Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-31-06, 10:22 PM   #1
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What to do?

It's been over two years since I've been skunked back to back outings. I know the lake pretty well, at least all of the major features and many smaller, lesser known important features. A guy I work with and I have been fishing together for nearly 8yrs. now and we started fishing the little local tourney out there. I caught one fish the first tourney, had 19 boats and 7 fish brought in by 6 boats, actually, five boats and six fish cause ours did not count being that I didn't put the mark up on time, my bad, the rules are the rules.
Anyway, that last two weekends we've blanked. He caught a small wiper last saturday and that was one of only two bites we got all day (the second one I missed if it was even a bite, not sure). The Lake is around 680 to 760 surface acres. There are two parts two it, the main lake has trees in the two largest coves on the north west side of the lake. Both have a major secondary channell feeding out to the main lake. It also has a flat that get's very weedy with coontail. There are plenty of rocks as well. We've fished in there most of the time and haven't caught squat niether has anyone else that I know of. The back half of the lake covers Old Wood's Chappel road and the old roadbed is only about four foot deep and then drops off on the left or east side of the road...there is no drop on the right...it is flat up to the bridge. Also back here is the main channel that runs 20ft deep and I know of a secondary channel comming in the farthest reach and the whole area consist flooded timber, It's probably 300 surface acres in size. We've thrown everything and fished hard to get blanked....We've worked Exceedingly slow at times placing our cast two feet apart and taking 5 minutes or more to work the lure back per cast. We've fished at a moderately slow rate somewhat steadily moving. We've fished in very deep (for this lake) 30ft. up to 2ft. flats. Thrown Various colors and size's rogues (used suspend dots to get them neutral. Adjust slightly to make them rise or sink very slowly, like a foot every 20 to 30 seconds. Nothing. Spinner baits, Hvy. with single colorado #4 silver. Carolina Rigs. Deep diving cranks. Jig and Pig. The following baits on a 1/4 oz or 3/8oz. Standup Jig head, Super Hawg, Skirted Twin grub, 21/2" yum crawbug and 3". On a spinning rod with a 1/8oz. jighead I used flukes, tubes, and grubs. Any ideas on what we should try tomorrow? The last two weeks it's taken 16 lbs. on 4 fish limit. to win. The first limit weighed in was last week and the guy said he caught his fish in 2ft. of water on a white spinner bait. Water temp has been 46 steadily for the last 3 weeks, water clarity is anywhere from 5ft. to two feet. Closer to the bank, and shallow flats there is less visibility in the water and it has a light brown(mud) tint. The clearer waters have a green tint. What should we do tomorrow?
Old 03-31-06, 11:30 PM   #2
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

get out there and experiment with different things,and just go out and fish !
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-06, 06:17 AM   #3
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sounds like you're doing the right things, and working hard to fish it. Sometimes we just can't make them bite. Try c-rigging a floating crankbait, and use a longer leader. Experiment with the retrieve, slowly dragging it, and short hops etc... Good fishing, when you work that hard, the fish will eventually get caught by you.

Lizards
Old 04-01-06, 06:44 AM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hmmmm 46 degree water and pretty clear makes for some harder fish to catch. If its still cold 50 or below try finesse jigs and/or plastic presentations. I hate finesse fishing but usually can kick up 3 or 4 fish that way. Basically try and do what everyone else is NOT doing. May be the ticket.
Old 04-01-06, 07:44 AM   #5
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

jigs ,jerkbaits, spinnerbaits and rattlin rapala's in water that cold.i've caught a lot of fish on rattlin ralala's in cold water.i've even caught them on buzzbaits in water that cold.
Old 04-01-06, 07:58 AM   #6
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks guys, We'll do that. I've caught them on Pop-R's in water this cold, never had the (ehhhem) bal-er courage to throw a buzzbait in water this cold. Wierdest part is I was doing real well in january when water temps were high 30's low forty's. On Cranks and Jerkbaits, no less. I think you're right lazer, time to pull out the finese and trick worms...if it's not too windy.
I am often accused of working too slow(by everyone I've fished with), I know better though, because of the results I've had, and admittidly, when the water is warmer (low 70's and higher) I do work to slow and get overly methodical. Fish are ussually scattered by then and more often than not it's important to cover more water.

Last edited by basstech; 04-01-06 at 08:06 AM.
basstech is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.