Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-16-10, 09:14 PM   #1
Apt79
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Another Line Question

I know that we have had the discussion on the best quality lines but what I want to know is what line do you prefer to use when you are running crank baits. I like to use a florocarbon. Ive been trying different brands and so for the best for me is the p-line. What do you all think about what line to use for crankin and what brand.
Apt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 09:30 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I run the same combo for all my cranks (I know, a med/deep crankin stick on high on my list). So I don't use fluorocarbon because I don't want my shallow cranks to sink.

I run 12lb Sufix Siege mono on mine and love it. When I get a mid/deep cranking setup, I'll move to a 10lb line. Either Seaguar InvisX fluorocarbon or Sufix Deep Cranking Mono.

BB
Old 10-16-10, 09:56 PM   #3
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

8lb P-Line CXX. Its light line but that stuff is TOUGH!
Old 10-16-10, 10:42 PM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

#12 CXX for me right now on my CB rod. I give it a shot of KVD conditioner every now and then. Like Cavs said though, it is some tough stuff.
Old 10-16-10, 11:23 PM   #5
Tavery5

My shallow crankbait setup is a Shimano Citica, that I changed the gears out on to make it a 5.1:1 reel, it is paired with a Shimano Crucial 6'6" crankbait rod. I use 12# Seaguar Abraz-X FC on it. Most of my shallow crankbait fishing is done to cover, so the 6'6" rod helps with the accuracy and the flouro has great abrasion resistance, combine that with low stretch and increased sensitivity and that is why I use FC. I use the same line for my Med/Deep cranks as well, the FC will get you an extra 1-2 ft in depth.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 08:03 AM   #6
rrw4258

I am running 10 lb. CXX right now, and I have been pretty happy with it. Like others said, spary it down with KVD L&L and it is good to go.

Ryan
Old 10-17-10, 08:26 AM   #7
keithdog

I usually have 3 crankbait setups going at a time. Deep, med, and shallow depth cranks. My medium and deep diving crank rigs are paired with 12 pound mono. My shallow crank rod carries 14 pound mono. I prefer the 14 for shallow as I'm not looking for depth, and in shallow water I'm cranking around brush and other cover, so I prefer a stronger line than 12 pound. I'll use that shallow crankin rod for topwater at times. This year I was using Suffix Elite and really liked it. I'm tossing around the idea of trying P Line Flouroclear this next year as I was using that for other applications this year and loved it. Thanks Reb for getting me started with Flouroclear!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 08:59 AM   #8
walkeraviator

This year I was runnin5 15lb Big Game on EVERY rod i own... and let me tell you, even with a cast as long as a fooball field i had a hard time getting a Strike King Series 6XD deeper than about 10-12ft.... line is a huge deal on teh deep divers... My inetention is to buy a 7'MH Crankin Stick from BPS and a 4.7:1 Pro Qualifier, then use BPS 10lb Flouro on it for my series 5+ strike kings and fat free shads. Going to stick with a 5'6"M rod with 6.3:1 for my shad raps and seris 3 strike kings, and wiggle warts... also dounbles as a topwater rod, so i am gonna give 12lb suffix elite a shot for that... i never really throw shallow cranks... when they get that shallow i have better luck with smaller swim baits and spinner baits...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 09:39 AM   #9
bassboogieman

I prefer a copolymer line. Tried f/c and am now back with YoZuri Hybrid. I like it for additional strength and abrasion resistance over mono. I use 10# to 12# rated line, which with the YoZuri gives you and actual breaking strenght approx. 20% greater than the rating (compared to mono). I really like that line and use the regular Hybrid for most all my "moving" baits. I use the UltraSoft for plastics, less of a memory problem with it.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 10:12 AM   #10
Jrob78

I prefer copolymer lines as well. I currently use Pline CX in 12 lb.

I do like bassboogieman's suggestion of YoZuri Hybrid, that line is the toughest line I have ever used. It also has memory issues but that wouldn't be a huge problem on moving baits. Like he said, it is so strong that you could easily drop down a size to get added depth without sacrificing any strength.
Old 10-17-10, 11:45 AM   #11
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post

I do like bassboogieman's suggestion of YoZuri Hybrid, that line is the toughest line I have ever used. It also has memory issues but that wouldn't be a huge problem on moving baits. Like he said, it is so strong that you could easily drop down a size to get added depth without sacrificing any strength.

Jrob, I use P-line CX and Floroclear on several of my setups, and they both are great lines, however, with both of these lines being a florocarbon coated copolymer, I think they exhibit slightly more memory. I used to use Silverthread copolymer, but it is getting a little harder to find, think I might give some of this Yo-Zuri a try, been hearing good things about it. I just want a nice supple line that I dont have to spray everytime I use it.
Old 10-17-10, 01:17 PM   #12
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Jrob, I use P-line CX and Floroclear on several of my setups, and they both are great lines, however, with both of these lines being a florocarbon coated copolymer, I think they exhibit slightly more memory. I used to use Silverthread copolymer, but it is getting a little harder to find, think I might give some of this Yo-Zuri a try, been hearing good things about it. I just want a nice supple line that I dont have to spray everytime I use it.
Then you probably don't want to use Yo Zuri, at least not the Hybrid. I've never used the Ultra Soft. I primarliy used Hybrid for a couple of years, it is really strong and low stretch but the memory is really bad. I switched to CX and never looked back. I do think Hybrid would make a good spinnerbait and crankbait line though.

I like Silverthread AN40 too, it has about the lowest memory of any copoly I have used. It seemed pretty stretchy though. I guess that is the flip side of low memory. It is cheap and TW sells it.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Siver...page-STCL.html

Wow, it looks like their selection is pretty slim too.

Last edited by Jrob78; 10-17-10 at 01:37 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 01:45 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Tav, if you want a supple line, you won't want Yo-Zuri Hybrid. I used some 8lb Ultra Soft on a spinning reel and it reminded of a slinky.

I don't use a lot of copolymers, but Floroclear is probably my favorite and the limpest I've tried.

Honestly, Seaguar InvisX has less memory than Yo-Zuri Hybrid about the same, maybe a bit less than Floroclear.

BB
Old 10-17-10, 02:51 PM   #14
Tavery5

Thanks for the advice guys. Jrob, I have not tried the AN40, I still have a couple of spools of the older Super Silverthread, It is a good line, but def. getting harder to find.

I am probably going to make the move to more mono line, if I cannot find something that is as supple. Anyone have any recommends.
Old 10-17-10, 07:27 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

I like P-Line CXX for crankbaits too. Also P-Line Evolution is a great line, I have been using it off and on for a few years now for cranking and have been very pleased.

Depending on the situation I use either 10lb or 12lb for crankbaits regardless of which line I choose.
Old 10-17-10, 09:38 PM   #16
Bender

I have been using 10# on all my crankbait rigs, I have three on the deck right now. One is Invizx fluoro and two are Ande mono (wonder who suggested that). I stick with 10# because I haven't had any trouble with it breaking and from what I believe that is the line size of mono most crankbait companies use to rate the diving depth. That keeps things consistent so I know how deep I'm getting.

I do tend to go with a lot lighter lines than most people though. I think I only have one with 15# (other than braid), the rest are 10# and less.

Like C-Rig said, I did try that Evolution a couple years back and really liked it as well as P-Line Halo. Halo's prices went way up though so I quit using it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 12:00 PM   #17
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I used Floroclear 12lb earlier this year. It's nice line except I did have trouble with it around rocks and wood. It seems that if it got kinked or any kind of scratch on the line it got weak and snapped easy. I try to watch for problems and cut off any line that has any damage, but a few times I must have missed the damage and lost a lure. I played with the line. I bent it and pulled on it with firm force and did notice that the line would fail and snap. I just wish it was a little stronger, then I would use that line a whole lot more. Line wear is a big problem in the river system I fish. I use braid the most because of it.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 06:17 PM   #18
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Tav, if you want a supple line, you won't want Yo-Zuri Hybrid. I used some 8lb Ultra Soft on a spinning reel and it reminded of a slinky.BB
I gotta say, I'm honestly surprised to hear you guys say this......I've been using some 6# Yo-Zuri Hybrid line on my spinning setup this year and I've been really impressed with it.....Maybe i'm just easily impressed due to my inexperience with different brands of line, but I have not noticed any memory or stretch issues...in fact, for me its been quite the opposite.

I've had the same line on my spinning reel all year this year and I've fished alot more this year then in the past, and caught alot of fish including those toothy critters(Pickerel), and what I noticed was there is NO noticable memory or stretch issues compared to the mono's I formally used......I would usually have to change out my line 3-4 times a year due to memory problems with mono, but not since switching to the Yo-Zuri hybrid, and line conditioner is something i've never used.

I will purchase more Yo-Zuri hybrid in the future, because so far its one of the best lines i've ever used.....But the 6# is the only size i've used thus far, so maybe these issues show up more on the heavier lines...I dunno.
Old 10-18-10, 11:26 PM   #19
Old Hooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Same here. I think it's some of the best line going.
Old 10-19-10, 04:45 PM   #20
DaveW731

I used to swear by 8# Gamma, till I could not find it any more. Loved everything about it. Rumor has it that it is going to be available again...?

Anyway, currently using good old-fashioned Stren in #10, moss green. Seems to handle fine, blends into cover real well, good knot strength and abraison resistance.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 05:31 PM   #21
Apt79
BassFishin.Com Member

That's also what line that I have found to like the most that Floroclear. Thanks fellows.
Apt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 11:27 PM   #22
Garry2rs

I can't see the point in running finesse weight line on reaction lures...I use 40 pound hollow core braid with 12 to 50 pound leaders for crankbaits.

The weight of the leader depends on the size of the bait and the likelihood of attracting a Musky or big Pike with that bait.

Toothy critters will bite-off anything under about 20 pound test, so that's my average leader weight.

On surface and shallow running baits I use mono and on deeper baits I use Fluoro.

I wouldn't use #6, or 8 pound test on anything but a spinning rod and only throw tiny baits with that type of tackle.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 08:11 AM   #23
mike234

Use P-Line CXX for everything except top water and use mono for that.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 10:30 AM   #24
basstech

P-line CX- moss green 12lb. has a thinner diameter than CXX and for me, it cast much smoother, has less memory. But CX isn't as tough, has less abraision resistance than CXX.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.