Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 12-31-09, 09:22 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Caution: Monkey Attack!!!

I'm sorry but the monkey made me do it. Enjoy the photos......

Made a run to BPS and Green Top today (no snow or ice as predicted - stupid weathermen) to check out the new RC 2.0 and a couple new colors. BPS had neither and the employees had no idea that the baits existed or when they might be coming in . Neither store had the Yamamoto Swim Bait either. BPS did have Squirmin' Shad which I picked up a couple bags. Came home and checked the catalog for more colors but they didn't have the bait in it . Checked into the new Lawrence HDS5, 5x, 7, 8 and 10's. Found out that the Side Scan is an additional $600 and the Navionics chip is an additional $150-200 depending on which one you want to buy. That puts the HDS 5 at $1300+. You can get the entire Hummin Bird 798 for $900 on ebay.

Oh the vension stuffed mushrooms were good and the alligator was a little chewy at the restaurant at BPS. Spent more for lunch than I did on baits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0078.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	4580   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0079.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	4581   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0083.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	4582  
Old 12-31-09, 09:24 PM   #2
3dkicker

Of course I couldn't leave these Green Top pics out. One wall of Yamamoto and the other of Zoom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0084.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	4583   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0085.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	4584  
Old 12-31-09, 10:19 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Smitty,

Since I'm gung ho for side imaging right now, I was very interested in your comments on the Humminbird. I'm not biased one way or the other (Lowrance/Humminbird), but I'd like to add a couple of things.

True, you can get the Humminbird on ebay, but you can't compare that price to a new price for the Lowrance. Besides, ebay always carries risk. I've been bitten big time on ebay a time or two.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 798 have its own Si sensor for each unit? If so, then I like the HDS scheme better: a dedicated SI sensor that both my helm and bow units can both use simultaneously. If you factor that in, it's more like $300 per unit, which puts them in about the same price range.

The Navionics is gonna cost you the same whichever one you buy.

I'd have to add that Lowrance does indeed have a HORRIBLE reputation for customer service, while Humminbird owners seem pretty satisfied on that end.

I'm really torn now though, because yes, cost on day one for one unit is definitely lower with a Humminbird....ah Hell, who am I kidding? I'm probably gonna go nuts and get an HDS-8 anyway...my fishfinder will probably only cost me $100 per bass I catch next year...
Old 12-31-09, 10:22 PM   #4
TN_Bassin

As long as I can make out the baitfish and see what kind of stucture is down there I'm happy.
Old 01-01-10, 12:19 AM   #5
3dkicker

Nofear - I understand the warning about Ebay. I wouldn't buy from an individual but from a company. I'd do a little research on the company before ordering especially at that price.

It's my understanding to connect two HDS units you have to purchase another unit, $650, and a Expansion Port, $150, to connect the units. I wonder if Humminbirds Interlink would transmit the SI info to another unit like the 365 or 385 SI? It sends/shares GPS info. Whatcha think?

The HDS 5 and 7 don't have dual SD slots which the 798 does so when you run your Navionics you can't save info unless you pull the chip and put in another. An issue with the old 797.

The Major purchased the 798 this fall so I've had the opportunity to see it in action. My opinion is that I would really only need one unit in the boat. Especially since the transducer is in the back of the boat or 20 feet behind you. By the time you saw the rock pile or stump the guy on the back would have hit it first.....
Old 01-01-10, 12:44 AM   #6
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Nofear - I understand the warning about Ebay. I wouldn't buy from an individual but from a company. I'd do a little research on the company before ordering especially at that price.
I'm not sure about Humminbird, but after reading Lowrance's policy on internet auctions, I'm not real confident about them honoring a warranty on a unit purchased from a nameless ebayer.

Quote:
It's my understanding to connect two HDS units you have to purchase another unit, $650, and a Expansion Port, $150, to connect the units. I wonder if Humminbirds Interlink would transmit the SI info to another unit like the 365 or 385 SI? It sends/shares GPS info. Whatcha think?
The Lowrance Structure Scan module (LSS-1), has everything you need to hook up up to 3 units. To share broadband information (structure scan is from the transducer to each unit) from unit to unit, I think yes, you would need the expansion port. I am not sure about Humminbird's Interlink...I will of course, research the heck out of it. I do know it will share the GPS info, but as usual, not the chart. Gotta love how that works, from all manufacturers.

Quote:
The HDS 5 and 7 don't have dual SD slots which the 798 does so when you run your Navionics you can't save info unless you pull the chip and put in another. An issue with the old 797.
Excellent point!! I am gonna sidestep that one...the 8 and 10 have two slots hehe.

Quote:
The Major purchased the 798 this fall so I've had the opportunity to see it in action. My opinion is that I would really only need one unit in the boat. Especially since the transducer is in the back of the boat or 20 feet behind you. By the time you saw the rock pile or stump the guy on the back would have hit it first.....
Haha, that's funny. You make a good argument for TWO 798's.

It depends on fishing style, I guess...but I am fascinated with finding off shore structure...I want to be able to find it with the helm unit, and stay on it with the bow unit. Heck...it's only money...you can't take it with you.
Old 01-01-10, 02:27 AM   #7
islandbass

How could you post pics like this? The closest BPS is over 1000 miles away. J/K Nice pics. Going to have to wipe the drool off the keyboard.
Old 01-01-10, 03:26 AM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Did you wave a gun in the air or break wind 3d? Looks like you ran every one out of the place. hahahaha I thought you had to be cruising for the Humminbird SC to work properly. Would this serve it as almost a null purpose at the bow. And just for cruising around at idle speeds. Does the Lowrance work in the same manner? If what I hear is true.
Old 01-01-10, 09:57 AM   #9
3dkicker

Nofear you may want to check but I don't believe the 798 transducer can be mounted on a trolling motor. Unless they've made an upgrade. I'd check on the HDS w/SI too. It may not although the HDS w/o SI can. If you purchase a second HDS (w/o SI) and connect it then you'll still be looking out of the back of the boat.

Bubba - the 798 works just fine when using the trolling motor. It's at top speed I think that you would have issues with the side imaging but it does have the flasher mode for running at high speed.

Those alligator and vension butt burps can be lethal.....
Old 01-01-10, 10:00 AM   #10
3dkicker

Island - Just be glad I didn't post the picture of the crankbait isle, the swim baits, and the frogs. Plus you do have a Cabela's just across the Idaho border - I know I've been there!
Old 01-01-10, 10:30 AM   #11
bamabassman

Thanks for the pics 3d..................NOT, LMAO. I am PURPOSELY not going to a BPS for quiet a while. There are things i need for the house right now, so lures and such is off limits............except for the new trolling motor.
Old 01-01-10, 11:11 AM   #12
Bassboss

WOW!!!!! You BPS is WWWAAAAYYYY better than mine!
Old 01-01-10, 11:51 AM   #13
CMorg

Im getting the Hummingbird this year. I thought about it , and for me its the best value. I notice the new model hummingbirds have downscan capability now. That lowrance is to rich for my blood right now , as my wife wants a new Lexus IS 350...she gets what she wants , when momma's happy , daddy's happy.

Last edited by CMorg; 01-01-10 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Typo
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-10, 01:27 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Quote:
Nofear you may want to check but I don't believe the 798 transducer can be mounted on a trolling motor. Unless they've made an upgrade. I'd check on the HDS w/SI too. It may not although the HDS w/o SI can. If you purchase a second HDS (w/o SI) and connect it then you'll still be looking out of the back of the boat.
Smitty,

The SS transducer on the Lowrance is a standalone unit. Each HDS unit still has a regular 83/200 transducer attached to it. So on a boat with two HDS units, you would have three transducers. So "looking out of the back of the boat" isn't really an issue except for side imaging. However, since it is looking out to the sides, I think it doesn't really matter much, unless you're in really close quarters, in which case you can probably see the structure with your own eyes. And from what you're telling me, the Humminbird won't do side imaging up front either, because it won't mount on the troller.

That's a good point about scanning at speed...I'll have to do more reading on that one.

Don't you love it? Lowrance and Humminbird actually get us arguing over which unit is a better bargain...LOL....bargain....right.
Old 01-01-10, 01:52 PM   #15
3dkicker

Arguing? Me? Never. I think of it as informing the uninformed masses of the benefits or faults of the two systems. Actually I don't know much technical information about the units but I wanted to get a side by side comparison of the two units in general terms. The sales guys at both stores didn't help all that much. I figured that a couple guys on here would have some good input.

Bama - Trying to send the video but failing for some reason. You been watchin' the bonk videos again on your phone????
Old 01-01-10, 04:14 PM   #16
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
As long as I can make out the baitfish and see what kind of stucture is down there I'm happy.
I'm with him. But unfortunately, I'm also in the market for a Sonar/GPS unit that I can link with my X-510c, and these HDS systems look very nice.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-10, 11:35 PM   #17
islandbass

Quote:
Island - Just be glad I didn't post the picture of the crankbait isle, the swim baits, and the frogs. Plus you do have a Cabela's just across the Idaho border - I know I've been there!
You're right. Me likey crankbaits. They just recently opened a cabelas just 30 minutes away. Good and bad at the same time, but I still want to visit a BPS.
Old 01-02-10, 12:59 AM   #18
nofearengineer

I don't know whether it's a good thing or a bad thing....there isn't a BPS or Cabela's within 3 hours of me.
Old 01-02-10, 01:04 AM   #19
TN_Bassin

It's a bad thing because bass pro shipping prices are ridiculous.
Old 01-02-10, 01:14 AM   #20
nofearengineer

Yeah, but I'm convinced that if there was one local, I'd be homeless from trying to pay off my BPS bill.
Old 01-02-10, 01:23 AM   #21
TN_Bassin

I've learned to leave my money and debit cards at home when I go to BPS unless I have need of something in particular. Even without money to buy things I'm still like a fat kid at a candy store.

It's all about Willpower. And I know if I didn't leave all at home I would be completley broke.
Old 01-02-10, 01:42 AM   #22
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
It's a bad thing because bass pro shipping prices are ridiculous.
I second that. And then they send you a box big enough to house a 42" TV for 2 packs of 1/16 oz tungsten bullets that were on back order. There is always faithful tacklewarehouse.com with free shipping over $50 and guaranteed to match other places. And you would probably get a free t-shirt out of the deal.
Old 01-03-10, 12:51 PM   #23
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I visited Green Top for the first time in the fall. What a cool place.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 08:17 PM   #24
Captmikestarrett

Some major differences must be noted here:

Lowrance network will not share heads if one is HD and the other is not.. EDIT : It will with a select few...
Also the HD feature for Lowrance is an upgrade chip unless you get the top of the line. Also the front non HDS head will not share the same transducer on the net. You must add a third transducer for the front head unit to work.

Lowrance side scan unit has two HD transducers. I think if you need to share heads you will need the memory box on the network too.

http://www.lowrance.com/StructureScan/

Hummingbird Side scan comes complete with everything including a pie plate size transducer. But will not connect to other units..unless you add the network and a whole bunch of other things.

My suggestion is a ram mount on the dash that will allow rotation of either unit. Just need to learn left is right when reading from the front. Keep the front unit on your trolling motor.

Capt Mike
Old 01-03-10, 09:48 PM   #25
nofearengineer

To summarize:

Goal...boat with side imaging at both bow and helm.

Lowrance Solution -

Two HDS units, each with own 2D transducer
Side-Imaging Transducer with LSS-1 module

Humminbird Solution -

Two SI units (798 or better)...figure out some way to mount ducer on trolling motor or
Additional Network Unit required

My contention is that both of these routes end up costing around the same.

However, I'm starting to lean towards the Humminbird for the simple reason that the initial cost is lower, plus, if you put another one on your trolling motor, you can then aim the sensor at your target without moving the boat. I think that would be a great tool for fishing docks and similar cover. Same cost, more functionality.

HD and broadband are a totally side issue, since you'd need to buy the broadband sounders and network module for the Lowrance (another grand, easily).

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.