Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-13-06, 04:45 PM   #1
floridabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default fishing thick lillies

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas for fishing thick pads besides toads and jigs? I usually go with senkos but always seem to catch the little guys on that one.
floridabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 05:05 PM   #2
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Im not a big jig user, do try and fail quite regularly. I actually try to throw out a soft plastic w/ exposed hook deep in the middle and attempt to clear a few openings in the mat. If Im the only one in that area I'll cruise down the mat line and do this in 5-6 places, then go back and work the area like normal. If Im hittin a bunch of smaller fish, I'll put a split shot on and hopefully get it down deep faster. If not Im fine w/ smaller bass, at least Im catchin.
Old 06-13-06, 06:37 PM   #3
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Use a Heavier Bullet weight, like 3/4 oz - 1 1/2 oz for your t-rigged plastics. I also like to work weightless plastics in them. Use some Cooking spray(Garlic flavored) to make the plastic slick. And work it slowly, and twitch it when it's in a opening. A Black Lizard works well, along with the Fluke. The Flukes when worked correctly will swim around, and bump into some of the stuff, but won't get hung up much.

Lizards
Old 06-13-06, 07:15 PM   #4
pig n jig

A portable generator and a peice of rerod wired up to it to probe the shallow water where the lily pads grow will produce every living creature in the area. Wear good rubber gloves and suspend your self on a rubber mat. If your in an aluminum boat, do not let the probe touch the boat. it will melt a hole through the hull quicker than you can say, Oh sh!t.The good thing is if it happens, your in shallow water where the lily pads grow. once you start taking on water, you will find the need to shut the generator off as soon as possible.Stay calm, dont pee your pants from excitement , or the shock from the generator. Urine is basically a salt water solution of sorts, which is proven to be a great electrical conductor. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 08:35 PM   #5
flamez
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

lol lizi just got back was flipping a tiki lizard in black with blue flake as soon as i flipped it into this TINY pocket the line started running off other then that only other bite i got was off my chatterbait both we about same size 1 1/2 lbs i just wish the water level would go back up about 1/4 -1/2 mile from shore is only 3 feet deep!!
Old 06-14-06, 04:51 AM   #6
zooker

pnj
sercert way to bass fishing sucess huh ??

zooker
Old 06-14-06, 07:00 PM   #7
B.D. jR
BassFishin.Com Member

And all this time I thought you actually knew what you were talking about PNJ! You know they make medication for someone who thinks the way you do. Tell them the one about the fence charger hooked up to an old tyme telephone. Thats a good one!!!
B.D. jR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 07:15 PM   #8
zooker

umm that would be me.. not pnj.. he aint rich enough to have a phone.old or not..

zooker
Old 06-14-06, 07:47 PM   #9
JB

the gizit tube worm with tenacles is the number one choice up here for pads, theres only one lake that has a ton of them, Indian lake,
I've thrown about every kinda lure in and around them and they all work sometimes, but I notice the locals flipping a gizit day n and out
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 08:59 PM   #10
big redneck fisher
BassFishin.Com Member

spiner bait if the mat not to bad may bring some big boys up to the top and u can make a trail with them and have a claer area to fish something eles after
Old 06-14-06, 09:12 PM   #11
pig n jig

Zooker, You know I lived 27 years without a phone ?I ask myself, why the hell do I need one now for ? Oh yeah, the internet, so I can be here. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-06, 07:09 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.D. jR
And all this time I thought you actually knew what you were talking about PNJ! You know they make medication for someone who thinks the way you do. Tell them the one about the fence charger hooked up to an old tyme telephone. Thats a good one!!!
LMAO!!!!! PNJ I can send ya some of my meds. LMAO!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-06, 08:24 AM   #13
m cress
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Big Redneck is right, I've used spinnerbaits with some success in pads that are pretty thick. If you cast right to the middle of em' it'll usually punch through. The lure will stay below the pads and the line will sort of just cut between the pads naturally while retrieving.
m cress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-06, 06:16 PM   #14
zooker

pnj
still usin the "shack out back" huh?

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.