Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-08, 09:44 AM   #1
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default question about pros

i am just curious.so i thought i would ask.how is it that people like kvd can stay on top constently. beating thousands of anglers who could be tour guides and people who write bass books.who know structure and everything else about bass.so what are the top pro doing to win it that the other proes can't and are not doing to stay on top consistantly.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 10:21 AM   #2
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

In my opinion its cofidence. Just like Michael jordan wanted the ball in the last seconds, Or any other top pro of the sport.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 10:51 AM   #3
Jim80

just like any other sport practice , confidence and natural talent make perfection most times it's all what you are willing to put into it .
Old 06-20-08, 10:55 AM   #4
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

That's a very good question and one I've thought a lot about. I hope you get lots of responses to this. Re: KVD in particular, here's my take from what I've read and observed about him through the years:

1.Passion. I think you've got to be passionate about the sport and I think he is. That's what keeps him going day after endless day on the road and on the water. To me Passion is the foundation of being a long time successful pro. If you don't have the passion, you won't last.

2.Sixth sense or being able to think like a fish. I've fished with a rare few individuals through the years that just had a sixth sense about fish---where they live, how they want a bait presented, what bait they want on a particular day, speed of retrieve etc. I've asked those select few how they do what they do and they'll tell you "I don't know, I just know" or something like that. I think it's a sixth sense, something that is beyond thought. From time to time I will get in the "Zone" myself when fishing and it's almost an out-of-body experience. I'll kind of get a tingling sensation and just know I'm going to catch a fish on this cast and will. I don't get in the Zone often but when I do, it's amazing. Every see the footage of Rick Clunn when he came from way, way behind to win the Classic? His eyes were big as dollars. He was so in the Zone that day it was scarry. I think the true greats of the sport like Clunn and KVD have a sixth sense that you and I don't have. I think it's a gift from God that they've honed to perfection. It's a gift just like A-Rod, Jordon, Woods, Manning and other athletes have and no matter how hard we try, we'll never match them because of their God-given ability.

3.Skill. Ever see KVD roll cast a spinnerbait at targets? He can set it on a quarter without a splash. Unbelievably accurate and with the speed of a gunslinger. The best spinnerbait presentation in the business.

4.Time on the water. There is NO substitute for experience.

I could go on but hopefully someone else will respond. I'd like to hear more answers to this question.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 11:51 AM   #5
Fish2win

One thing that has not been methoined. Several years a go a guy named Loren Hill who is responsable for a lot of the behavioral lKnowledge we have about bass tested the skin oil in the top three ranking pros of the day. He has found that human skin oil contains a substance called L-Serine. He had also found that bass were very affended by the scent of L serine. When he tested the top three he found that the amount of this substance was unnaturally low in thier chemical make up than the avarage person on the street that he tested.
This is not the only answer but a contributeing factor. The rest is fishing where the fish are instead of where they are not. This sounds dumb I know but only about 20% of the water holds active bass at any given time. Knowing the ingredients that it takes to hold the bass and staying with your strengths is huge.
Seasonal patterns, forage, cover, depth and an excape route to deep water are essential. Recognizing migration routes and defineing edges are all high skill requirments. The more time you spend on the water the better your instincts become.
KVD himself will tell you that he is a prodcuct of growing up with bassmaster mag and shows. Most of what we know about the sport has been learned in the last 35 years. He grew up in that time frame and learned as the old time pros learned. A bass in 1950 and a bass in 2008 are the same animal. A bass in Ny and a bass in California are the same animal all reacting to the same factors in much the same way.
The question is how good are we at defining the factors?
Fish2win
Old 06-21-08, 02:51 PM   #6
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

all really good points.but i think theirs more to the equation than that.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 05:55 PM   #7
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

That's pretty neat about the L-Serine, F2W!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-08, 08:11 PM   #8
MIbasser

I've met/know some guys in who are 20 years his senior here in Michigan and have told me stories that KVD smoked them when he was teenager at a lot of local tx's.... I think that he's just that good. The other part that I heard is his brother was actually a better angler then KVD.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 03:07 PM   #9
Fish2win

I have heard that rumor about his brother also. It also helps that the family marine bussiness supported him while he was getting started. Fish2win

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.