Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-12, 06:16 PM   #1
cigarman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default drop shot pole

What would be a good drop shot pole without having the wife kill me in my sleep because of the price.
cigarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-12, 07:10 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You don't need to go crazy - I would, but you don't have too.

Many decent rods out there that will not break the budget. Personally I prefer a spinning combo when drop shotting. A rod in the 7'/7'6", medium power with a fast action would be my recommendation. Some go M/L, but I don't own a rod for bass fishing under a medium power. Spinning reels are reasonable, I use Pflueger and for about $60 you can score a President which is about the best bang for your spinning reel buck, IMO. With spinning gear, you don't need to spend big bucks for a d/s reel invest that saving into buying a good rod - as good as your budget allows. When d/s, or any finesse application, a good sensitive rod is definitely going to help you feel the bites. I hesitate to mention brand names, I haven't tried many of the popular, currently available, quality rods as I invested years ago in quality rods - but they are no longer available (at least in the same quality).

You didn't say WHAT the budget was - some think a $100 is pricey, others won't blink when ringing up a $300 rod. If I was buying new rods today, based on what I've heard/read (not what I've used) I would be investigaing (prior to a purchase decision) the upper level St. Croix or Dobbyn's rods, if that's above your price point, then I'd be looking at the St. Croix Avid or mid-level Dobbyn's. If you need to stay around $100 (rod) then the Abu Garcia rods like the Veritas or the BPS branded Carbonlite, they're getting good reviews from those that use them.

Should you be looking at a casting combo, rather than spinning, the rod brands would not change.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-12, 09:06 PM   #3
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have been using a 6'6" medium action Abu Garcia Vendetta rod this year and really like it.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-12, 09:23 PM   #4
JerseyFisher

I use a St. Croix Mojo Bass (6'9'' ML XF) with a Shimano Sahara 1000, its super light and sensitive. It's also very strong, I've handled some 20'' Smallmouths with relative ease on it. It cost me around $150, If you wanna spend less I would say go with a St. Croix Triumph and a Shimano Sedona. If your willing to try a new brand check out 13 Fishing's Omen Black. It's 7'1'' M and feels lighter than the Mojo (costs the same), very sensitive and strong, and also looks sexy.
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-12, 09:46 AM   #5
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use a Shimano Crucial 7' 2" rod and Pflueger Supreme XT reel...I love this set up and I feel like I put it together for a very decent price. I paid 80 bucks for the rod off Craigslist and it was almost brand new (been used twice). I picked the reel up off eBay (brand new) for 135 with free expedited shipping from a fellow who owns a tackle shop in the Phillipines. 215 total and the big site who is known for selling a lot of tackle at fairly decent prices this will run you 310 bucks! I buy a lot of my stuff off CL's or the forums. Rod and Reel wise that is....good luck in hunt and let us know what you end up with!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-12, 12:29 PM   #6
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
I use a Shimano Crucial 7' 2" rod and Pflueger Supreme XT reel...I love this set up and I feel like I put it together for a very decent price. I paid 80 bucks for the rod off Craigslist and it was almost brand new (been used twice). I picked the reel up off eBay (brand new) for 135 with free expedited shipping from a fellow who owns a tackle shop in the Phillipines. 215 total and the big site who is known for selling a lot of tackle at fairly decent prices this will run you 310 bucks! I buy a lot of my stuff off CL's or the forums. Rod and Reel wise that is....good luck in hunt and let us know what you end up with!
I use the same rod. Couldn't ask for a better DS rod. For the reel I use a Shimano Symetre in the 2500 size.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-12, 06:44 PM   #7
cigarman
BassFishin.Com Member

I have another question do any of you guy's use a bait caster for drop shot? I have a Abu Garcia revo sx and a shimano caenan bait casting. I just thought if I can then I can put the money into the pole. I am using now a Quantum Antix an20f with a sportsman warehouse SP 355 Med/action I know just junk but I am catching fish. But to give you all a little info I have been working on a little bayliner fish and ski boat 50hp for the last three years and turned it into a bass like boat. Bow and stern seats, trolling motor , two batteries, two fish finders, nothing fancy but they work. And just got the boat in the water 8 months ago and started fishing for lg. mouth bass. biggest so far 6.8 lb. So I know some of my questions may sound a little dumb but what the he--. How else can I find out. Thanks for all the info so far. I went to BP today and looked at poles. $$$$$$
Old 09-14-12, 09:49 PM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i use a baitcaster for drop shotting. but i ain't the one to tell you WHICH reel is better, i love my garcias....but using a bait caster for this in my opion...doesn't really matter what kind of reel you use as far as a bait caster. the rod is most important i think. sensitivity matters i think. but hey....i catch dinks so don't hold me to ANYTHING. hahaha!

and cigarman...there is no DUMB question (unless you say VT,tenn,LSWHOO,NOTRE DAMES OR SOME OTHER COLLEGE TEAM OTHER THAN ALABAMA IS THE BEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM), only dumb answers. lol! ask ANYTHING oyu want buddy, we'll do our best to answer.
Old 09-15-12, 08:19 AM   #9
cigarman
BassFishin.Com Member

that is what I was thinking it is all in the pole. I do love a baitcaster and after 7 months I am Some what comfortable with them. I will wait to hear from other people about the bait caster vs spinning. But I think I am on the right track with this. Because after looking at poles at BP looks like a good pole will run me $75-$185. and I can use one of my reels (bait caster)
Old 09-15-12, 08:59 AM   #10
JerseyFisher

I would look at rods around the $100 price point, these rods are typically the best band for your buck, and some often have quality features found on higher end rods.Examples: Falcon BuCoo, E21 Carrot Stick Wild, Shimano Compre, Abu Garcia Veritas, St. Croix Mojo Bass, TFO Gary Loomis Signature, etc.

While we're on the topic of DS... I would also recommend some baits: 4.5'' ST Roboworm, Strike King Dream Shot (just started using these and they produce for me just as much as the roboworm), I've also had success with the Jackall cross-tail shad and the roboworm alive shad. I also switched over to the VMC spinshot hot this year, which really prevents line twist, Gamakatsu is coming out with a similar product too that I wanna check out.

Hope this helps.
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 07:22 PM   #11
cigarman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default spinning rod/baitcaster

I have decided to go with a spinning outfit
So far I am looking at the Kistler KDDSS69
and the Bass Pro Johnny Morris carbonlite 7'2”
I have held the Bass Pro because they are just down the street
but the Kistler I am looking for it to go see.I have done a lot of reading on this pole.
Any feed back on the Kistler? The bass pro has a life time warranty, that may come in handy.
Old 09-24-12, 10:25 PM   #12
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I love my Kistler Frog/Jig/Carolina rod, but can't give you feedback on that particular one as I haven't use it....
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 07:29 AM   #13
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a Lamiglas Excel 703S 7' rod and a Shimano Sahara reel. Great combo for dropshotting.
Old 09-25-12, 09:33 PM   #14
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

Berkley Lightning Rod, Spinning, Medium Action, about 40 dollars.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.