Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-21-12, 02:23 PM   #1
sudal
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Crankbait Reel and Rod question!

Hi i'm thinking of buying new crank bait reel and rod because Fall is coming!~
For the reel, i'm thinking of getting
Shimano Calcutta D CT200D or Revo Winch
For the rod, G loomis 845 cbr or Glx 845 cbr
I've been thinking of these for like 2 weeks... still can't decide...
what would you guys recommend for crankbait fishing?
besides these stuff what other reel or rod would you recommend
i usually use shallow crank and midium crank
Thank you~

Last edited by sudal; 08-21-12 at 02:31 PM.
sudal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 04:27 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am not particularly a fan of Loomis (Shimano) rods. Whatever, I don't think it's necessary to spend $300 - $400 or more on a crankbait rod which would be the GLX. If your budget and ego, however, allow you and drive you to go that extreme, by all means it's your money. I have used the crankbait series rods, which I believe is the CBR845 you mentioned, they are very nice rods. I do think the 845 is a bit much for square bills and medium divers and better suited to deeper running cranks. Me, if I were to choose a Loomis, I'd choose a medium power rod - either the CB843 (if you want the long stick) or the CB743 which I think would be my choice for a little more accurate cast. As for the longer stick, it will give you more distance and the crank may stay in the strike zone a tiny bit longer, but as you are talking shallow to medium, for me the accuracy of the slightly shorter stick wins out.

As for the reels, I don't like shimano either - but I use Revo Winches on my crankbait rods and I love them. Good luck in your hunt!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 07:13 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I agree that a good crankbait setup can be had without spending huge dollars. I have 3 setups, and two of them are Pro Qualiyers matched to St Croix Premier crankbait specific rods. A Pro Qualifyer with a 5.2:1 gear ratio matched with a St Croix PC70MM seven foot Med/Mod would be a great all around setup for only $220.00. If you prefer a MH/Mod, they have that in the same rod.
Old 08-22-12, 03:32 PM   #4
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The only cranking rig I'd invest much into would be a deep cranking setup: Lamiglass SR765R, Winch or Curado E5 or my choice an Ambassadeur 4500 C3. Shallow cranks can be fished on Mod Fast graphite rod with no need for a special reel.
Old 08-22-12, 05:14 PM   #5
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
The only cranking rig I'd invest much into would be a deep cranking setup: Lamiglass SR765R, Winch or Curado E5 or my choice an Ambassadeur 4500 C3. Shallow cranks can be fished on Mod Fast graphite rod with no need for a special reel.
Good choice Mike! My deep cranking setup is a custom built on a Lamiglas honey MB 90 1F paired with either a Winch or a 200 E5, depending on my mood. It is absolutely one of my favorite combos to fish and awesome for its intended purpose.
Old 08-22-12, 11:40 PM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Anything less than 8-10', I would choose a Med-Mod. If you try to dig deeper, the rod will be constantly loaded and will give you a good work out.
Old 08-23-12, 07:55 AM   #7
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Of the choices, winch and glx. I use a crucial crc76mha and Curado 301e, but I mostly use it for deep cranks and small swimbaits.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.