Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-14-11, 12:14 PM   #1
amace85
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Speed Issue

I have a 1995 20' Hydra-Sport LS 185. I'm only able to get around 45mph and maybe 50 if im lucky sometimes. It's running a 175 Johnson outboard. Shouldn't I be getting some more speed out of this? Trimming it correctly but keeping the rpms at 5 and below. Redline for that motor is 5500. Any advice?
amace85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 12:26 PM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Just wondering but is that "dream-O-meter" speed (aka - speedometer) or GPS speed? Also, are you trying to keep you rpms at 5 or is that all you can get?
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 12:49 PM   #3
amace85
BassFishin.Com Member

Ya i'm using the dream o meter. I try not to go over 5 rpm. It will do more though. The guy I got it from told me not to go past 5500 or it will blow the motor. I looked up the specifications on that motor and it agreed that 5500 was redline. I was thinking maybe the motor needs a tune-up or some adjustment maybe?
Old 06-14-11, 01:08 PM   #4
MIbasser

Well at 5k you will see that type of speed with doing nothing to your motor. Your motor should have a rev limiter on it. When I run mine WOT im just about hitting it and getting top speed. You can run up to the limiter on your motor. Even with a 175 on your boat I wouldn't expect much above 63-65 mph.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 01:16 PM   #5
amace85
BassFishin.Com Member

Yes, those speeds sound right about what it should do. 200's run in the lower 70's i believe. Personally, I dont really care much for running over 60 unless the water is like glass. It can turn ugly quick.
Old 06-14-11, 01:48 PM   #6
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by amace85 View Post
Yes, those speeds sound right about what it should do. 200's run in the lower 70's i believe. Personally, I dont really care much for running over 60 unless the water is like glass. It can turn ugly quick.

Not always, my Mariner runs great but the Astro hull is heavier than most and with all my gear and livewells, 45 gals of gas it will do 60 on a cool day, but 58 most of the time at 5600 r's.

I usually run mine in the 5K RPM range or lower (the older I get speed is less of an issue. That puts me about 50 mph and makes my old back a much happier person!

As far as the set up on this topic I believe that MiBasser pretty much nailed it. I used to think that these motors were set up to run WOT all the time. I have blown a motor 5 times since 1992 doing just that. Nowadays, I am taking the opposite approach and trying to baby this motor to (rebuilt twice since 2008) and try to save some money. If it still blows well I guess I will go back to WOT on the next one!
Old 06-14-11, 01:50 PM   #7
lilmule

Hows it propped.pitch three blade or four,type example raker,setback if any like as in jackplate.
Running say 4 in below the pad with a 24 p raker one should get 55-60 out of it-4 in of setback with no difficulty,single loaded and light full load something like the lower number 55 or so Direct on transom about 53mph.
Many with 200 hp dont run but mid sixties or low sixties,tr21 as an example with a 25 p renegade.
As for the rpms its rated that as max hp at that sometimes just to squeeze a motor in that produces more than 10 percent over hp above that rpm level.Example ho versions,rated at 5500 as to much hp after that to call them the same hp but will turn 6 k all day long.
Omc had various rpm limiters available for many rpm levels 5800,6200,etc,racing division used even higher or no limiter but they had an easy replacement policy a factory team and free motors. Running it up to 6 k isnt a problem if it will go there.
Prop change can help a lot at times.I try to prop mine so around 5800-5850,as that is about where the torque ends .
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 02:05 PM   #8
amace85
BassFishin.Com Member

Well from what I've heard, I think mine is running pretty much the way it's supposed to then. I probably could get a little more speed if I up the throttle some. I was just in fear of damage or a blown motor which would ruin a good day of fishin. I'm running a 4 blade prop but I'm not sure what the pitch is and it is a transom mount. As for an rpm limiter, do they all have one or what would you look for to see if it has one? I'm still getting familiar with the boat altogether.
I was also speaking with a guy a while ago on fuel. He said do not add octane boosters to it or it will be an expensive mistake. Any comments on this? I have been using regular unleaded and it seems to cut out some and be a little doggy and not want to idle. I was going to put some fuel treatment and start using Super unleaded instead.
Old 06-14-11, 06:26 PM   #9
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

my queston is this, what is the boat rated for as far as motor hp goes? i have a 20-6 rig with a 200 hp johnson on it. raker stainless prop with a 21 pitch with 3 blades and it gets round 70 mph wot when it is jsut me in the boat and water is like glass. but also, i have a LOT of stuff in my rig too. and my rig is a HEAVY boat to start with. i am probably wrong, but a 20' boat with a 175 seems underpowered for running 65-70 mph. prop has a LOT to do with speed as well as how the motor is set up. height and so forth. i ain't no expert on how to do it either. but if oyu research throught he threads there is a diagram on how to PROPERLY set your motor on the tramson.
lie bob, i am getting too old for RIPPING up and down the lake, besides speed costs money.....which is in short supply around my house.lol.
Old 06-15-11, 01:46 AM   #10
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

First of all 5k RPMs is not a magic limit to keep your motor from blowing up, it should have a rev limiter for that like was mentioned earlier. There are so many factors that go into getting the most out of your boat, but RPMs is a big part of it. I am turning 6k RPMs when running at WOT on my 225. I don't really want that many RPMs so I am going to be doing some searching for a better prop for my Triton. Your motor height is a huge player in not only dialing in your RPMs but also getting the best performance and handling out of your rig. Are you running an adjustable jackplate? If so you need to measure your motor height, there is no magic height that will work for all rigs but I have a feeling yours is probably not close to where it needs to be to get the most out of it. It's possible that you may need a different prop but until you see how many RPMs you are turning at WOT with the prop you have on there now you just don't know. If your prop is getting you up to your rev limiter and your motor height is dialed in then you can either go up a pitch or two in prop or get your current prop balanced and blue printed. Balancing and blueprinting a prop is the only way you will get every ounce of performance out of it and it's really not all that expensive. It won't just improve speed but they can do all kinds of cool stuff when they B&B a prop, all they need are some numbers and they can get you some gains in several areas of performance whether it be higher or lower RPMs, more bow lift, better hole shot, or better handling.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 07:08 AM   #11
lilmule

He said rwas on the transom so rather deep,and while an rpm limiter is desgned to limit rpms thus over reving its not total protectio0n against blowing a motor,
Loss of lubicrant is a major problem.As for octane boosters why woukld you need one only omc ever made that use higher than low 87 oct are the older 4 bangers that blew their tops with less than 89.
Not having heard that and getting an old 4 banger and having a full tank of gas with 87 I treated mine to it(octane booster) with no ill effects but that isnt continued usage.
But any gas available from the pump providing it isnt a hopped mota with shaved heads will do it aint picky.
This is like 2000 year of mfg on back havnt a cllue what the new etecs use,as havnt worn out my 1977 model yet.
And any but ficht and newer can use practically any oil.
On the transom its in the low part of ball park,possibly raise 1 notch on motor frame,posssibly a better prop,can always add a 4 in jackplate that good for a couple mph,providing one has proper water psi at all times.

Last edited by lilmule; 06-15-11 at 07:16 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.