Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-12-12, 01:05 PM   #1
EdK
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spinning Reel

For under $110 what is a good choice. Will be used for small crankbaits, squarebill, flatsides, etc.
Thanls Ed
EdK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 01:31 PM   #2
F16 1UB
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Shimano SE2500FD - This reel is smooth as silk and a bargain. Pull it up and look at it on any site. $59.99. I use it for the same thing you do & then some.....You won't be sorry.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 04:04 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Welcome to the site Ed!

Picking out a reel is a lot of personal preference. But getting us as much info as you can will help us make recommendations.

Do you have a rod for the reel yet? What rod/specs? What line will you use using? Are there any features you really like in a reel? Are you looking for a faster reel or a slower one?

For sub $100 reels, I've had good experience with Pfluegers. I'm also a big fan of Daiwa's higher end spinning reels, but haven't used any of the lower end ones. I personally haven't had good experiences with the couple Shimano's I've used in the $80 range, but I seem to be in the minority on that one. Also, they've worked a lot of features down the hierarchy since I last tried one a couple years ago.

BB
Old 11-12-12, 06:08 PM   #4
EdK
BassFishin.Com Member

Rod is a Loomis SJR 782. Line is 10# mono.
EdK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 08:04 PM   #5
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Take a look at the new Shimano Symetre ..a lot of reel for $99. And even though I don't own one I've heard good stuff about the Pfleugers BB mentioned.

***you know a nice rod like that would really pair well with a Shimano Stradic CI4.....90 over your budget but IMO in a class worthy of your rod (and you)
Old 11-13-12, 12:15 AM   #6
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Take a look at the new Shimano Symetre ..a lot of reel for $99.
Ditto. I have several, and they are the best spinning reels I have ever used, and believe me, I have used a bunch.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Old 11-13-12, 12:00 PM   #7
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Take a look at the new Shimano Symetre ..a lot of reel for $99.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Ditto. I have several, and they are the best spinning reels I have ever used, and believe me, I have used a bunch.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
x3. I have several Symetres and love them all. Welcome to the site!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 08:34 PM   #8
Marty

I've used mostly Daiwa Regal Z's that cost about $50 and one Gander for about $60. They hold line, they cast and retrieve lures, they have smooth drags and there's not much more I ask of a reel. There are many moderately priced reels that perform well.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 09:35 PM   #9
bassboogieman

I'm a Pfluegerr fan myself, especailly for spinning, and I use the Supreme reels.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 05:58 PM   #10
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I'm a Pfluegerr fan myself, especailly for spinning, and I use the Supreme reels.
X 2 on the Pflueger

I have a Supreme XT that I use for drop shotting. I will be buying another for shaky heads/split shot.

Theses can be had all over eBay for right around 100-130 bucks brand new.
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 11:37 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

6'6" M F rod. Haven't handled once myself, but given my experience with Loomis rods, it's probably pretty light and fairly well balanced. The 6'6" M F casting rod is a fun little rod, I imaging the spinning rod is similar.

So you don't want a reel that will unnecessarily weight down the combo too much, but you need one big enough to efficiently control a 10lb mono. The mono will make a difference as well. A good manageable mono like Sufix Elite will help with that.

Anyways, something in the 2500 size will probably suit your needs well. With shallow cranks, especially squarebills, you can get away with a fast reel as well.

Again, this is all just personal opinion, but if you were to up your budget to Shimano CI4 range, I'd stay away from that reel. I don't think it compares to other reels in the price range. I'd take the Pflueger Patriarch or Daiwa Ballistic (I've never handled this one though), or even the normal Stradic. Although the Stradic still has a bit of a weight problem, IMO.

Back into your price range though, I think the Pflueger Supreme MGX would be your best bet. Probably the 8/130 size. A good mix of light weight and good performance. IMO one of the best bang for your buck reels.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.