Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-08, 08:44 PM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Copolymer

For years, I have fished with a copolymer line. Now, it seems everyone is using flourocarbon on most of their rods with the exception of topwater setups.

What exactly is the difference between copolymer and fluorocarbon?
What is the difference between copolymer and mono (I thought copolymer is mono)?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 08:48 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

wishin' get out the Visine and grab a beverage of your choice while I kill 4 minutes of your evening.
Superlines are thinner than other lines of the same lb test. That allows you to cast farther using a thinner line with the same strength. They are more sensitive than other types because they offer no stretch. However, since they are opaque, they are very visable in the water, causing line-shy fish to be disinterested. Mono, copolymer, and fluoro lines are all similar or share characteristics or one another. All three have some stretch, lower visability (fluoro being the best there), and good all around tensile strength.

Monofilament - single strand nylon. Good all-around application. Mono will stretch, absorb water, retain some strength when knicked.

Copolymer - usually made up of different nylons combined or a combo of nylon and Spectra fibers. Fishes quite like mono does. Thinner than mono, slightly less abrasion resistant (although some claim it's the other way around), and less visable in the water. Usually a little more expensive. Good for most situations.

Fluorocarbon - made from carbon based resins (fluoro-carbon), heated and pressed. Typically not as strong as other lines of the same diameter, however, since the refractive index is closest to water, your line is "nearly invisable" to fish. This allows you to compensate for the line strength difference by upp'ing your lb test and retain some stealth at the same time.

SUPERLINES
Fused - gel-spun polyethylene is heated, then pulled to make strands. The strands are then compressed and bonded together to make one single strand. Fused line is strong, abrasion resistant, has no stretch and no memory.

Braid - typically made from woven fibers of either nylon or Spectra-type material. The strands are woven tight and compressed. This causes the line to be very thin for it's rated breakng strength, no stretch, and highly visable (with the exception of a select few newer braids that attempt to be semi-transparent)
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 09:18 PM   #3
wareagledc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

great answer jb. my only question is are superlines as visable as braid?
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 09:49 PM   #4
Wishing2BFishing

JB, now that is very detailed answer . . . but, I still have questions.

Is copolymer less buoyant than flouro?

I've been fishing copolymer for many years. More recently, I have really become a crankbaiter. Should I be using flouro for crankbaits instead of the copolymer?

Which brand flourocarbon is strong yet limp with not much memory (all the attributes that I like about the copolymer that I use).

PS. I didn't need to get the Visine out . . . at least not yet.
Old 12-30-08, 11:13 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Copolymer is more bouyant than fluoro, most all lines are. Fluoro is heaver than other lines and will sink faster, that's why most don't use it for topwaters.

I've used, P-line fluoro, Seaguar InvisX, Seaguar Carbon Pro, and Stren 100% fluoro. The seaguar had been my favorite, I'll use either, but I think the InvisX is a bit better. I have yet to try their new abrasx or whatever it's called.

BB
Old 12-30-08, 10:57 PM   #6
Wishing2BFishing

Is copolymer less buoyant than traditional mono?
Old 12-31-08, 02:02 AM   #7
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
JB, now that is very detailed answer . . . but, I still have questions.

Is copolymer less buoyant than flouro?

I've been fishing copolymer for many years. More recently, I have really become a crankbaiter. Should I be using flouro for crankbaits instead of the copolymer?

Which brand flourocarbon is strong yet limp with not much memory (all the attributes that I like about the copolymer that I use).

PS. I didn't need to get the Visine out . . . at least not yet.
coploymer is probably more buoyant in most cases. A coploymer line is simply a line composed of two or more monomers. Nylon usually being one and the other(s) monomer(s) can vary. As a result, not all equal. One coploymer can be a combination of two different nylons or something like a mono line coated with fluorocarbon. A coploymer line composed of say two nylons would be more buoyant that a flurocarbon coated coploymer.

The copolymer I have used is Pline's CX Premium and it like other Plines has memory up the Ying Yang. What copolymer are you using that doesn't have that much memory?

Seaguar's invizx is among the limpest of fluorocarbons and it is my FC line of choice. It is limp and exhibits to me many traits of mono which I really like. Just keep in mind that FC lines are not equal in the limpness department as some are as stiff as XT.

It is not so much FC line's weight that makes it sink. It is its density that makes it sink.

As for using it with cranks, I think you would like it. I know I do. Either Mono or FC line for cranks for me.
Old 12-31-08, 10:30 AM   #8
Wishing2BFishing

What copolymer are you using that doesn't have that much memory?

Islandbass,

I have been using McCoy Mean Green Extreme Copolymer for years. It is a very good line. Super strong, very limp, not much memory.
Old 12-31-08, 11:06 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

After I tried it from recomendations form this board, I prefer P-Line Fluoroclear. It is essentially mono coated in fluorocarbon.

Anyone try any of the other P-Line ones? like CX, CXX, Evolution?

BB
Old 12-31-08, 02:38 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
After I tried it from recomendations form this board, I prefer P-Line Fluoroclear. It is essentially mono coated in fluorocarbon.

Anyone try any of the other P-Line ones? like CX, CXX, Evolution?

BB
i have used the CX and i really like it. i have bought all new crankbait rods that have a lot softer tip so i could make up for the lack of stretch in these lines and so far i really like the CX. i haven't used the evolution yet but i have a buddy that uses it and swears that it is a great line.
Old 12-31-08, 08:31 PM   #11
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i just bought a spool of silver thread excalibur, my 1st copolymer. going this route instead of a flouro. let ya'll know when we start fishing again in feb
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 07:30 AM   #12
pig n jig

Not everyone is staying with fluorocarbon lines for every lure application.You might find you need at least braid and copolymer lines. Then fluorocarbon if you think you need a sinking line to better suit your lure presentation. Line visability is a joke, maybe green copolymer is the least visable line of any. Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.