Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-10, 10:54 PM   #1
set_the_hook
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Swim Jig Retrieve

What retrieve works best for you when fishing a swim jig? I see some shake with the rod tip high, I've seen straight retrieve with rod tip low.
set_the_hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 11:34 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The best retrieve? The one the fish want at the time. It all depends on the mood of the fish. Like any bait, you have to vary the retrieve to find which one the fish will hit. I usually just crank it in like a spinnerbait or lipless crankbait.
Old 05-06-10, 11:56 PM   #3
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
The best retrieve? The one the fish want at the time. It all depends on the mood of the fish. Like any bait, you have to vary the retrieve to find which one the fish will hit. I usually just crank it in like a spinnerbait or lipless crankbait.
Could agree more.
Old 05-07-10, 04:09 PM   #4
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Couple of options for you to try
1) use it like a wake bait and keep it just under the surface
2) slow roll it along the bottom
3) yo-yo it
4) swim it over grass - steady retrieve
5) yo-yo it in grass and drop in the pockets

Hook up ratio to strikes is tricky with this type of bait. I think you need the right set up or you'll miss a lot of strikes. A rod with a less backbone is needed (IMO but I could be wrong).
Old 05-07-10, 07:33 PM   #5
set_the_hook
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Couple of options for you to try
1) use it like a wake bait and keep it just under the surface
2) slow roll it along the bottom
3) yo-yo it
4) swim it over grass - steady retrieve
5) yo-yo it in grass and drop in the pockets

Hook up ratio to strikes is tricky with this type of bait. I think you need the right set up or you'll miss a lot of strikes. A rod with a less backbone is needed (IMO but I could be wrong).
i have a swim jig specific rod by powell. using 17/25 lb fluoro right now, i might switch to 50# braid.
Old 05-07-10, 08:40 PM   #6
3dkicker

Have you done much with it? Miss many fish?

Me personally I use a heavy mono for that type fishing and wouldn't use braid. Haven't tried Fluoro for it yet. Since it's a horizontal presentation I look for a combo that gives a little when the fish sucks the bait and swims off. Kind of like my chatterbait and spinnerbait rods.
Old 05-07-10, 10:00 PM   #7
set_the_hook
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Have you done much with it? Miss many fish?

Me personally I use a heavy mono for that type fishing and wouldn't use braid. Haven't tried Fluoro for it yet. Since it's a horizontal presentation I look for a combo that gives a little when the fish sucks the bait and swims off. Kind of like my chatterbait and spinnerbait rods.

I didn't loose any yet, but the heavier vegetation is coming up and i plan on throwing it in pads soon.
Old 05-10-10, 02:00 PM   #8
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I talked to Brian Thrift(swim jig king) the other day and he said pull it and drop about 1 foot at a time,I have a state qualifier on Norman coming up and I'm going to try I'll let you guys know how it goes
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 04:23 PM   #9
3dkicker

If you go with the braid be sure that when you retrieve it you have a little slack in the line. Just enough to feel the fish suck the bait in. If it's too tight they hit it and you end up missing the fish. Your left wondering how it could have hit the bait so hard and not get hooked.
Old 05-13-10, 01:41 AM   #10
triglet
BassFishin.Com Member

on swimming a jig. I watched a video by kvd and tried it. worked great for me on the tenn-tom the last time i was out there. I was a little unsure if i was getting bites on it or not at first. kept feeling like i was getting in to the grass or debris i was running the bait through and finally just said the heck with it and anytime i felt weight or a hard bump i set the hook. what do u know started catching fish. im still trying to learn about jigs but this retrieve worked great for me that day.
heres the vid may have to copy and paste
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...eo.cfm&k=Clear Water&connectionSpeed=broadband&videoID=678&startR ow=0&videoType=prodcutdemo&option=2&cmid=OLPHVIDEO _678_HIGH
triglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-10, 08:15 AM   #11
Bassboss

I like fishing it much like you would regularly only reeling in fast. I only started catching them on swimjigs after this video, and doing it what he said, most of the time since most the bass here eat mainly bream, I'll use the same colors.
Old 05-13-10, 08:18 AM   #12
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by set_the_hook View Post
i didnt loose any yet, but the heavier vegetation is coming up and i plan on throwing it in pads soon.
You should be fine with heavy mono/flouro, as long as it's a good strong and on the thiner side (helps cut through the pads). As far as the mono flouro debate, I'd try a mix. P-line CX comes to mind, never used it but have heard GREAT things about it, I think it's also on the tinner side, I could be wrong though!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.