Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 05-23-10, 10:42 PM   #26
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mallen, I imagine your conditions are similar to ours so I would say if you got the warm up that we did then they are all on beds or getting ready. I went out yesterday and caught 3 pike, 2 small and one decent sized. No bass, couldn't find any.

This evening I hit a different lake and tried to use my head for once. From my experience fishing the spawn on Grand Lake in Michigan I remembered that 98% of the fish were in 2% of the water for the spawn. Not the 90-10 rule that normally applies. I just started cruising depths from 2' to as deep as I could see bottom (5-6') until I started seeing bass spook off beds. Once I saw a few I tried to figure out the depth and what they were on, usually rocks and not stumps or wood this time.

I would suggest three baits for the spawn up there. Drop shotting a very small bait seems to work the best by far, 3" or shorter. After that tubes and to cover a big spawning area I like a Spook/Sammy. One other thing that I should have tried but didn't that would be good for "blind" fishing beds that you can't see is a split shot rig with a small fry or ring worm. For plastics I like a light green color, maybe it looks like a perch to them.

I suggest moving a lot to try to find them and using something on the bottom. Once you find once then fish the heck out of that area just dragging a bait very slowly back to the boat if you can't see the beds. It may be difficult to find them but once you do it will be gangbusters. Good luck!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 07:44 PM   #27
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Mallen, I imagine your conditions are similar to ours so I would say if you got the warm up that we did then they are all on beds or getting ready. I went out yesterday and caught 3 pike, 2 small and one decent sized. No bass, couldn't find any.

This evening I hit a different lake and tried to use my head for once. From my experience fishing the spawn on Grand Lake in Michigan I remembered that 98% of the fish were in 2% of the water for the spawn. Not the 90-10 rule that normally applies. I just started cruising depths from 2' to as deep as I could see bottom (5-6') until I started seeing bass spook off beds. Once I saw a few I tried to figure out the depth and what they were on, usually rocks and not stumps or wood this time.

I would suggest three baits for the spawn up there. Drop shotting a very small bait seems to work the best by far, 3" or shorter. After that tubes and to cover a big spawning area I like a Spook/Sammy. One other thing that I should have tried but didn't that would be good for "blind" fishing beds that you can't see is a split shot rig with a small fry or ring worm. For plastics I like a light green color, maybe it looks like a perch to them.

I suggest moving a lot to try to find them and using something on the bottom. Once you find once then fish the heck out of that area just dragging a bait very slowly back to the boat if you can't see the beds. It may be difficult to find them but once you do it will be gangbusters. Good luck!

Thanks Chris! Great info. Not sure what spots I'm gonna hit this weekend, but I plan on hittin em hard
Old 05-25-10, 09:31 PM   #28
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hang in there Mallen, the worm will turn in your favor soon I'm sure. My luck did last Sunday when I got my new PB

Took my grandson who is 3 down to the bayou tonight to drown some worms...he was so excited to catch a small bluegill. But you know I just couldn't help taking a rod with me so I made a few casts with a senko and managed a two pounder.

I have tomorrow off so I'll be getting the boat out and going after them again.

Be confident Mallen and you'll be back on the fish in no time I'm sure.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 10:07 AM   #29
rodnreel

Mallen, I've been having a lot of luck the past week fishing a 7" Berkley Powerworm t-rigged with a 1/4 oz. tungsten bullet weight. All my fish are coming off rocky bottom areas. I'm seeing the same type of behavior as you, too, because a lot of fish just bite at the tail and never really eat the whole bait. Which always leads to a swing and a miss. I can't even count the number of times I've whiffed over the past week.

Also, I've caught my bigger fish using a white buzzbait. I run it over top of the same rocky areas. Every once in a while you'll find a fish on a bed that just can't stand the squeaking of a buzzbait. I like to use a 1/4 oz. Cavitron because they can be worked a lot slower than other buzzbaits. Whatever you do, hang in there those bites will come eventually.
Old 05-26-10, 01:22 PM   #30
Bender

I just talked to a buddy who is out fishing today in Michigan. He reminded me that this is prime time for flukes as well. If you are working a potential spawning flat work it near the top then kill it. Many times they will hit it on the fall but he said this works really well this time of year.
Old 05-26-10, 02:01 PM   #31
tim4081

Spent five plus hours beating the water today. Started out looking like a good morning with one dink and a two plus pounder in the first 20 minutes. After that almost nothing. Threw almost everything but the oars at them. Finally got another keeper and a couple more little ones off one point. Tough fishing though. Did get a couple hits on frogs buzzed across matted weed beds so may need to try those again either later today or next time I get out.
Old 05-26-10, 02:22 PM   #32
riverfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

I literally smell skunk........ my wife hit one in my truck a couple few day's ago.

Iv pressure washed it every day since and cant get rid of the smelly stank what the heck!!! Been doing good fishin though no skunks in that department!!
riverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 04:51 PM   #33
3dkicker

Mallen - make a road trip and come visit. Things are good on the river right now!
Old 05-26-10, 05:03 PM   #34
zooker

mallen if your road trippin, i can give ya numbers to a bass fiishing guide on the patomac. who on ocassion can and will fly fish fer bass...though he is heart broken since his favorite bbq shack burnt down.

zooker
Old 05-26-10, 08:32 PM   #35
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim4081 View Post
Hang in there Mallen, the worm will turn in your favor soon I'm sure. My luck did last Sunday when I got my new PB

Took my grandson who is 3 down to the bayou tonight to drown some worms...he was so excited to catch a small bluegill. But you know I just couldn't help taking a rod with me so I made a few casts with a senko and managed a two pounder.

I have tomorrow off so I'll be getting the boat out and going after them again.

Be confident Mallen and you'll be back on the fish in no time I'm sure.

That's what brings me down even further. Got my new PB a couple weeks ago, and all downhill from there.
I know it'll snap back like fruit of the looms, but I'm not a patient guy lol
Old 05-26-10, 08:34 PM   #36
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnreel View Post
Mallen, I've been having a lot of luck the past week fishing a 7" Berkley Powerworm t-rigged with a 1/4 oz. tungsten bullet weight. All my fish are coming off rocky bottom areas. I'm seeing the same type of behavior as you, too, because a lot of fish just bite at the tail and never really eat the whole bait. Which always leads to a swing and a miss. I can't even count the number of times I've whiffed over the past week.

Also, I've caught my bigger fish using a white buzzbait. I run it over top of the same rocky areas. Every once in a while you'll find a fish on a bed that just can't stand the squeaking of a buzzbait. I like to use a 1/4 oz. Cavitron because they can be worked a lot slower than other buzzbaits. Whatever you do, hang in there those bites will come eventually.

I actually decided to give the buzzbait a try this year and bought a black Terminator buzzy.
Nuthin yet although a huge wake was running towards it last weekend. Just before i hit the slop of course
Old 05-26-10, 08:36 PM   #37
MallenManson

Quote:
I just talked to a buddy who is out fishing today in Michigan. He reminded me that this is prime time for flukes as well. If you are working a potential spawning flat work it near the top then kill it. Many times they will hit it on the fall but he said this works really well this time of year.

Thanks Chris! How's the bite in NY goin? Think I'm gonna head to Big Platte soon.
If I'm gettin beat on, might as well be on a reputable Smallmouth lake.
Old 05-26-10, 08:37 PM   #38
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfisher View Post
I literally smell skunk........ my wife hit one in my truck a couple few day's ago.

Iv pressure washed it every day since and cant get rid of the smelly stank what the heck!!! Been doing good fishin though no skunks in that department!!

What if you added tomato juice to the pressure washer? Like those cannisters you buy that hook up to your hose?
Old 05-26-10, 08:39 PM   #39
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Mallen - make a road trip and come visit. Things are good on the river right now!

Now THAT would be cool!
Old 05-26-10, 08:40 PM   #40
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
mallen if your road trippin, i can give ya numbers to a bass fiishing guide on the patomac. who on ocassion can and will fly fish fer bass...though he is heart broken since his favorite bbq shack burnt down.

zooker

Hehe! I was thinkin of tellin him the other day, a few swings of the hammer might earn him a 10% off card.
If the rib shack is rebuildin of course
Old 05-26-10, 09:06 PM   #41
lilmule

Your trying to hard ,reel that bait in like you dont want anything to catch it,then at least when you fail you did catch a fish.
Fluke post spawn,very erratic.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 08:36 AM   #42
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
How's the bite in NY goin?
Pure torture. In the past 2 weeks the water has warmed up from 50 to 72 and with the full moon today every fish in the lake is up shallow on a bed. This is the week of fishing that you wait all year for!

First problem is that bass season is still closed because of the morons in the DEC here, I think bass are the only fish you can't target right now. All the DEC cares about are the trout.

Second problem is I am packing the house all week by myself and picking up a moving truck today and have to load that and start the drive to Mississippi tomorrow. Otherwise I'd be on Champlain where fishing is legal.
Old 05-27-10, 08:59 AM   #43
zooker

Quote:

First problem is that bass season is still closed because of the morons in the DEC here, I think bass are the only fish you can't target right now. All the DEC cares about are the trout.
bender
you should have figured that out. why else would they install a 45 mph speed limit in lakes 20+ miles long?? trout boats are big and SLOW by design...

sippi ?? your going to sippi? man it is goin to be hot and STICKY down there, it is almost june you know..sell the snow blower and buy a new lawn mower..

zooker
Old 05-27-10, 09:37 AM   #44
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Second problem is I am packing the house all week by myself and picking up a moving truck today and have to load that and start the drive to Mississippi tomorrow. Otherwise I'd be on Champlain where fishing is legal.
Welcome to God's country. It was 90 degrees yesterday, but we're getting a break today...it's only supposed to hit 89...

Have a safe trip, and holler if you ever head towards Jackson.
Old 05-27-10, 11:25 AM   #45
Bender

It was 90 here in the mountains yesterday!!! It hit 100 degrees over at Champlain!
And I am taking the snow blower, not sure what else to do with it and I can get a tiller attachment for the front of it.

(sorry to hijack your post Mallen)
Old 05-27-10, 03:30 PM   #46
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
...though he is heart broken since his favorite bbq shack burnt down. zooker
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! George's burned down?????? Tell me it ain't so!!! That place was the best dive in Maryland!!!!

You've ruined my weekend!
Old 05-27-10, 08:25 PM   #47
MallenManson

Quote:
It was 90 here in the mountains yesterday!!! It hit 100 degrees over at Champlain!
And I am taking the snow blower, not sure what else to do with it and I can get a tiller attachment for the front of it.

(sorry to hijack your post Mallen)

Haha, hijacking = longevity. Have a safe trip, Chris, and show them good ol boys how it's done up North!
Old 05-27-10, 11:26 PM   #48
Bender

I'm afraid they will all laugh at me down there and think that I'm fishing for crappies with tiny little spider grubs and gobies.
Old 05-27-10, 11:53 PM   #49
tim4081

Quote:
I'm afraid they will all laugh at me down there and think that I'm fishing for crappies with tiny little spider grubs and gobies.

Just tell em its a new finesse style....you'll probably start a whole new trend.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.