Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-13, 06:11 PM   #101
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would think stocking up on high cap mags would be the most prudent thing to do now. If they are banned in the future, they will get a lot more expensive than they are now. Who knows how far this thing will go though.
Old 01-01-13, 08:55 PM   #102
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Man, you all keep dragging me back in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Those thumbhole stocks are very dangerous...
It simulates a pistol grip which is what Frankenstein is targeting. Because those, as you stated, makes the guns extremely more dangerous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Basically its a put together parts gun can have any stock you want,etc.Same price range.
That's what I'm doing with this .308 of mine. It, too, is a DPMS lower. I only got that caliber because it is what they had in stock and I wasn't taking any chances. I own probably 20 high capacity 5.56 mags that would work amazingly in a AR-15 and it's what I initially wanted to bust yote's with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Just slightly higher, the Sig Saur was on sale at Cabela's before Christmas for $859 it's still on sale but price went up to $899 for the 5.56. The .308 is much more expensive.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SIG-S...h-All+Products

The freakin' price went up today to $949, dam politicians creating such a demand for them, that the price will likely continue rising. No biggie though, because there were none in stock when I was there the week prior to Christmas. Be back there Saturday looking for one.
Boogie that is happening everywhere. Good luck in your hunt for one. Gunbroker would be a good place to start. They're for sale on there, but the prices are way high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I would think stocking up on high cap mags would be the most prudent thing to do now. If they are banned in the future, they will get a lot more expensive than they are now. Who knows how far this thing will go though.
Joe you're absolutely right man. When I went to pick up my lower receiver yesterday the store I got it from had some PMAG mags left and were still selling them for their regular price. Good on 'em as I'll be doing more business with them. The only problem is they're only selling them to LEO and said military couldn't buy them because they're 30 round mags. The only advantage I have is, is my wife is a non-sworn LEO. I need to find the state law, but I think she will be able to pick some for her use.

This will get your goat and this is only (1) example. MAGPUL PMAGS one of the best mags you can buy; full retail price is 17 bucks. This is a lot of 23. Simple math tells me that is 391 bucks at full retail; now check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AR-MAGPUL-PM...item3a7d246fd5

Sad part is they will too
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 09:07 PM   #103
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
This will get your goat and this is only (1) example. MAGPUL PMAGS one of the best mags you can buy; full retail price is 17 bucks. This is a lot of 23. Simple math tells me that is 391 bucks at full retail; now check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AR-MAGPUL-PM...item3a7d246fd5

Sad part is they will too
Man, I hope nobody buys those from him.
Old 01-01-13, 09:17 PM   #104
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think you all know where I stand on our government, and also our 2nd amendment. So I hope you understand that I am in no way saying this in favor of our government.

With that said, we all know that the government is exploiting the Newtown shooting and using it as a way to use the emotions of the American people to strong arm their gun control agendas. But are these guys who are taking advantage of this situation by jacking up the prices on firearms and firearm accessories any better? I mean both groups are at odds with each other, but both groups are also breaking it off in the American people.
Old 01-02-13, 01:01 AM   #105
USMCbassman

c-rig: I'm with you and don't agree with it. Unfortunately there are people in complete and total panic mode who will spend whatever they need to in order to ensure they have what they want/need and it can be grandfathered in.

It's on those of us who see this and realize it not to cave to it.

On a separate note this may interest some:

https://www.facebook.com/events/406312512782872/

Dang, I could've swore I said I'd stay out of this thread....I suck!
Old 01-03-13, 11:29 AM   #106
RustyFender
BassFishin.Com Member

Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Old 01-03-13, 12:58 PM   #107
lilmule

Ill is working on a law that will ban all assault rifles,semi auto rifles,even pump shotguns and hand guns no grandfathering just turn in.Hope it wont pass.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 01:18 PM   #108
nofearengineer

Quote:
Ill is working on a law that will ban all assault rifles,semi auto rifles,even pump shotguns and hand guns no grandfathering just turn in.Hope it wont pass.
It would be too bad if all those the Illinois gun manufacturers moved to my state, Indiana.

I feel really bad for the few intelligent people living in Illinois, or in other words, everyone who doesn't live in Springfield or Chitcago.
Old 01-03-13, 01:30 PM   #109
lilmule

Actually backward step as under federal mandate now to issue cc permits,so may become a can issue state,not will issue.Be a bad thing to have to carry a cap n ball revolver,not that I didnt like mine,just reload is bit slow.
Chicago and nyc have about the most strict guns laws yet more violence than anywhere else,so removal of firearms is no answer as then only criminals have them.
Old 01-03-13, 02:03 PM   #110
Tavery5

Quote:
Actually backward step as under federal mandate now to issue cc permits,so may become a can issue state,not will issue.Be a bad thing to have to carry a cap n ball revolver,not that I didnt like mine,just reload is bit slow.
Chicago and nyc have about the most strict guns laws yet more violence than anywhere else,so removal of firearms is no answer as then only criminals have them.

Numbers don't lie, but liars use numbers, this old saying has value in reference to your Chicago statement.

Chicago is the number 3 city per capita, and ranks 48th in gun related deaths per capita. Illinois as as state ranks tied for 31st.

My point is you can spin these numbers to mean a lot of different things, making a case for about anything you like or dislike.
Old 01-03-13, 02:22 PM   #111
nofearengineer

Tav, I wonder how that stat would change if it were "gun related murders" vs "gun related deaths"? Take away suicides and accidental shootings, and there you have the core of the gun ban issue.
Old 01-03-13, 02:41 PM   #112
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Tav, I wonder how that stat would change if it were "gun related murders" vs "gun related deaths"? Take away suicides and accidental shootings, and there you have the core of the gun ban issue.

Chicago has some interesting numbers when it comes to guns and violence. They recently had their 500th homicide of the year, of these homicides 87% or 435 were committed with guns.
I could find no easy numbers on accidental or suicides involving guns.

There were 314 Chicago public school students shot this year and 24 deaths as a result.

The major contributing factors are believed to be gang violence, and the availability of illegal handguns.

Just as a side note, New Orleans has much worse numbers.
Old 01-03-13, 03:24 PM   #113
lilmule

I think the idea of any gun ban does not keep them from getting illegal guns ,just you for a legal one.
I think it would interesting to find out how many crimes were committed with guns gotten illegal,versus legal.Surely some that obtain them legally may do something wrong,but bet its a one sided thing mostly.
Your average drug dealer wont go to walmart get federal and or state approval then go out and use it in a crime,they wont pass.
Old 01-03-13, 05:54 PM   #114
joedog

Good read

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...nt?oid=4066435

Found interesting

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...brady-campaign

And if you want to know what Chicagoans think

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...homicides.html

Oh just a reminder. The last link I found on the web by a simple 'google' search. I often find 'OUR' forum threads posted when searching for fishing facts. So remember, once it's posted your ownership rights are gone. I AM GUILTY often on poor judgement on MY postings so this is NO lecture just a reminder.

Anyway, if anyone cares...I'm still on the fence but leaning HEAVILY towards the PRO-Gun side. Ands everyone KNOWS I've over thought this...maybe...and I ALWAYS do my homework. But this is important stuff folks. This one act could change AMERICA forever!!!! Personally I bring up the topic often with non gun owners. They are the one's who need to KNOW the realities of gun ownership and crime and safety. I have no problem convincing a gun owner to protect their rights.
If you read the links, it can't be just a coincidence that the only house on the WHOLE block that hasn't been robbed is the only house that has a gun owner residing there...or can it?

Almost forgot...this is how Charlie feels.
http://cnsnews.com/blog/charlie-dani...duce-gun-crime
Old 01-05-13, 11:07 AM   #115
Abbeysdad

To think for one second that crazy people that do crazy things will pay any attention to crazy laws is...well...just crazy!

Criminals and crazy people don't care about gun laws...all these laws do is further restrict the rights of law abiding citizens. A gang leader reportedly said he welcomed stricter gun laws since they don't apply to him or his crew!!!

In the meantime, the well meaning political machine is over looking the root cause. First, this was obviously a very disturbed and twisted young man. Second, his mother was a Prepper - very afraid of what was coming.
Years ago there were a handful of survivalists with hidden camps and food stores in the woods and the hills. Now there are thousands of Preppers afraid of economic collapse, natural disaster, pandemic, solar flares, biological warfare, dirty bombs, nuclear attack .....

I don't have the answer, except that the best solution for all problems need to be addressed at the root cause....and the guns did not commit this horrific crime.

As someone else wrote...if a drunk driver plowed into a school bus stop would we ban alcohol or automobiles? The same logic right?

Perhaps a better question is how do we better identify the wackos among us and get them the help they so desperately need? As much as we hate the perpetrator, a young man killed his own mother and threw his life away too.
Old 01-05-13, 11:34 AM   #116
joedog

Finally we get to the real only unarguable TRUE FACT!

To think for one second that crazy people that do crazy things will pay any attention to crazy laws is...well...just crazy!

Very well put!
Thank you Abbeysdad!

I am no longer on the fence.
I'M 100% PRO GUN OWNERSHIP!

Thanks again Abbeysdad and everyone else
Old 01-05-13, 11:24 PM   #117
USMCbassman

Just some updates:

10 New bills were introduced in congress on Jan 3 (all gun related):

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...y-of-the-house

Dems are trying to change the filibuster in congress from 60 votes to 50; however, Sen. Reid has decided to delay this. What does this mean, it'll make it a lot easier for the Senate to pass the gun ban:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...ibuster-Reform

Frankenstein's bill is expected to be introduced on 22 Jan:

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/fe...anuary-22.aspx

Senator McCain(R) is working with Sen. Levin(D) because he is mad at Rand Paul (big pro-gun advocate):

http://gunowners.org/a01042013.htm

I did a little statistical research the other day, this may offend some depending on where you stand (this is not meant to offend anyone); however, if all this gun ban talk was provoked by the Newtown shooting (again, my stance doesn't change my heart breaks for the parents and families as a parent) and Frankenstein and co. want to use a tragedy such as this to push their agenda they need to look at this from all aspects. As said above statistical data can be twisted, my sources for these are the CDC, MADD and FBI website:

In 2011 there were 1.2 million abortions performed in the US, this has been a pretty steady number since 2001. That is 12 million children murdered in 10 years. Yet our government says this is okay.

In 2010 there was 10,228 alcohol-impaired-driving deaths. Yet our government doesn't address this either.

In 2011 there was 11,432 firearm related homicides or 3.7 per 100,000 of US population and yet the government calls for a ban on guns?

Some may say well it's a woman's right to have an abortion and it is because the government said so.

Some may say it's our right as an American to consume alcohol and drive, it isn't...it's a privilege.

Some may say well it our right to own guns and it is; the only one of these 3 above guaranteed by the constitution! Yet, out of these horrific statistics they only pick the one that is on paper in which our nation was built upon to attack. Something doesn't make sense.

When I think about this I often think back to this:

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ~Thomas Jefferson~

However I believe the patriots will prevail if they try to take our guns in this day and age! Granted the DHS just purchased 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition; why does a federal agency need so much ammo?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.