Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-07, 11:03 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Soft Plastics

Do you think throwing soft plastics (t-rigs and others) on a 7' Heavy rod would be alright? Or would you prefer a 6'6" MH?

I have both and I would like to use the 7'0 as much as I can.

And a random question: would you rather use a baby brush hog or a brush hog?

Thanks
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 11:06 PM   #2
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

It should be fine on both, but i prefer to use my 6'6" MH for them. Try them both and see which one you like best, or have better experiances with.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 11:42 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would prefer the 6 1/2 med heavy action rod myself most of the time but there would be times that a 7 foot heavy action rod would come in handy. For examply, if you are flipping into heavy cover and want to use a heavier line and stronger rod to hoist those bass out of the cover before they can get tied up.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 11:51 PM   #4
skeeter944

I use a 6'6'' Heavy and a 6'6'' Medium-Heavy,I like the Heavy action rod for bigger worms and c-rigs,and the Medium-Heavy for t-rigs and senkos/super flukes. I like the baby brush hog in spring and winter and the brush hog in summer and fall.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 12:24 AM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i use a 7' mh falcon for most of my soft plastic fishing. there are times when i will use a shorter rod like a 6'6" mh. if i am casting to tight places under trees or docks i will use the 6'6" because i am more precise with my casting. if i am just casting to the bank or open water i like the 7' rod because i can make longer cast and my hooksets are better. everyone is a little different in technique and you should see which works best for you, either should be fine. i personally prefer to use the brush hogs if i am fishing murky water, night fishing, or in the winter. it is a little bulkier, easier for the fish to find, and in the winter they seem to prefer a bait that is big enough to make it worth their energy to eat. the rest of the time i would use the baby brush hog but that is just like the rod choice you gave two choices and got two answers. use them both and you will form your own opinion.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 02:14 PM   #6
Raul

That really depends on the type, ammount of cover and presentation technique you are using, would I flip with a MH rod to a mesquite tree ? certainly not. Would I try to cast a weightless fluke with a H rod ? certainly not. All rods have limitiations either in power or action, from all MH/fast are the most "all around" rods, but for certain applications they may not be the best coice.

Between a brush hog and a baby hog I prefer the baby as an all around bait.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 04:52 PM   #7
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Cool. Thanks. I'm just asking all of these questions because I am away from the water. Otherwise I would find out myself.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 07:30 PM   #8
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I personally do not own a rod over 6'6". Not because I don't think they work but because I don't feel comfortable with them. I can cast and control my lure much better with a shorter rod and that it what I stay with.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 07:37 PM   #9
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I used to be the same way HOG, but I've started migrating toward longer and longer rods! It's like you said, just about everything with fishing is preference, the fish don't care, that's for sure!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.