Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-06, 11:31 PM   #1
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default color of hooks

does the color of yalls hooks change your catch rate? like is bronze better or black? i am thinking that bronze would be better for overcast days and black for sunny days. what is yalls expirience?
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 11:34 PM   #2
Tnbasser
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Tnbasser

Yes they matter. As for bronze or black, thats no difference, but now red... I have noticed a dramatic increase in catch ratio by switching to red front hooks on cranks and topwaters and red hooks on worms or spinnerbaits. I know those on here will argue, but they DO make a differance.
Tnbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 11:37 PM   #3
treehugger8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to treehugger8

Ya i agree i noticed that red trebels put on the front of a crankbait helps with sluggish fish. Also they hit it more aggressivly.
treehugger8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 12:39 AM   #4
Rodman_Rob

I don't know if they help or not. We know red is the first color to disapear in the color spectrum the deeper the lure goes. Basically that will tell you a red hook or anything red for that matter won't be visible in deeper water. In shallow water it might help trigger predatory strikes but there are a million variables making that determination almost impossible to make. My personal opinion, I don't think it hurts anything and because there is the possibility of it helping, I use them just in case they do help.
Old 06-13-06, 01:00 AM   #5
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Due to all the chatter about red hooks in the past few weeks, I've done some thinking on the subject, and my thinking is that even though the color red is supposed to be the first to vanish, it is my opinion that the movement of the hook on the bait allows the color to be seen from time to time at different angles, thus the bass may think they notice or see a spot of blood coming from the lure, and that maybe the answer for the supposed increase in the strike ratio....Just maybe ?? It made sense to me anyway. I have and use primarily 1/0, 2/0, and 3/0 gamakatsu's now, and I'm very happy with them.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 06:42 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

On the subject of the red being the first color to disappear I beleive that that may be true in lab experiments but not so in real life. Red may very well be the first color to be hard for a bass to see. My personal thoughts are using red could make a small difference because of thinking like this. Bass are predators and when they see blood (red) they will strike. Craws are at times VERY red and at that time of year a red craw or a rattle trap in red are great baits. Bass dont see color they see different shades so why not use the shade.... of the color... that causes them to strike
Old 06-13-06, 10:40 AM   #7
Captmikestarrett

Default Red yes

I like red Gammy 5/0 wide gap hooks because when the red wears off it is shiney. Red is OK but shiney is better.

Capt Mike
Old 06-13-06, 05:46 PM   #8
Bo Dale James Jr.

Now, I read in Field and Stream June 2006 page 42.
"In dim light of deeper water fish can see dark baits better than brightly colored ones"

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.