Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-23-12, 09:21 PM   #1
bigjim
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default top water lure/fluoro. test

well after reading some previous posts/topics (mine included) on this subject about using top waters & FC line i decided to mess around and experiment..

not sure if this is going to be a 100% accurate test,reason being the FC line i was using was P-Line which is a FC coated line & not 100% FC.

the lures i tested with: jitterbug, scum frog, other misc. top water frogs, zaraspook, & a POP-R

did a side by side comparison with my spinning outfit that i have spooled with 15lb. Braid, & my baitcaster with the P-Line 10 lb.

and quite honestly, the only lure that acted differently was the POP-R, little bit better action with the braided line for that 1, but as far as all the others they performed just about the same as far as action on the retrieve to how they sat in the water during the pause.
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 09:53 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I appreciate what you're trying to do but you can't really call that a fluoro test. Copoly is not fluoro and it does not have the same sinking properties that 100% fluorocarbon does.
Old 04-23-12, 10:24 PM   #3
bigjim

yes ive learned that, and i even mentioned that the test was probably not 100% to begin with since it wasnt 100% FC
Old 04-23-12, 11:19 PM   #4
bassboogieman

Due to flurocarbon's sinking characteristics, I wouldn't use it for top water. I prefer the lower stretch of co-poly myself but would return to mono before changing to f/c for that specific purpose.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 12:19 AM   #5
bigjim

bottom line is you can use a flourocoated line for topwater as it wont sink like 100%FC line
Old 04-24-12, 12:43 AM   #6
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
bottom line is you can use a flourocoated line for topwater as it wont sink like 100%FC line
Many of us use copolys for a lot of different techniques, including top water. I find that it works best with baits that are moved rapidly with little or no pauses, as it does sink faster than mono. What line were you using exactly?
Old 04-24-12, 08:04 AM   #7
IowaBasser

Thanks bigjim - I remember the post you were talking about; I believe someone asked how Suffix 832 would perform on top-water lures compared to regular braid. I said that 832 worked very similar to regular braid, except for maybe lures that you let sit on the water for a long time. I understand this was an experiment to see how P-Line would work for top-waters - not a recommendation to use it that way. If you only have a couple of rods and want one spooled with braid and one with a co-poly, it sounds like you could use a co-poly for most top-water applications, even though it wouldn't be ideal. Or you could be like me and be too lazy to re-tie a top-water on your mono rod because you may want to use that mono set-up with what is already tied on... so you go with the next best option which might be your co-poly set-up.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 12:25 PM   #8
joedog

Some coplys sink..FH PRO from Parallelium. Believe the Flourohybrid basic does too.
Old 04-25-12, 01:24 AM   #9
tomegun
BassFishin.Com Member

Been throwing flouro for topwater years. If I want to use my best reels and favorite rods, there is no problem with flourocarbon with TW. It will float. Yes it will sag too, but not as much as you will think. Its fun throwing big spooks a mile with my crankbait rod. I also throw poppers and propbaits too. Just make sure that you move the bait before the line sags.
tomegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 10:53 AM   #10
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

Mccoy 15lb Mean Green. You will not find a better top water line. Craig Power's showed me this and he is literally the best in the world with a Pop R. He uses 15 Mccoy and got me to try it. Best line I have ever used. It is a co poly, hold little to no memory, and is stout line. If you want a great top water line I have never used any better than Mccoy.
matt3mckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 12:15 PM   #11
DaveW731

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Just make sure that you move the bait before the line sags.
That is the limitation for flouro, IMO. I agree that you can effectively work many topwaters with flouro, but being able to leave a bait nearly motionless for an extended period of time is an important tactic.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.