Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-13-06, 08:41 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default How Long?

How many months do you keep that braid on or anyother line before you change it? I am getting ready to respool, its been since march...I think the more I tie a polamar knot on the braid, I loose about a foot on the tag, after months that adds up!
anyone else share this obsession?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 08:51 PM   #2
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

its been over a year with the same spool. its getting a little whitish and frayed throughout the spool, prolly a good time to respool.
Old 06-13-06, 08:54 PM   #3
Rebbasser

Not with braid-I have a couple rods with braid several years old. Mono and flouro I change every few trips. I pull off about 3-4 long casts worth of line and fill the spool back up with fresh line.
Old 06-13-06, 08:56 PM   #4
JB

thats good info right there~ I'll put more braid on my baitcasters, instead of 80%mono backing and then the braid, that way it can last the rest of the season and then some......
Old 06-13-06, 09:02 PM   #5
Rebbasser

If you spool up completely with braid you can wind it from one reel to another and get essentially new braid-what you were tying lures to on one reel is now on the bottom next to the spool on the other.
Old 06-13-06, 09:07 PM   #6
flfireman

Follow Rebs advice, I did. I spool about 40 yards of mono, then spool the rest up with power pro. Once the braid starts looking bad, I spool it in reverse to another reel. Figure $22.00 per spool of 300 yrds X14 reels. This way I save a bunch of money. I have a spare reel that I spool everything to. Im not rich so it saves me a little, well not really. The extra money just goes towards whatever the bait monkey wants.
Old 06-13-06, 09:30 PM   #7
jordan41
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to jordan41 Send a message via Yahoo to jordan41

i just change it every year.
Old 06-13-06, 09:43 PM   #8
JB

reb,
you tie the braid to braid using polomar knot or a blood knot?
Old 06-13-06, 10:08 PM   #9
Rebbasser

JB, I just use a simple overhand knot for a couple of reasons. One, no bass is going to spool me, and two, when I can feel the knot it is time to respool.
Old 06-14-06, 05:05 AM   #10
zooker

every 6 months i do a reel to reel change after a year it goes to the grey hole....

zooker
Old 06-14-06, 06:40 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
If you spool up completely with braid you can wind it from one reel to another and get essentially new braid-what you were tying lures to on one reel is now on the bottom next to the spool on the other.
I do the reel to reel thing with braid but when it starts to get the fuzzy frays farther into the line I usually change it out. Even though pricey you dont wanna chance line that has been compromised. Remeber the line is the main connection between you and possibly the fish of a lifetime.
Old 06-14-06, 02:27 PM   #12
bassnman30

You could just rewind the spool backwards on another reel. Fresh line, the old line is on the bottum. Thats of course if enough line is still on the spool that your removing the line from. In the event that you don't have enough, then just pull the old off and change with new. This is good with mono, or flouro.
If you still have enough, then the old can still be used as a backup. i.e. I use Andy for my back ups. (poor line, great for back ups to good line).
Old 06-14-06, 09:18 PM   #13
pig n jig

Its been 5 years since I spooled up the Toray mono and it still is working great. It did change color, but it still hasn't broken off any fish yet. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-06, 01:17 AM   #14
bassguy2004
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I respool my the mono on my reels every month. The braid I change every 3 months. Just because.
Old 06-15-06, 09:13 PM   #15
lizardsrule

JB,

You have now fished with it for awhile. You can see when it needs to be retied or replaced, which is one fo the great things about it IMO. Whenever it needs to be replaced, just do it lol. I will say that on all of my Baitcasters I have with wiffle spools, I no longer even use a backing. So the line lasts for a very, very, very long time. On my spinning equipment I spool 1/2 with backing, then the Braid/Fused. IMO spinning outfits start to lose distance around 1/2 spool, while the baitcasters really don't seem to have that issue, so spool it all the way up. Means less time changing line, and more time fishing.

Lizards
Old 06-15-06, 09:51 PM   #16
treehugger8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to treehugger8

I put backing on my baitcasters but dont really understand what difference it makes. I was just told to put backing on cuz it helps. lol stupid question sorry but i had to ask
treehugger8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-06, 10:02 PM   #17
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger8
I put backing on my baitcasters but dont really understand what difference it makes. I was just told to put backing on cuz it helps. lol stupid question sorry but i had to ask
Not a stupid question at all. There are a couple of benefits doing the backing. The first is price, cheap mono is a heck of a lot cheeper than the Superlines. Secondly when you have a spool that doesn't have a wiffle, the superlines will not grip it, however the mono does. Thereby giving you a tight place to start. Electricl tape or other ways can also solve this porblem, but backing won't hurt you at all, unless you let it get to the rod, then your knot, and strength will be a losing proposition with a good fish.

Lizards
Old 06-15-06, 10:09 PM   #18
treehugger8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to treehugger8

Ok thanks for clearing that up. Ur not lying superline is EXPENSIVE$$$$$$
treehugger8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-06, 03:51 PM   #19
bassnman30

I find that with a "wiffle" spool i.e. LEWS Speed spools, they can hold alot of line. Thats when I use a back up. I never see the knot or have any problems with this type spool.
Just make sure that you (or as I do) make a super long cast, then pull out appx. 40 -50 yds of remaining line. With regular spools just take off all the line and respool.
Thats only if youv'e still got a full spool,and want to change it over to good line by retieing to another spool. Just retie and crank. All the used line will be on the bottum and the good lie will be on top.
(already mentioned in another post)

Last edited by bassnman30; 06-16-06 at 03:58 PM.
bassnman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-06, 09:37 PM   #20
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

exactly what rebasser said. I do a "reel to reel" transfer and the braid at the bottom of the spool is like new. Whola, good for another year or two.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.