Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-07, 04:57 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default New Depthfinder

Hey guys, plan on maybe getting my dad a new depthfinder for our boat for Christmas. The depthfinder we have now is a cheap Eagle MagnaView. In other words P.O.S. What brand would you recommend for a 14 ft aluminum boat. Boat is a Sea Nymph with a 5.5 horse Johnson. The one we have now just connects to a 12V battery in our boat. This battery runs the d.f. and our lights. How do you connect new depthfinders to this type of craft? Also, we are looking in the 300-400 dollar range probably.

Any ideas??
Old 08-28-07, 07:23 PM   #2
1FASTLASER

I would strongly suggest lowrance for your pick. They have several in the price range you stated. One of my new toys that I got earlier this year is a M68C which is a clor unit with GPS capabilities. The unit is completely self contained. Dont need any external antennea. Its realatively easy to use and has pretty dang good detail. Bass Pro sells em for 399. If your not looking for a GPS then I would suggest a X52. I own 2 of them and love them. Great detail easy to use and are NMEA 2000 compliant. Another one that is pretty dang nice would be the X125. Now this is the big screen model. Dont know if ya want a big screen model but it does have more power therefore shows ya MUCH more detail. Its a 1500 watt peak to peak unit. As far as hooking up its straightforward. Hook up the negative to negative ...positive topositive......install the transducer and go fishing.
Old 08-28-07, 09:49 PM   #3
lunker-lander

That X125 sounds nice...How Much???
Old 08-28-07, 11:16 PM   #4
Bender

I have a couple X52s and an X125. They both have great screens. The X125 was about $300 I think.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 01:30 AM   #5
bassboogieman

Default Lowrance!

I'm not sure the x-125 is still being produced. Log on to either Bass Pro Shop's or Cabela's web site and check out what they have and do a comparison. In monochrome units check out the x-96 and x-135. Same size screen - 5" diag. with the difference being the pixel count of the display. x-96 is 320x320 which is pretty good for detail. The x-135 is Lorance's best 5" monochrome screen with a 480x480 pixel count, gives a very sharp image. Both also display water temp. via a transducer with built in temp sensor. The x-135 is the unit I have on the front of my boat and I am very happy with it. Color units are a different animal entirely. While the color is very easy on the eyes in low light and evening, it can be very difficult to see in bright sunlight. I have an X-102C at the helm, which I moved from the front due to the difficulty in seeing it. I am much happier with the X-135 up front. Mounting/wiring should not be a problem. Bracket is supplied and it's a simple two-wire 12v connection and a fuse & fuse holder is supplied. With the boat you mentioned you'll want a "skimmer" transducer w/temp sensor (as opposed to the puck transducer which is used in fibrerglass boats, epoxied to the hull inside), and mount transducer either on trolling motor or transom. Connectors
plug into the back of the unit and you're ready to go.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 04:36 PM   #6
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the lowrance LCX-38C is the one you want. My first two flashers way back when were lowrance and you can't go wrong...check it out here
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 08:00 PM   #7
BLWeng
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to BLWeng

JB, that thing is very nice...but i think that will cost him more than his Johnson motor is worth. lol. Lowrance is def. the way to go. I just bought a X96 on ebay. About $190.00 with shipping. Great unit. Its not GPS, but for the unit mounted at the front of the boat, can't go wrong. IMO!
I have a handheld GPS unit, that way, i can remember where the boat ramp is at 0500 before that first cup of coffee, and then some help with the fishing spots when i get in the boat.
Old 09-03-07, 12:13 PM   #8
GregK9
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
the lowrance LCX-38C is the one you want.

$1,849.99
GregK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-07, 01:47 PM   #9
1FASTLASER

I'll take two of them.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-07, 05:24 PM   #10
pig n jig

I think you should buy the best fishfinder that you can afford, even if you have to save up to get it.What made me a believe that was, my friend upgraded to a Lowrance LCX-113C HD, so I was fortunate enough to get his old LCX-15 MT.I thought my old X-85 was nice and it was, but the GPS system on the new to me LCX-15 worlds apart.I can't wait until he upgrades again, he is a charter captain, it won't be too long before he has to have the latest and greatest. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 12:59 AM   #11
carolina-rig-01

i was in the market for a new locator here a while back. i narrowed it down to a handful of choices, and after talking with 1fastlaser i opted for the x135 and never looked back. awesome locator, still working on getting it set up just how i want it but i still love it. a great benefit with getting a lowrance is you can go to there website and download a demo of your exact locator, then you can sit at your computer watching the screen and see how certain adjustments will effect what you see. then after you get it set up on your computer how you want it all you have to do is make the same adjustments on your locator. i am in this process now but haven't had time to do much of it.
Old 10-30-07, 07:10 PM   #12
lunker-lander

That does sound sweet C-Rigger. Is this x135 a good choice for my criteria? How much will it run me?

-ll
Old 11-04-07, 08:59 AM   #13
pig n jig

About $400, shop around and you can get it closer to $300.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 05:49 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Lunker-Lander lemme know ifn ya want me to get ahold of one of my friends at BassCat and find out what he can get me a X135 for. They are in the process of changing over to using floppybird and getting rid of there stock of Lowrance units. The wife has 2 units ordered for me and she told me she saved over $250 on the units. I have been telling her I wanted a X125 and a X135 for my Laser so I am assuming that is what she got. Lemme know.
Old 11-05-07, 12:45 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

well i think you would like the x135 and as far as fitting your criteria...don't see why not.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.