Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 05-07-07, 10:50 AM   #1
bigbassdan16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to bigbassdan16 Send a message via Yahoo to bigbassdan16
Default hey guys i need your help

hey im going to be getting a pond boat where u just use a trolling motor. do i have to get a title for my boat and the pond boat never had license on it so how do i get one and what do i do. it can fit three people in it. and i need to know how much and all so please write to me i need to know whether i need one or not
bigbassdan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 11:44 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

check with your state bureau of motor vechicles and see what they say, in ohio I think the boat has to be over 10 ft long to have a sticker..not sure if you need a title or not.
If you are on a pond I wouldn't worry about it.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 01:48 PM   #3
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

On just about any state owned or public body of water, you most likely will have to have a title and or all the safety equipment on board as well. In just about every state I have lived in, the laws state, if you use a propulsion device of any kind, your boat must be registered and you must display regristration numbers on the craft. Now some states are a stickler for the details and others are not so, and sometimes they will make exceptons for watercraft less than 10 foot in length.

If you use it on private lakes, i.e. farm ponds and family owned bodies of water where the authorities have no jurisdiction, then no you wont have too.

As JB said, it is best to check all this out ahead of time and save your self the grief from being ticketed.

BET
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 11:17 PM   #4
OUTLAW
BassFishin.Com Active Member

BigBass,
In P.A. I believe,even a pond boat needs to be registered,as do kayaks.and canoes.How do you go about registering it without a title,Im not sure ,but im sure it can be done,Do as JB said and call the DMV,Ill look to see if I can get more info.
Old 05-08-07, 04:48 AM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

in nc it has to be resitered only if powered by other means than by hand...

zooker
Old 05-08-07, 10:32 AM   #6
bigbassdan16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to bigbassdan16 Send a message via Yahoo to bigbassdan16

hey if i get a pic and show u the boat with pictures will u determine that i need one i will get them on here as quick as possible but where can u find a dmv or should i ask the game commisions
bigbassdan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-07, 10:44 AM   #7
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

A picture would be great, but it most likely would not change anything. If you want to be safe, you should seek out the proper authorities and make sure you CYA....Cover Your A$$.

Again, if you plan on using this vessel on private property, your ok, if you plan on taking it out onto public waters maintained by civil authorities, you need to obtain the title and register it for use on these waters.

Good Luck
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-07, 12:35 PM   #8
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Here is the webpage that you need to read to get virtually all the information you need.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/boatrecap.htm

This here is what you are really looking for. Looks like you are going to have to register it no matter what.

Took this directly from the webpage linked above.

1. Boats propelled by machinery must be registered, and they must properly display numbers and a boat registration validation decal. This includes all motorboats regardless of the boat's length and type of motor (includes electric motors).

2. Unpowered boats using Commission lakes and access areas must be registered OR display a Commission use permit OR display a State Parks launch or mooring permit.

3. Boat titles are issued when a boat is sold or when ownership is conveyed. Titles are required for motorboats with a model year of 1997 and newer, except for those that are powered by an outboard motor that are less than 14 feet in length. All 1997 or newer personal watercraft, are also subject to the titling requirement. Voluntary titling is available for any other boat.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.