Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-07, 06:41 PM   #1
gator3
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Motor wont turn over when cold.

Hi,
I have read alot of great info on this site.
I bought a bass boat about 3 months ago boat and motor are 1979,the previous owner had the motor rebuilt.It ran great with no problems.Now with the cold weather coming in,it want start.Heres what it does:early in the morning when its cold,you turn the key and it just clicks one time,everytime you turn the key it will click once.Now once the sun comes up and it starts warming up,you can turn the key and it will start.
Any idea's?? Solenoid or starter????
Motor is 79 rude 150xp
Thanks for any help
Gator3
gator3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 02:37 PM   #2
foolishone
BassFishin.Com Member

Start by checking all battery connections and wiring. Clean and tighten. If that doesn't help, have the battery load tested. If youare handy, put a volt meter on the starter side of the solenoid and see if there ispower to the starter when you turnthe key.
foolishone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 04:51 PM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It don't make sense that the cold would have anything to do with it , unless it was extreme cold temperatures. If the normal cold were to bother anything, I would think it would effect the battery if it had a bad cell , or was an old battery.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 07:16 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

pnj is right.
it has to be 30 below or better to affect the cranking over.. you have a dew spot- a rusty connection- the condesation forms and lubes the rusty spot causing it to make contact..hence it fires only after the sun hits it..

zooker
Old 11-07-07, 06:40 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

I've seen this once before and it will drive ya crazy trying to find it. Anyways as zook and pnj stated first thing in order is to check ALL connections. Clean them up and make sure they arnt corroided behind the connector. Look for the telltale sign of bluish-green around your connections. That is a sign of electrolosis and you will need to cut bacj and put on a new connector. Take your hood of the motor and check all plug ins and connections there as well. Get ya some electrical contact grease at your local parts store and use it after spraying contact cleaner on all plug ins. Now this is where I found a similar problem several years ago n a buddys boat in Pennsylvania. DOUBLE check the starter solenoid. Make sure all connections are good and solid. Gout out there one evening and with the hood off spray the solenoid with a light coating of WD40. Go to bed and try and crank her in the morning. What had happened is the solenoid had a hairline crack init allowing moisture to seep in/ When trying to fire it would be intermittent. Sometimes it would others ferget it. One more thing to check. When you turn your key onto the run position does the rest of the accesssories come on .............voltage meter tack fuel gauge etc etc. If it doesnt after trying the above outlined holler back and I will lead ya through those steps.
Old 11-09-07, 09:45 AM   #6
gator3
BassFishin.Com Member

Guy's
Thanks for the help!! Here is where Im at.lol
1.Checked battery.Its good(New)
2.Tried to start motor.Just made click sound(just once every attempt at starting.
3.Cleaned all connections.All are good,none was discolored.
4.Tried to start motor.Just one click on every attempt.
5.Checked solenoid with voltmeter.Meter read 11.1
6.Check starter with meter.It read zero
7.Sprayed solenoid with WD40.Will try to start latter.
Laser,no lights come on when the key is turned on,evrything is on a separate swithch.
Right now to me it looks like the solenoid.What do yall think?
Gator3

Last edited by gator3; 11-09-07 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-09-07, 09:49 PM   #7
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

I am not expert by any means, mind you, but my buddy is going to college for small engine repair, and according to some of his knowledge on the subject, your oil my be too thin. What weight are you using? If it is 10W30, I would suggest going up to 10W40. If this still does not work, I would bring it to a dealer and have them inspect it.

-ll
Old 11-09-07, 10:01 PM   #8
gator3
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
I am not expert by any means, mind you, but my buddy is going to college for small engine repair, and according to some of his knowledge on the subject, your oil my be too thin. What weight are you using? If it is 10W30, I would suggest going up to 10W40. If this still does not work, I would bring it to a dealer and have them inspect it.

-ll
Thanks for your input.Oil has nothing to do with this problem.
Thanks
gator3
Old 11-09-07, 10:08 PM   #9
gator3
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
I've seen this once before and it will drive ya crazy trying to find it. Anyways as zook and pnj stated first thing in order is to check ALL connections. Clean them up and make sure they arnt corroided behind the connector. Look for the telltale sign of bluish-green around your connections. That is a sign of electrolosis and you will need to cut bacj and put on a new connector. Take your hood of the motor and check all plug ins and connections there as well. Get ya some electrical contact grease at your local parts store and use it after spraying contact cleaner on all plug ins. Now this is where I found a similar problem several years ago n a buddys boat in Pennsylvania. DOUBLE check the starter solenoid. Make sure all connections are good and solid. Gout out there one evening and with the hood off spray the solenoid with a light coating of WD40. Go to bed and try and crank her in the morning. What had happened is the solenoid had a hairline crack init allowing moisture to seep in/ When trying to fire it would be intermittent. Sometimes it would others ferget it. One more thing to check. When you turn your key onto the run position does the rest of the accesssories come on .............voltage meter tack fuel gauge etc etc. If it doesnt after trying the above outlined holler back and I will lead ya through those steps.
The WD40 worked,checked it and it had some cracks in it.I replaced the solenoid this evening.Going to try it in the morning first thing,and if alls good,we are had to the lake.
I want to thank everyone for their help.
gator3
Old 11-10-07, 07:56 AM   #10
gator3
BassFishin.Com Member

Morning!
Just checked to see if it would turn over.All is good!!
Again,thanks for all the help.
Gator3
Old 11-10-07, 08:28 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

Thats great to hear Gator. Glad to help out a fellow bass fisherman and boater. Run into any more problems just give a holler.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.