Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-12, 06:56 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default my brother and his sons RAJUN CAJUN

do ya'll remember when i got the boat for my brother and his son? well, he brotught it over to my house today. we started to tear it apart,lol. the transom is rotten on it. so we have been reading up on how to restore it. today we took the first actual step towards that. we took off as much as we could before we started. racing against the rain (which is now upon us) we drilled out all the rivets holding the inside to the hull. popped it loose. but we didn't have enough man power to take it all the way off so we put some boards in between them for now. covered it up with a tarp and gonna get some thing so i can hook up my hoist and pick it off properly.

the boat is not as bad as we first thought it would be. gonna be an easy fix i think. but they started talking about doing some other stuff to it too. i said ok, the more we do the more money it's gonna cost us. my brother thinks we can do it all for around $2000.00 (he thinks he has found a motor very cheap, needing minor repairs). motor and all. i dunno. we gonna give it our best shot though.

i tried once again to load the pics form my phone. but lisa ain't here to help me and i messed up...........again, lol. so ol daniel is gonna post em up for me...........again, hahaha. thanks again daniel. jsut don't let them birds burn on the smoker.

this is going to be a slow process gang. so keep an eye on the progress with us. we are really excited about this project. if we succede, my CAJUN may be next. cross oyur fingers, hahaha!!

Last edited by bamabassman; 02-18-12 at 07:03 PM.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 07:43 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Good luck with the project bama. Fingers are crossed.
Old 02-19-12, 11:24 AM   #3
keithdog

Man, I can't wait to see the photos! It will be good practice before starting on your own. I hope it all goes as well as espected. I'm sure it's going to look awsome when your done!
Old 02-19-12, 02:41 PM   #4
joedog

Thanks for the up date!
Looking forward to more!.......and pics!
Old 02-19-12, 02:46 PM   #5
WatterBoy

Sounds like A LOT of work to me. Good luck!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-12, 06:35 PM   #6
MississippiBoy

Ok, I've already gotten in trouble for not posting the pics yet, so here they are:

Drilling out the rivets.

Heath Seaver (Haydenbasskid) popping out the drilled out rivets.

John's brother Steve removing the seal between the hull and the top cap.

Unscrewing the inside lip.

Transom, pic#1.

Transom, pic #2.

Ok, what is this? It's in the back, and has 2 holes on either side with rubber grommets.

Old 02-19-12, 06:45 PM   #7
bamabassman

lol!!! thanks daniel. the last picture has us guessing gang. this is in the back of the boat. in the middle, right in front of where the motor mounts. could this be where the forward and reverse cable is SUPPOSED to go? or is it for someting else. there are so many things we found that were shade tree rigged up over th years ont his thing. house hold plumbing parts, WATER hoses which seems as though the FACTORY hooked up. i'll get pictures of that fro real for ya'll to see. but there isn't anything we could figure this piece is used for. we wantt o restore it as close to original as possible, if money allows.
there is no "paperwork" on these rigs that we can find. so if any of ya'll know someone who has a cajun around this yar model, let us know ok? it is an '82 model, 17'6" "fishing machine".

thanks gang. and thank oyu daniel. i AM gonna learn how to post pictures. i just mess up every time i try it.
Old 02-19-12, 11:01 PM   #8
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Watch Southern Comfort. Drink Dixie Beer. That's the best advice I can give
Old 02-20-12, 10:05 AM   #9
Captmikestarrett

I think that is for battery cables. In 83 they liked to seperate the fuel line from the battery cables.

Capt Mike
Old 02-20-12, 01:32 PM   #10
bamabassman

capt, that makes more sense than what we were thinking aobut. we thought it was for the forward and reverse cables. but battery cables make more sense. although i don't know for sure. i'll remember that when we go to putting her back together. thanks capt.
Old 02-20-12, 11:53 PM   #11
A-style
BassFishin.Com Member

Mississippiboy, I can tell you exactly what that contraption is for. . . Wait for it. . . Power trim hoses. I'm willing to bet that beauty had a mercury tower of power on it. In the early years the trim pump was external and mounted in the engine/battery compartment and the four trim hoses 2 up 2 down went out to the motor via that block. I'm am very familiar with that setup as my dad has an 86 glasstream with a merc with same setup. I have spent hours on end working on that old boat. I'd also bet that you can look and see the four holes where the pump was mounted.
A-style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 01:55 AM   #12
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Cool boat! Seems like a fun, although Im sure frustrating at times project.

I cant wait til im older and can afford a bass boat. Really any type of boat for that matter.
I love me a nice project.

Im sure your nephew is learning alot as well!
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 09:24 AM   #13
Captmikestarrett

Now that makes even better sense..pump lines...

Capt Mike
Old 02-21-12, 06:43 PM   #14
bamabassman

ok....pump lines........got it. i am sure it DID have the tower of power on it in the begining. but we are hoping to find a fixer-upper,lol. thanks for the info a-style. by the way, it ain't mississippiboys rig, his works and has a motor on it. i am jsut too ignorant to post the pics on my computer. so he does it for me as well as others on here.

any more info on this boat would be GREATLY appreciated folks. we need all the hlp we can get. i am in the process of figuring out a way to set up a "table" of sorts to set the cap on. probably will go in the shop so it can be easly worked on suring bad weather. the bottom hull too, after we take if off the trailer. trailer won't fit in the shop, too long.

i TOLD lisa i needed a bigger shop when we built this one. guess i got a reason to ADD ON huh? lol! i'm gonna get killed for that remark too. hahahaha!!!
Old 02-23-12, 07:02 AM   #15
lilmule

Several saw horses will hold the top cap nicely,and replace those rivets with screws when you put humtpy back together.On wood you dont replace rot doctor will help keep it going for years.
One of the major reasons I went to composite boats,wood.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-12, 07:36 PM   #16
bamabassman

yeah muly, i am thinking of using SEACAST on the transom. i like what i have seen on it in videos. also may use it in other rotted out places.
the boat is now mine again. we have found 2 other rigs we are waiting on. will give details aobut them when we find out which one is THE ONE. but i am still gonna restore this rig. learn on this one and then do my REAL BOAT. the 97 cajun. i just love these boats. good boats in my book.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.