Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-10-06, 10:36 PM   #1
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Lucky Craft lures really are Lucky....or are they?

About a month ago I lost a Lucky Craft lure at one of my favorite lakes when I managed to get it hung up on something under the water. Well as Luck would have it, I decided to go fishing at the same lake today. Well sure enough, on the VERY first cast today I thought I felt something hit my Matzuo jerkbait, and I started realing it in, it wasn't long before I realized it wasn't a fish, but instead I was hung up on something. I pull on the line and feel some movement and keep reeling in. I get the lure to the boat and at first it appeared to just be some weeds and roots/vines of some sort that i was hung up on, but on closer inspection, I noticed it was a thin rope. Like most others on this site, I hate trash in lakes so I started pulling in the rest of the rope......boy was it a long one. Eventually I get the main clump of rope to the boat and notice a lure tangled up in the mess. I pull the rope completely off and notice, "Hey its a Lucky Craft, ALL RIGHT!" I take a closer look and sure enough, it was the exact same lucky craft I lost a month before. Suprisingly the lure had been in the water for a month, and just a tiny bit of rust was just starting to form on the hook shank. I ran the trebles over my finger nails and they all dug right in. After a full month in the water the hooks remained sharp. I couldn't believe it. So I figure it had to be a sign, I was supposed to use this lure ot catch a monster right? I'm sure yall woulda thought this too if you were lucky enough to just catch a $20 lure that you lost a month ago, so of course I tied it back on my pole. Get a few bites but no hookups and then I managed to get it stuck in a tree. Ended up breaking the line while trying to get it out so I tied a stick to my anchor rope and threw it up in the same tree. I yanked on the branch and eventually pulled it down. I was able to recover the lucky craft yet a second time. Did some more fishin and sure enough, throw the dang thing in another tree, this time I wasn't gonna be so lucky, turns out there was a hornets nest in this tree. Of course that didn't stop me desire to get my lure back so I threw my anchor rope back up the tree and tried to pull down the branch. Unfortunately it was a bigger branch and it must have wanted the lucky craft more than me cause all 275lbs couldn't break off this branch. Maybe next time I'll catch my lucky craft again
Old 06-10-06, 11:16 PM   #2
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob
About a month ago I lost a Lucky Craft lure at one of my favorite lakes when I managed to get it hung up on something under the water. Well as Luck would have it, I decided to go fishing at the same lake today. Well sure enough, on the VERY first cast
"LUCKY LURE MY AZZ".. Now all you gotta do is buy a $500. 00 chain saw and cut that danged ole tree down and get that $20.00 LUCKY LURE and throw it just as far as you can throw it. Cuz right now you ain’t catchen fish, you’re catchen ropes and trees. Yep, It’s lucky. Cuz with you luck, you had better stay out of dem trees, 275 lbs makes alot a noise when it hits da ground... Just joken Rob
today I thought I felt something hit my Matzuo jerkbait, and I started realing it in, it wasn't long before I realized it wasn't a fish, but instead I was hung up on something. I pull on the line and feel some movement and keep reeling in. I get the lure to the boat and at first it appeared to just be some weeds and roots/vines of some sort that i was hung up on, but on closer inspection, I noticed it was a thin rope. Like most others on this site, I hate trash in lakes so I started pulling in the rest of the rope......boy was it a long one. Eventually I get the main clump of rope to the boat and notice a lure tangled up in the mess. I pull the rope completely off and notice, "Hey its a Lucky Craft, ALL RIGHT!" I take a closer look and sure enough, it was the exact same lucky craft I lost a month before. Suprisingly the lure had been in the water for a month, and just a tiny bit of rust was just starting to form on the hook shank. I ran the trebles over my finger nails and they all dug right in. After a full month in the water the hooks remained sharp. I couldn't believe it. So I figure it had to be a sign, I was supposed to use this lure ot catch a monster right? I'm sure yall woulda thought this too if you were lucky enough to just catch a $20 lure that you lost a month ago, so of course I tied it back on my pole. Get a few bites but no hookups and then I managed to get it stuck in a tree. Ended up breaking the line while trying to get it out so I tied a stick to my anchor rope and threw it up in the same tree. I yanked on the branch and eventually pulled it down. I was able to recover the lucky craft yet a second time. Did some more fishin and sure enough, throw the dang thing in another tree, this time I wasn't gonna be so lucky, turns out there was a hornets nest in this tree. Of course that didn't stop me desire to get my lure back so I threw my anchor rope back up the tree and tried to pull down the branch. Unfortunately it was a bigger branch and it must have wanted the lucky craft more than me cause all 275lbs couldn't break off this branch. Maybe next time I'll catch my lucky craft again

"LUCKY LURE MY AZZ".. Now all you gotta do is buy a $500. 00 chain saw and cut that danged ole tree down and get that $20.00 LUCKY LURE and throw it just as far as you can throw it. Cuz right now you ain’t catchen fish, you’re catchen ropes and trees and sticking your hands in hornets nest.. Yep, It’s lucky! You had better stay out of dem trees, cuz with the luck you're having, 275 lbs makes alot a noise when it hits da ground.. But just in case you decide to climb that tree, I hope you don't meet up with one of them toothy racoons that is protecting her young..If you do then you will lurn the true meaning of LUCKY CRAFT...Just joken Rob. The C Man from Snow Hollow
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 11:35 PM   #3
cullin8s
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you throw in trees that often you need to go to the $1.00 bin for your lures lol
Old 06-11-06, 02:34 AM   #4
Rodman_Rob

lol, carp man, that was the most I've ever understood any of your posts. I kept getting greedy trying to throw a little too close to structure with a little bit of a wind, these trees were both isolated structure as they were cypress trees that were in the water about 30-100 feet from the shoreline with an abundance of shade directly underneath the trees on a hot florida afternoon. course I'm sure yall can imagine what was in the water under those trees taking advantage of the shade. Only managed to get a few bites from the gators, couldn't get them hooked though.
Old 06-11-06, 11:15 AM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

lmao at carpy..

zooker
Old 06-11-06, 12:31 PM   #6
IL.bassin

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin

Hey Rob my buddy came up with a pretty good lure retriever for trees. He took an extendable painters pole and wired a jersey glove to it. He snags the hooks and rips the bait from the branches. It works pretty well and he cleans up on baits in the early spring when everyone is rusty and throwin in the trees.
IL.bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 12:32 PM   #7
Bo Dale James Jr.

Cool

I've been known to go to great lengths to retrieve lures. Rodman maybe you should carry some logging chains and a mule.
Here in Illinois about a year or two ago some guy drowned near St. Louis trying to get a lure back. He was probably drunker than all get out!
Last year I snagged up while fishing after work. I was trying to get loose when my rod came apart, then the line broke. Well I had to strip down to the tighty whiteys and go in after the other half of my fishing rod..which I did get..but another lure was lost to the rip rap. So, as a well known adulterer would say: "I feel yer pain"
Old 06-11-06, 12:37 PM   #8
IL.bassin

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin

Ye Bo but you Illinois guys arent very good fisherman

Where in the heck is Jerseyville?
IL.bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 12:45 PM   #9
bassnman30

You pay $20.00 for a Lucky Craft bait ? We buy ours for $15.00 apiece (give or take).
One of the best ways to keep you bait what ever bait that it is is not to reel it to the tip of the rod. Leave at least a foot or more from the tip. Have lost several LC baits as well as other baits when they fly a mile' or more into the woods. You situation is different than just breaking off, but this can be the case for some that arent aware of just how the bait flew off of there reel.
Old 06-11-06, 05:46 PM   #10
Bo Dale James Jr.

Maybe it's just me. But if I lose more than 1 lure in a day, I feel like
my wife left me or my dog got hit by a car..or maybe my dog left and my wife...Well you get the picture.
Old 06-11-06, 06:03 PM   #11
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnman30
You pay $20.00 for a Lucky Craft bait ? We buy ours for $15.00 apiece (give or take).
$16+ tax, time, gas to get to the bait shop makes it easy to look at it like a $20 lure, close enough unless you like to nit pick.
Old 06-11-06, 06:06 PM   #12
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

rob
i know bassnman he has NEVER bought just ONE lure ever.. even at $15 EACH..

zooker
Old 06-11-06, 06:10 PM   #13
Bo Dale James Jr.

To IL.Bassin, I just added my marker to Kevin's site. I see you live in DuQuoin.
I was working at Marshall Browning the other day. I crossed Rend Lake on 14.
My van kept veering to the right..wanting to stop and fish. Rend seems like such a large body of water. Seems it would take a long time to get to know it? God I need a BOAT!!!!
Old 06-11-06, 06:12 PM   #14
Bo Dale James Jr.

Hey Rodman if you add in lottery tickets purchased while buying the lure
Heck could add up to 25.00 each
Old 06-11-06, 06:18 PM   #15
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Dale James Jr.
Hey Rodman if you add in lottery tickets purchased while buying the lure
Heck could add up to 25.00 each
its a good thing the bait store doesn't sell beer, woulda been a $75 lure lol.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.