Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-08-09, 10:03 AM   #1
bassFishingWNY
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Plastic worm, and a bobber

The weeds are getting thicker now, and the first few twitches of my rod tip, and all I have is weeds on. Even with T-rig. So I put a bobber on, around 3 feet up from the worm.
I found that most times, I can twitch it all the way back to shore, and most times have no weed hookup. It dose catch fish. It works good because it’s easier to watch the bobber, then the line, and no weeds.
It’s nothing I read, it’s just something I tried, and it seems to work.

Just fish the plastic worm like you normally would, and watch your bobber. You will see it bob a few times, then take off, or go under water. My not work were you fish, but work great here.
bassFishingWNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 10:43 AM   #2
swimbaitkid

Use a light(1/4oz or 3/8oz) Carolina rig, you will get junk on your weight but usually the worm or lizard comes though clean
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 11:12 AM   #3
bassFishingWNY

I heard that weed, of any kind, and the fish run away. Being on your lure, or sinker? I would not want weeds on my bait only less then an inch from my bait?
bassFishingWNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 01:13 PM   #4
swimbaitkid

use mono and a long leader, the mono will help give the bait some lift off the bottom, you wont get any weeds on your worm or plastic if you t-rigs it
Old 06-08-09, 01:20 PM   #5
OrygunBasser

I know that this seems to be a "Really Dumb" way of Bass fishing, but I will tell you that it is the bomb for grass flats!

But this is the way I do it!!

If any of you have ever steelhead fished, you know what a "Corky" is! If not, they are a cork ball that comes in various sizes and colors. I like one that is a bright chartruse and a large one that is a little larger than a standard sized marble! Put it on the line first and peg it with a toothpick so you can slide it up and down on the line to whatever depth you want. I use a size 2 wide gap and no weight and a small bait of your choice. Wacky is good for this!

Now, this little Corky will not hold your bait from sinking, but when it starts to sink you know that your bait is just above the grass. Then you start a slow twitch back to the boat!

Some strikes are so soft that all you see is the Corky just bump a little!

This is a killer system that will fill your livewell on a slow day!
Old 06-08-09, 03:20 PM   #6
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

my friend caught 1 doin that yesterday! works great with choppy water
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 03:25 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassFishingWNY View Post
The weeds are getting thicker now, and the first few twitches of my rod tip, and all I have is weeds on. Even with T-rig. So I put a bobber on, around 3 feet up from the worm.
I found that most times, I can twitch it all the way back to shore, and most times have no weed hookup. It dose catch fish. It works good because it’s easier to watch the bobber, then the line, and no weeds.

Just fish the plastic worm like you normally would, and watch your bobber. You will see it bob a few times, then take off, or go under water. My not work were you fish, but work great here.
If you're T-rigging correctly, you shouldn't get weeds on the lure. You may on the weight if it's too heavy. Try fishing an 1/8 or 1/16oz weight.

Quote:
I heard that weed, of any kind, and the fish run away. Being on your lure, or sinker? I would not want weeds on my bait only less then an inch from my bait?

BB
Old 06-08-09, 06:13 PM   #8
keithdog

You may have stumbled onto something worth checking into bassFishing. It is those "why not give this a try" ideas that often score big, even if they seem odd. I saw my little brother do the same thing with a 1/4 oz. jig and a bobber. I was having a good laugh as he rigged it up. Thought it was crazy, untill his first cast landed a nice 4 pounder. My jaw dropped and he definately had the last laugh.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 08:03 PM   #9
bamabassman

sounds interesting for real. hmmmmmmmmmmmm. ow,yea, i know. it danger when i start thinking like this. lol.
Old 06-08-09, 10:57 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Nothing wrong with that. Fish are caught on a crappie jig fished under a bobber on a routine basis, so why not a plastic worm?

I think rigging it wacky would be extremely productive.
Old 06-08-09, 11:02 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Kinda like the Float n fly, but with a worm. I think I will try this with a wacky worm.

BB
Old 06-09-09, 11:22 AM   #12
swimbaitkid

In the magazine BASSIN, they had an article(couple years ago) about a wacky rig with a bobber, thats actually the first time I saw a wacky rig, I didnt have any bobbers when I wanted to try it, and ended up catching a ton of fish without the bobber and the now the wacky rig is one of my favorite techniques
Old 06-09-09, 05:36 PM   #13
Plitz
BassFishin.Com Member

Saw this in 3 different magazine articles so far.Seems as though a slip bobber and wacky senko is the way to go.
Plitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 11:42 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

if it's catching you some fish then stick with it. however when t-rigging a plastic worm in weeds, you can get a lot of the grass off the weight by popping your rod tip real sharp 2 or 3 times when you feel it getting heavy from weeds.
Old 06-10-09, 08:43 AM   #15
Crank-Bait-Frank

Quote:

I'm glad this is working for you, sounds like a good idea.
I like to rig my T-rig weedless on a 1/8 oz weighted 5/0 hook. I don't have any problems with weeds this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hook.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	3739  
Old 06-10-09, 01:21 PM   #16
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank-Bait-Frank View Post
I'm glad this is working for you, sounds like a good idea.
I like to rig my T-rig weedless on a 1/8 oz weighted 5/0 hook. I don't have any problems with weeds this way.
It's actually not "Having a problem with weeds" It's a way of presenting your lure over the top of the weeds in a slower presentation! When there is just a slight chop, the wacky rig will wiggle like crazy as it drifts over the weeds under a float!
Old 06-10-09, 02:53 PM   #17
Crank-Bait-Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrygunBasser View Post
It's actually not "Having a problem with weeds" It's a way of presenting your lure over the top of the weeds in a slower presentation! When there is just a slight chop, the wacky rig will wiggle like crazy as it drifts over the weeds under a float!
Thank you for clarifying. If you would have read what I wrote and I quote

"I'm glad this is working for you, sounds like a good idea."

And then I shared how I like to do my presentation.
"I like to rig my T-rig weedless on a 1/8 oz weighted 5/0 hook. I don't have any problems with weeds this way."

Is there a problem with that?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.