Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-05-11, 10:03 AM   #1
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Crazy depth readings on Humminbird

I have an 898c SI Humminbird unit on the console of my boat. The transducer is mounted on the jack plate. If I am in water less than 10 feet or so, I get some crazy depth readings. It may read 100 foot or 400 foot. I have it set in clear mode but this does not seem to make a difference. I really don't want this thread to be about Lowrance is better than humminbird or the other way around because that has been done time and time again on this forum. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-11, 10:17 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A lot of your problem is where it is mounted,boat is interfering as not below the boat,while it seems neat and one does not have to drill or hole the boat,it will not read at wot with it on pad or super shallow.try epoxying to inside bottom of boat where its a single hull,you can merely test with caulking then after finding a spot clean and place in a more secure manner.Sometimes moving it around on the jackplate makes a difference.
Also bird makes a portable type suction cup mount,for those not running on plane with one,placed on the low part of transom at same height that jackplate is would give close results,wouldnt hold on the pad however.
Since your not using it while at speed why not place it on the troller,there it would have 180 deg,but with half the boat in the way a waste of money or partial as cannot operate in all applications.
Ive seen posts youve made figgure you are idling by ledges and viewing,where its at does that fairly well,but at shallower depths boat and or eq is in the way.
Youve got a good sidefinder I bought a 785c2i awhile back to my dismay while depth capable it uses a smart craft toy and is only 60 deg capable for an almost 800 dollar unit a sin or should be.Land and tie on a smart cast transducer and cast out,what a joke.
It is while lacking as a depth finder a great chartplotter.

Last edited by lilmule; 06-05-11 at 10:27 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-11, 03:48 PM   #3
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
A lot of your problem is where it is mounted,boat is interfering as not below the boat,while it seems neat and one does not have to drill or hole the boat,it will not read at wot with it on pad or super shallow.try epoxying to inside bottom of boat where its a single hull,you can merely test with caulking then after finding a spot clean and place in a more secure manner.Sometimes moving it around on the jackplate makes a difference.
Also bird makes a portable type suction cup mount,for those not running on plane with one,placed on the low part of transom at same height that jackplate is would give close results,wouldnt hold on the pad however.
Since your not using it while at speed why not place it on the troller,there it would have 180 deg,but with half the boat in the way a waste of money or partial as cannot operate in all applications.
Ive seen posts youve made figgure you are idling by ledges and viewing,where its at does that fairly well,but at shallower depths boat and or eq is in the way.
Youve got a good sidefinder I bought a 785c2i awhile back to my dismay while depth capable it uses a smart craft toy and is only 60 deg capable for an almost 800 dollar unit a sin or should be.Land and tie on a smart cast transducer and cast out,what a joke.
It is while lacking as a depth finder a great chartplotter.
thats not his problem. and you cant put a SI unit in the hull. i have one and now at almost a year old,it has started doing the same thing his is. unit works perfectly once in 10 ft or more.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-11, 04:25 PM   #4
nobass

mind dose the same thing when i go in water ten foot or less i get readings up to 259 ft. mind is mounted on my trolling motor. my in dash is mounted on the outsde transome and reads fine. try moving you transducer to the transome and get it off your jackplated
Old 06-05-11, 05:49 PM   #5
Embrey

mines mounted on the transom correctly. it worked fine almost a year, then just out of the blue has the less than 10 ft problem.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 04:33 PM   #6
everettvet

I think the crazy depth readings have been figured out. I spoke with DougV via email and I sent him pics of where my transducer was mounted and explained it to him. He suggested that I was getting some problems with my shoot thru the hull transducer (lowrance) interfering with the humminbird transducer. Allen and I went fishing Friday night. When I launched I left the Lowrance off and the Humminbird read accurately at very shallow depths. While still shallow, I turned on the lowrance. Within a few seconds the humminbird read 400 foot deep and all sorts of strange depths. I turned off the lowrance and the humminbird was accurate again. I need the lowrance because when I am running on plane it gives me a good depth reading and I do not want to buy and install a shoot thru the hull transducer for the humminbird. So, I will be happy that I know how to resolve the issue and that all is well with the electronics on the console of my boat.

I just wanted to give you an update to this problem and say a HUGE THANK YOU to Doug for his time and patience.

Last edited by everettvet; 06-14-11 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-14-11, 06:30 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

so..........one cannot have a hummer on one end and a lowrance on the other and both work? is that what oyu are daying danny? they interfer wich each other? just want to make sure i read this right pal.
Old 06-14-11, 08:54 PM   #8
lilmule

That was a problem years ago thought nowdays they were shielded,as for the ducer mounted on a jackplate cant see how they read at any speed as above the water when on pad or thought it was.And with the boat in the way thought that wouldnt read forward well,again thought.
At any rate glad you have it sorted out.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 07:43 PM   #9
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a lowrance on the front of my boat and a humminbird on the back they dont interfere. But there is a good chance that there is water trapped in the transducer. Transducers can also just go bad. If you buy a new one order me one also i knocked mine of when i hit a stump. But make sure you get me the new though hull mount.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 11:42 PM   #10
everettvet

The transducers that are the problem are the humminbird on the jack plate and the shoot thru the hull lowrance. The transducers are only 2-3 feet apart or so. The transducer that is on the trolling motor (lowrance) does not create a problem with the jack plate transducer.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.