Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-26-13, 12:11 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default So crazy it just might work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cIk3...x5wGQuZnLI8cyA

Watchin ol' Bill Dance this morning and saw one of the craziest bass fishing rigs I've ever seen! Say's it works like a charm on suspended fish. Watch this and let me know what ya think!

Basically an over grown float n fly...

Would you try it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bill.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	8502  
Old 01-26-13, 12:21 PM   #2
keithdog

It's a sound rig. I've seen guys in Florida fishing from shore using a similar rig for sea trout, though they were not using swim baits. My computer doesn't have sound right now. Could you tell me what the purpose of the split shot in front of the weighted swimbait is?
Old 01-26-13, 01:14 PM   #3
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
It's a sound rig. I've seen guys in Florida fishing from shore using a similar rig for sea trout, though they were not using swim baits. My computer doesn't have sound right now. Could you tell me what the purpose of the split shot in front of the weighted swimbait is?
I've used a similar rig in Florida now that I think of it. On the other hand, the purpose of the float on that rig on the other hand was to attract attention to the bait, not necessarily keep it at a set depth.

The split shot actually has a supprising complex role. First it gives you a little extra weight for extra distance on the cast. It also "provides more action to the bait and stabilizes the float." In addition it helps prevent the fish from swimming off with the bait unnoticed. "Without the split shot the fish can swim horizontally with the lure several feet - possibly into cover - or swim up with it preventing a good hook set. With the shot added the majority of the strikes will be noticed..." He continues to say that the addition weight will encourage a soft biting bass to swim down rather than up with the lure.
Old 01-26-13, 02:17 PM   #4
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The split shot also helps avoid the bait from rising out of strike zone when you reel setup back...very slowly.
Anyone who's fished a slip bobber setup knows that any time there's
any pull on the line it will 'raise' the bait up and then once at rest again, drops back to strike zone. The split shot helps to keep it down level while bring back lure.
Old 01-26-13, 07:22 PM   #5
kennethdaysale

I like Bill D I really do, but it would be nice to see him film his shows out on real water with public boat ramps/heavy fishing pressure and so forth like he used to do. Every one of his shows I've watched in the past several years have been filmed in the (private) reclaimed phosphate pits of Bienville Fla or ponds on his personal property. I suppose though at this point in his career that's where he's comfortable. If it was me I'd probably be the same way. Still I wish he'd open the show by saying "I'm down at Bienville again today catching fish with a 5lb average because I can and you guys can't"
Old 01-26-13, 08:18 PM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I like Bill D I really do, but it would be nice to see him film his shows out on real water with public boat ramps/heavy fishing pressure and so forth like he used to do. Every one of his shows I've watched in the past several years have been filmed in the (private) reclaimed phosphate pits of Bienville Fla or ponds on his personal property. I suppose though at this point in his career that's where he's comfortable. If it was me I'd probably be the same way. Still I wish he'd open the show by saying "I'm down at Bienville again today catching fish with a 5lb average because I can and you guys can't"
lol, ditto that. Still makes for entertaining TV!
Old 01-26-13, 08:26 PM   #7
bassinbob

I think I have a couple of places to try that out this year.
I don't care where Bill fishes. It's entertaining and I get to see a lot of different ways to catch fish. What fun would it be to see him show ways to catch fish without catching anything? I'm tired of reading a lot of guys whine about where he fishes.
Old 01-26-13, 08:51 PM   #8
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
I think I have a couple of places to try that out this year.
I don't care where Bill fishes. It's entertaining and I get to see a lot of different ways to catch fish. What fun would it be to see him show ways to catch fish without catching anything? I'm tired of reading a lot of guys whine about where he fishes.
I agree. The purpose of his show is to try to teach people about fishing and new fishing techniques. What better way to get someone excited about fishing than seeing ol Bill catch a few pigs? It would be pointless if he didn't catch anything. Plus, Bill is getting up there in years. If he had to spend 3 days trying to film one episode, it might be more trouble than it's worth. The fishing world is a better place with Bill Dance in it.
Old 01-26-13, 11:58 PM   #9
keithdog

I keep watching to see if he is going to fall out of his boat, get chased out of his boat by a snake, fall off the pier, ect....
Old 01-27-13, 12:27 AM   #10
Rebbasser

Interesting.

Keith, at least his rods are safe from ceiling fans
Old 01-27-13, 12:45 AM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Interesting.

Keith, at least his rods are safe from ceiling fans
lol, troll motors can double for that! haha
Old 02-13-13, 07:57 PM   #12
hookset on 3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I agree. The purpose of his show is to try to teach people about fishing and new fishing techniques. What better way to get someone excited about fishing than seeing ol Bill catch a few pigs? It would be pointless if he didn't catch anything. Plus, Bill is getting up there in years. If he had to spend 3 days trying to film one episode, it might be more trouble than it's worth. The fishing world is a better place with Bill Dance in it.

Amen to that! He is a fine man. I don't know if I've ever heard a negative thing said about his character and how he conducts himself, in all the decades he's been on TV.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.