mercury in the future but I certainly feel no loyalty towards them and right now I am more than happy with my Etec.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 09:02 AM   #14
mike234

Carolina-rig I said I would go with Mercury but the more I think about it the more I think I will go with the Evinrude. I had a mercury 300 on a Blazer and it was in shop more than on the water. Everytime I took it out I had to replace a stador(?). At $400 a pop could have bought a small bass boat for what I paid out on it. Have had 2 Norris Crafts with Evinrudes and have Evinrudes on 3rd Norris Craft and a Dynatrak now and all have done to them is replaced plugs. I can not tell any difference in acceleration and top end between them and mercs. If going to put this much in probably my last boat I am going to get an Evinrude. They seem to be cold natured when first started but are much quieter running motor. Big E it will be. Am going to call Norris Craft Monday and tell them.

Last edited by mike234; 03-26-11 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-26-11, 12:31 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

Wow I am glad I got to be the guy who talked you down off the bridge lol. Now just don't cuss me if your Evinrude gives you trouble haha.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 12:59 PM   #16
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

if u are going to fish tournaments then u better check with the rules most tourns only allow max 300 i think nothing more than that
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 10:02 PM   #17
mike234

Carolina will not blame you and I do not fish tournaments. Use to fish them but I am too old now and can not keep up the pace to fish in the tournaments. Just enjoy fishing with grandson. We fish one tournament a year the "Kidz Hillbilly Bassin Bonanza". It does not matter what boat or motor you have, it is for the kids. They all get something whether they catch a fish or not.
Old 03-26-11, 10:34 PM   #18
bamabassman

ok mike......if that ol johnson DOES blow up on ya, I'M gonna blame kory, BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!1 kidding of course. i have had a merc. like i said it was a LONG time ago. never had a problem, but after re-reading this thread. and seeing how you feel, i would say go with oyur gut feeling man.

and GOOD LUCK ont he kids toruny ma. remember to post pictues of it afterwards. we aboslutly LOVE pics.
and liek i said in the pm. attend the get together in may if at all possible, bring the gradnson and your other kids too. the more the merrier!!!
Old 03-28-11, 01:12 PM   #19
Bob Smith

I know a couple of fellows here in North Georgia, running 250 Pro XSs on the Norris 2000 and those boats are solid 80 mph rigs, I cannot imagine what another 100 HP will do on that boat!? I love driving fast boats, but I think I would pass on pushing the hotfoot all the way down on your new rig! lol They are fast, kewl looking rigs. As for the Evinrudes I know three with the 250s and a bunch with the 200 and 225s. There have been a couple of with multiple lower unit issues and one with a power head replacement. Other than that they are quiet, and quick. If I were in the market for a new rig and new motor I would definitely be willing to try a 'Rude.
Old 03-29-11, 05:58 PM   #20
mike234

Bob, the Norris Crafts are great boats as to stability while fishing and for speed. The only thing I have aganist them is usually too small a front deck for me. This one has extended deck. Have owned 3 of them and also Blazer, Ranger and Triton. All boats have their strong points but like the Norris Crafts overall the best. At least the best for me. The other boats are fine and know most people probably put them above the NC's but as I said for me they fit me better and living in the same town it is easy to get anything wrong fixed quickly.
Old 03-29-11, 09:34 PM   #21
Bob Smith

Mike, I hear ya! Especially your point about all boats having thier quirks and positives. Back in the 1989 through the beginning of 1992 I used to live in Mt. Juliet, TN and had the good fortune of fishing with a bunch of fellows that ran everything from Aries, Shadows, Bumble Bee, NC, BMC, Bullets, Allisons, as well as Vision (what I used to have), Stratos, Javeline, Hydrosports and couple of others. The one thing they had in common back then was a "need for speed" and that was what Tennessee was famous for! It's good to see NC and Bullet still kicking out boats by the same owners!
Old 03-30-11, 05:32 AM   #22
mike234

Bob I guess all Tennessee "boys" love that speed. You would not believe some of the rigs here. Heard one man mention after a tournament few years ago "some of these guys are crazy only thing faster than some of these boats is a rocket" and he was not talking just about the NC's. I know that there are some boats as fast and faster than NC but around here NC is the favorite. My favorite boat is a NC super tournament 1580-(15'8") with a 150 Evinrude. I bought it used and is my favorite boat. Original owner had motor hopped up and is one of older tri-hull designs and I always wondered why he had such a older small boat when he could have had a new larger boat. Now I know. When go to YOT have to be careful it becomes Wobbly Globlin. Really had to learn to drive all over again. Fish out of it 90% of time. Do not know why still love the fast boats as have grandson that does not allow any of the boats out without him and hardly ever run over 40mph(GPS) when he is in boat. I guess just nice having all that speed there if you need it.
Every time we fish or go on trip to fish this is boat we take.
As to owners of the boat companies, have done business with Mac Crumley for years and he is a "straight up person". Can believe what he tells you and know you are not going to be taken advantage of. Also you know the work will be done right and no short cuts taken. Hope he and boys keep NC from now on.
Old 03-30-11, 07:22 PM   #23
Bob Smith

Ive heard that from other folks as well, Mike. Sounds a good man to know. Womeone that has become one of friends since he and his cousin rebuilt my 200 Mariner Mag EFI last October is Paul Nichols up there in Soddy Daisy, TN. Now there is a man with a need for speed and he knows how to achieve it! He was waiting on his new Bullet that he was going to hang his latest creation on. He has tweaked a Mercury Offshore, short shank 200 to get 340 horses at the hub. His new Bullet was ordered with a special lightweight surface coating on the decks, minimal storage compartments and 21 feet of pure lightness, He's looking to break his own soeed record for an outboard on a bassboat that was something in the neighborhood of 116 mph (as I recall, memory not all that good tonight). Go to You Tube and type in his name and watch some of the videos, especially the one where he and a couple of his speed demon friends ran from the Ohio and Tennessee River junctions through all the TN River impoundments and back up to the Chickamauga, something like 4 hours for refueling stops and about the same for lock times and a total of 11 hours actual run time where they "averaged" 96 mph.
Old 03-30-11, 08:49 PM   #24
mike234

Thanks for telling me that. Will know not to get in boat with him. I really like fast boats but that one is way over even my speed limit. If he averaged 96 he had to be running over 110 at times. Would like to have him tweek my new motor if he does work for other people. Do you know how to get in touch with him. Thanks

Last edited by mike234; 03-30-11 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 09:29 PM   #25
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
Thanks for telling me that. Will know not to get in boat with him. I really like fast boats but that one is way over even my speed limit. If he averaged 96 he had to be running over 110 at times. Would like to have him tweek my new motor if he does work for other people. Do you know how to get in touch with him. Thanks
He only works Rudes on rare occasion. He specializes in Mercury and Yamaha, and is also a Test driver for both companies. He's really "salt of the earth" type personality though. A great guy that provides a great quality service for a reasonable price, rare these days.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.