Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-14-05, 04:13 PM   #1
Bladerunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bladerunner
Default another Ques. on texas rig

do you need to use a slider weight if you have a weighted jig head, or is using both going to make the line too heavy?
i just bought some weighted jig heads( which i didnt use before) so i wasnt sure if i had to continue with the slider too...thanks
Bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-05, 04:37 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: another Ques. on texas rig

I use one or the other, but not both at the same time. The only time I use a lead head with a worm is when I'm using a finesse (small straight tailed) worm on spinning tackle. Otherwise I use a regular T-rig-a hook and a bullet sinker.

If you are using a jig head but need more weight the easiest thing to do is just use a bigger lead head.

Not related, but if I am fishing a spinnerbait I need to stay deep I'll add a bullet sinker before I tie the bait on-helps keep the bait down in the water column.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-05, 05:56 PM   #3
Bladerunner
BassFishin.Com Member

good to know,thanks
yea i went out for a little bit before i got the reply and tried it for about 2 minutes w/ both on there,,little too heavy.lol it was like throwin out a brick.
said to myself, "this obviously cant be right having this slider with the weighted jig head"

also: what is a recommended hook/size for using w/ a worm? the reason i ask that is, there's hooks you tie directly to your line and then theres hooks that have the 6 or 8" leader w/ the loop that you just attach onto a swivel.. are those a no-no or does it really matter?
& as far as size of the hook, i dont wanna be using a hook thats too big for the fish to even get his mouth around

i happen to find a hook in my tackel box and on the backside of the hook there's a couple of small barbs that come out, just below the eyehole is that to get a better hold on your plactic worm or what ever your using? i was guessing thats what they're there for
Old 05-14-05, 06:13 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah, Jim, that's what the barbs are for. Â*The size of the hook depends on the size of the worm. Â*for a small worm about the diameter of a pencil I use a 1/0 or 2/0 size. Â*For a thicker worm I use a 3/0 or 4/0.

There are two kinds of hooks I use most often. Â*An offset shank worm hook for smaller diameter baits:

and an extra wide gap (EWG) for thicker baits:

If you are using a thicker bait the EWG hook has enough room to get a good hookset.

I haven't decided if the red hooks make a difference or not. Â*Some folks think they do, I haven't used them enough yet.

The hooks with a leader like you are referring to are probably snelled hooks which are best for live bait.

You mentioned swivels-the onlytime I use them is on a Carolina rig, and I NEVER use a brass snap swivel-one of these:

They tend to come open, and after losing my favorite crankbait as a kid I haven't used one since-I tie directly to the line.
Old 05-14-05, 06:31 PM   #5
Bladerunner
BassFishin.Com Member

ok great, i think i may even have some of those (the one's in the top picture)
ok, now ive been going w/ the weedless set-up, (bringing the tip of the hook back into the worm)cause i fish around alot of cover, and that works great cause im not pulling all kinds of small branches & what not,
but the one thing i dont get about that set-up is, how does the hook set in their mouth if the tip is in the bait? does the hook tip come through the other side of your bait and catch them in the mouth or how does that work? i had a couple of good taps on my line yesterday just couldnt snag em,
was thinking maybe i have the tip of the hook pushed back in to the worm too far?
Old 05-14-05, 09:06 PM   #6
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Reb, what brand are those EWGs?
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-05, 10:22 PM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Marty,I think they are BPS-that's where I went to find the picture.

bigjim, when you set the hook with a worm the pull on the line forces the point of the hook through the plastic and into the fish's mouth. That's why you need at least a medium heavy rod and why I use braid-better hooksets.
Old 05-15-05, 02:58 AM   #8
Bladerunner
BassFishin.Com Member

ahhhhhh.. ok that makes sense.. theres so much to know/learn when you go from live bait to lures
Old 05-15-05, 12:50 PM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah, but ain't it fun ;D?
Old 05-15-05, 08:15 PM   #10
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466
Default Re: another Ques. on texas rig Marty,I think they

Quote:
Marty,I think they are BPS-that's where I went to find the picture.
Thanks, I'll check them out. I like locking bends.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.