Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 04-21-13, 02:34 PM   #301
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm a sucker for the trout license, so hopefully I can "procure" some tasty pink fish for a dinner or two.
Old 04-21-13, 05:17 PM   #302
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm waiting until the day I arrive to get my license. I plan to get mine at Stephen Headrick's, One Stop Bait and Tackle.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 10:28 PM   #303
bassboogieman

Well, that's cool but I've got a 14 hour drive so I am not stopping at night or get up early the first morning to get a license. I want to get the boat in the water Sunday night right after check in and be ready to go Monday morning without any delay.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13, 11:59 AM   #304
woody

I'm planning on arriving that Sunday (12th), early in the afternoon. I hope to see everybody there.

-Mark
Old 04-22-13, 04:22 PM   #305
nobass

Be there Monday only a out a2 1/2 hour drive for me been counting the days
Old 04-29-13, 04:49 PM   #306
woody

YaHooo! I'm happy to announce that Cedar Hill's Restaurant is open for business!!!

http://www.cedarhillresort.com/restaurant.html

-Mark
Old 04-29-13, 06:12 PM   #307
bassboogieman

Well that's good news. I am planning on cooking breakfast some mornings and some of my evening meals (just because I prefer my own cooking) to enjoy on the deck prior to going out fishing for the evening bite, but I will definitely patronize the restaurant occasionally. Does anyone remember if the cabins have an outdoor grill? I'll have to take some charcoal if they do for steak night...
Old 04-29-13, 06:26 PM   #308
nobass

i just called them grills are charcoal do not think you can cook scrabble over open flame dose anyone kmow atual head count of who will be there for sure
Old 04-29-13, 06:36 PM   #309
woody

Confirmed..

Nobass and guest
Nofear
Bruce and guest
Ron
Woody

-Mark
Old 04-29-13, 07:03 PM   #310
woody

The idea of a "Steak Night" is open for discussion.

-Mark
Old 04-29-13, 08:13 PM   #311
bassboogieman

No discussion required as I AM grilling steak one evening (maybe two) for myself as well as preparing many of my own meals, mostly in my crock pot. Don, scrapple gets cooked on a griddle, not on the grill. I'm taking a griddle, crock pot and Kuerig coffee maker - can't leave home without it - as you can bet the cabin kitchens are not that we'll equipped. As Tenn. sees fit to tax food, I will also be bringing most of mine with me.
Old 04-30-13, 09:31 AM   #312
nofearengineer

I am really looking forward to this, as work is kicking me square in the nuts on a minute by minute basis.

I'll bring a few items for dinner as well. Hopefully we can have a fish fry sometime during the week too.

Woody, how does 1pm sound? I can get a good night's sleep before the drive, and we can "co-launch".
Old 04-30-13, 10:37 AM   #313
bassboogieman

Hey Bryce, if you really miss work kicking you in the gonads (and I DON'T MISS IT AT ALL) well, if during your week at Dale Hollow you feel the need - you only have to ask. Hey, what the heck are friends for? And if you ask within three days I'll double your order, don't worry about any "additional fees" and delivery is ALWAYS FREE. Less than two weeks to go, damn I hope the fishing is worth the travel. Yeah, yeah I know - seeing you guys will be great, but good fishing would really be nice.

I hope you all have plenty of poppers - I've bought about an extra half dozen of the G-splash as they didn't carry them locally, they were the BEST producer for me. The XCaliburs did ok, but not as well as the LC's.

Numero Uno - Pearl Ayu in size 65. I even lent Doc my spare which he promptly lost - big mistake.

Number 2 also worked well - Gold Rush, also size 65

Number 3 - XCalibur Zel Pop - Bone/Chartruese

They were the ones that worked for me, above other colors tried like Sexy Shad, plain white, or the chrome/blue or chrome/black. What colors worked for you? I also had better response to the smaller 65 size vs. the larger 80 size, anyone else notice a size preference?

Last edited by bassboogieman; 04-30-13 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-30-13, 11:48 AM   #314
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Woody, how does 1pm sound? I can get a good night's sleep before the drive, and we can "co-launch".
1pm CT works for me.

-Mark
Old 04-30-13, 02:57 PM   #315
bassboogieman

I'm leaving at 5 AM EASTERN TIME, you guys leaving at 1 PM will still get there before me. I hate oyu...
Old 04-30-13, 03:24 PM   #316
MississippiBoy

Well, you're all gonna beat me. I've been trying to figure out a way for me to make it there, but it's not in the cards this year.
I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.......
Y'all have fun, and I'll pray that the fish cooperate a little better than they did last year.
Old 04-30-13, 06:41 PM   #317
bassboogieman

Well that sucks, guess I only have to take half as much apple pie now. OR, just drink more myself...
Old 04-30-13, 07:47 PM   #318
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Well, you're all gonna beat me. I've been trying to figure out a way for me to make it there, but it's not in the cards this year.
Y'all have fun, and I'll pray that the fish cooperate a little better than they did last year.

You sure will be missed. I hope to see you next time.

-Mark
Old 05-01-13, 01:30 PM   #319
woody

Here's the latest Dale Hollow Report, posted over on smalljaw.com by Keith Palmiero
SmallyChasers Guide Service.

Posted - 04/30/2013 : 10:55:16
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fishing has gotten much better this past week and keeps getting better each day. I have been catching some better numbers than in previous weeks. Most days are in the 15 fish a day average with the best day being 23 smallmouth and 2 largemouth. The rain and rising water has helped a lot. Bait has finally decided to pull up shallow with the rising water. The corps is still pulling the lake hard and I wish they would just leave it alone. Not sure their plan.
Most fish I am catching are post spawn fish with some fish still in pre spawn. Seems like the further up the lake I go the more the fish are in post spawn which is typical for this time of year. I am catching males that are all beat up with tails healing and some that are peeing all over the boat as I take the hook out. That is a typical sign of a spawning fish. I am catching some females with sunken bellies, and some full of eggs. I will say this though. Size is not even close to what it should be for this time of year. We are catching the occasional good fish, maybe one a day, but not seeing the numbers of big fish I should be.
Largemouth are right in the middle of the duty. Every one I am catching the tail is worn right off and bleeding. Most are still very fat and healthy. More largemouth up and shallow than I have ever seen. And they are staying up because they can. Most years they move up first to feed and once the smallmouth move up they cant compete with them for food so they leave. Didn't happen this year.
Fish did not wait for the water temp this year. They moved up to spawn by the time of year and the moon. Spawning is taking place in 59 to 60 degree water. Spawning activity explains the extremely slow fishing the past couple weeks. I feel there is still another small push to move up because of what I am seeing on the graph. They will probably move up with the new moon.
Fish are spawning a little deeper this year on the main lake due to the lower water levels for spring and the clear water. This is typical if the water is not up in the bushes and the corps is pulling water. So when fishing, back off for better fish. Smaller fish will be tighter.
Catching most numbers on typical post spawn patterns. Flukes and Senkos catching good numbers early and right up till lunch if its overcast. Then I am switching to hammers and grubs to finish the day. Fish are busting shad on top early in the am and if the sun is in. You can see large schools of bait moving up and fish are feeding on them. Topwater bite is starting to kick in if the conditions are right. With the water temps still in the 60 degree range the fish will stay up this year even after the spawn is completely done. They wont just b line for deep water until the bait does. This is going to make for some great May fishing and if this weather pattern keeps up right on into June!
I have been seeing a lot of talk about the slow fishing and many opinions floating around as well as the shocking study. I am not a biologist so IDK what happened or what is happening. I am just a fisherman that is on the water a lot and an observer. I have been told the same thing everyone else has heard about the shocking study. Numbers of fish up shallow and spawning were 60% down from previous years. Why? I have no idea. All I know is it got hot very fast last year and it was a drought. No rain, no current, and an algae bloom like I had never seen. My rods and reels still have the crap on it. I firmly believe that had something to do with the fish dying. Something else I observed as a fisherman is hemorrhaging of the fish. By late April and into May I would catch a fish, in the mouth, and it would be bleeding all down its side from what, I have no idea. Throw it back and belly up it would go. Like it fought to the death. Not sure what caused this either.
Why was the fish kill only smallmouth? IDK Is the TWRA looking into this?? Where is the report? I feel we as license buyers deserve to know.
So, if you take a farm pond that has 3000 fish in it and you remove 1500 does that mean there are no more fish to be caught? Well no, but there are only half as many as there were. So, just get out there and fish 50% harder. Sharpen your skills.
I hear some talk about fishing pressure. I am not buying into that at all. Fishing pressure has been here for years. I have had no trouble catching fish right in the middle of all the pressure. I don't buy that at all. It had nothing to do with fish dying. Can it make the fishing a little slower/tougher. Yes it can, but it doesn't make fish disappear, die, or just go away. Compared to most lake, KY, Barkley, Chick, Old Hick, Guntersville, our pressure is NOTHING!! Look at the fish those systems give up. Fish have to come up to spawn. No matter what, the have to. Its nature. When they do so, they are more susceptible to being caught and no matter how much pressure some will be. Smallmouth are ferocious feeders. I have caught the same fish twice in the same day many times. I have tons of stories about this. When Smallmouth want to eat. They are going to eat. Period. So where did the big fish go? I mean the 6 plus pounders? I don't know. I do have my theories but that is another topic. But I can tell you this. They are not there. Yes, some 6s, maybe a few 7s, but they are just not there. The TWRA does not shock them in the spring, and anglers are not catching them. Period. The numbers of really big fish are gone. We still have one of the best smallmouth fisheries in the south and our number of 5# fish is amazing.
So, I say just go out there, enjoy what God has provided for us, and try not to overthink it. It is what it is.
What is the TWRA doing about it all? The numbers being down from the kill, the big fish?? I have NO IDEA and your guess is as good as mine. They are not talking. The few conversations I have had I am led to believe there is no problem. Well, ok. Guess I am just a dumb redneck that doesn't know how to fish then cause I have never seen anything like this on our lake. Personally, I don't think they have to funding to put into the research or something. I don't know. But, I do know they are not talking and I don't know why.
Like I said above, still the most beautiful lake in the south. We still have an amazing fishery and there are still plenty of fish to be caught so just enjoy what God has given you!!
Thanks!

Keith Palmiero
SmallyChasers Guide Service
USCG Certified
www.smalljaw.com
270-925-8924
Horse Creek Resort
Big Hammer Swimbiats
Punisher Lures
All Pro Rods
Steelshad.com

Last edited by woody; 05-01-13 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-01-13, 05:03 PM   #320
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I am sorry to hear that, Daniel. It seems like we are always saying "see ya next year maybe".
Old 05-01-13, 06:52 PM   #321
woody

Lake level data (651 normal pool)

http://www.tva.gov/lakes/dhh_r.htm
Old 05-02-13, 11:58 AM   #322
nofearengineer

Haha, Woody...your daily updates are killing me. It even looks like the weather is going to be nice...high 70's, low 50's.
Old 05-02-13, 03:22 PM   #323
bassboogieman

Quote:
Confirmed..

Nobass and guest
Nofear
Bruce and guest
Ron
Woody
SEVEN people and FIVE boats? Dang WTL, you really ought to sneak over for a few days, no need for your kayak as a couple rear decks are open and I don't think anyone of them would mind having you back there. Anyone else close by? 'Bama? Daniel? Just a day or two to say HI? Seven guys, wow I really expected more. I'll offer the couch (pull out) in my cabin for a couple days at no charge if it's the expense that's keeping you away.
Old 05-02-13, 05:16 PM   #324
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Confirmed..

Nobass and guest
Nofear
Bruce and guest
Ron
Woody

-Mark
Pretty sure Adam is going to be able to come. Our plans AT THE MOMENT is to leave here early Sunday morning and leave there Friday morning.
Old 05-02-13, 06:01 PM   #325
woody

confirmed..

Nobass and guest (boat)
Nofear (boat)
Bruce and guest (boat)
Ron and Adam (boat)
Woody (boat)

-Mark

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.