Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 02-15-07, 01:02 AM   #1
Bassinkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default How do i school my dad on fishing?

my dad fished when he was a kid but never really got into it. he says a lot of things that are the oposite of what the pros say and yet he still catches fish more than me. it like he just gets lucky...alot. i want to show him up this year but i dont know what else to do to beat him. PS: sorry for so many threads and posts, its the winter keeping me at the computer.
Bassinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 04:33 AM   #2
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

Don't worry about what the pros say. There may be such a thing as the very educated fisherman, but just because a pro says something doesn't make it fact. That's the beauty of fishing. The only fact is that the fish are somewhere in the water. Everything else is up to you, your instinct, and how you use what you've learned by fishing as whenever you have the chance. There's no substitute for time in/at/on the water.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 03:25 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The lakes around here vary so much I think it would be hard to take a pros advice unless he is with you on the water in the same conditions you are in.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 03:44 PM   #4
Raul

he says a lot of things that are the oposite of what the pros say

NOTHING IS WRITTEN ON STONE, IN FISHING THERE ARE NO "RULES"

1.- KNOW YOUR PREY, if you donīt know you can start by watching one of the best videos ever made: BIGMOUTH & BIGMOUTH FOREVER by Glen Lau, and to make it better now you can get them in DVD from his site, watch it over and over again, even though itīs quite old but fish are exactly like the same now that back then when it was filmed.

2.- KNOW YOUR GEAR, you canīt fish a bait properly if you donīt know how it works.

3.- LEARN TO ADAPT AND BE WILLING TO LEARN, your dad catches more fish than you, luck ? heck, I donīt think so, the pus is behind the handle of the rod.

4.- LEARN TO "READ" THE WATER AND THE SURROUNDING TERRAIN, water temp, water clarity, current, wind, etc, all of those are telling you something if you listen to what they are saying; the structural features you see above the water level are most likely to continue below the water level, certain types of trees only grow on a particular type of terrain and if you know how to read the vegetation above and in the water you are one step closer to knowing where the fish will be.

5.- PRACTICE, the only way you can win practice is by being there.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 04:27 PM   #5
bassbooger

Instead of trying to catch more then him Why don't you ask him to teach you? Evidentally what is "supposedly" the opposite is dead on and working.

Be glad you have a dad that is willing to take you fishing. There are many kids out there that have fathers that won't do anything with their kid; much less take them fishing. Some kids don't even have fathers at all, remember that!!
Old 02-15-07, 04:38 PM   #6
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I agree with Booger. Learn what you can from pops while you have him around.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 05:43 PM   #7
flbassman

He probably has a real firm grasp of the basics, that a lot of people my age nowadays miss, because they're so spread out on techniques. When he was growing up, there weren't a lot of lures, so you had a few and you learned to fish them until you caught fish (least thats what I've heard). As for dad vs. pro, you're dad isn't sponsored by say, rapala, and therefore doesn't have to say that fishing a rapala is the only way to go. If he's catchin, do what he does..... Like was said above, go with him, learn, enjoy it, and don't worry so much about teaching him and catching a bunch of fish.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.