Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-06, 01:14 PM   #1
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess
Default Cold water lures.

Well, tournament number 2 is just on the horizon on a lake that I've fished before, but only in the summer. I know what works on that lake in July (lipless crankbaits burned across the shaded shoreline), but I'm not sure what to use to catch fish in 40-50degree water on this lake. What I need to know is what are some good, cold water search baits? I surprized everyone, including myself, when I pulled a money winning bass out of similar conditions with a spinnerbait, but I think that was just a fluke. What should I plan to fish with when the day's only suposed to reach 55 degrees, and the day before is only in the 40's and raining?

And another thing, what makes Lucky Craft lures so effective? Is it just the price tag that makes them so attractive?
Old 04-05-06, 01:40 PM   #2
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

You catching that bass on a spinnerbait wasn't a fluke. Usually you can catch cold water bass on a spinnerbait slow-rolled. My favorite cold water lure is a suspending jerkbait. I don't know water the clarity of the water is where your fishing but if you can find some stained water it will warm quicker than clear water and you will find bass in that stained water. My brother fished Buggs Island Lake a few weeks ago and did well on an X-Rap fishing stained water. The stained water was 5-10 degrees warmer than the clear and the fish were there. Even in the middle of the coves and the jerkbait did better than anything else they tried. They also caught a couple on a crank which is good too. You can bet I'll have a jerkbait and a J-N-P tied on if the temps are 45-55 degrees!

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 03:17 PM   #3
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I caught 2 last week on a craw colored Grappler shad and one on a spinnerbait. What lake you fishing the tourny on? Good luck

Bob
Old 04-05-06, 08:09 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I agree with the others-a suspending jerkbait, a jig-n-pig, and a slow rolled spinnerbait.
Old 04-05-06, 09:10 PM   #5
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i'd go with a jerkbait(hard or soft plastic)a spinnerbait or rattletrap first.
that said,,...i've found a better bite in the afternoon if the day warms up.
don't get discouraged if you get no bites in the a.m...but don't forget the above baits in the afternoon.traps will work in shallower water near sticks,stumps,blowdowns on the shore line that gets the most sun.i would look for stained water.
Old 04-05-06, 10:30 PM   #6
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintom
i'd go with a jerkbait(hard or soft plastic)a spinnerbait or rattletrap first.
that said,,...i've found a better bite in the afternoon if the day warms up.
don't get discouraged if you get no bites in the a.m...but don't forget the above baits in the afternoon.traps will work in shallower water near sticks,stumps,blowdowns on the shore line that gets the most sun.i would look for stained water.
I agree. If the water is closer to 50 then I'd scrap the jerkbait for the trap or spinnerbait. (single spin with #5 colorado blade)
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.