Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-14-12, 07:41 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default all around spinning rod

I was wondering what some might consider an all around spinning rod to be? I know many feel a 7 ft mh casting rod to be somewhat of an all around rod. Recomendations please as I would like to get one for my new reel. It's a Soron STX 20. I have shakey head and drop shot set ups. I want to be able to use cranks, plastics and a few other baits.

Last edited by bassinbob; 11-15-12 at 05:08 PM.
bassinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 08:31 PM   #2
Marty

I think your best bet is a 6-1/2' or 7', M or MH power and a fast tip. I've used the 6-1/2' (mostly M) for years and I use quite a variety of techniques. A 10# mono or 15# braid should meet your needs.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 09:44 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ditto what Marty said except I would drop down to 8lb line.
Old 11-14-12, 10:06 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For me, an all around spinning rod is a 7' M F, or even a 7' ML F. This is because I only throw stuff on spinning rods that I can't throw on a baitcaster as well as dropshots.

My ideal dropshot rod is something around 7'-7'3" ML F with a pretty soft tip.

But for a more general purpose, I'd probably go with a similar length rod, but in a Med power.

BB
Old 11-15-12, 12:07 PM   #5
nofearengineer

I have an STX10 and an STX40, so I'm trying to visualize what the perfect rod would be for the 20. The STX reels are hellaciously heavy, which isn't necessarily a problem, but at the very least, would influence my rod choice.

A heavy spinning reel like the STX will allow you to use a longer rod without it feeling as tip-heavy. In that respect, I would definitely go with a 7-footer.

At that length, a ML would probably could feel a bit "whippy". And especially since you are looking for an "all around" rod, I would go with a medium power, with a fast tip.

Depending on application, you could use anywhere from 6-12lb fluorocarbon or mono.
Old 11-15-12, 01:55 PM   #6
bassboogieman

Quote:
I was wondering what some might consider an all around spinning rod to be? (edit) I have a shakey head and drop shot set ups.
So I think you may already own one. If I only had ONE spinning rod it would have to be multi-purpose or "all around". With that in mind I have to agree with the other guys and would choose a 7' med/fast rod, preferably in a high end class for maximum sensitivity and performance. That's my preference. You can certainly vary the rod length rod between 6'9" and 7'3" in length, but I think the power (medium) and action (fast) would not change.

THAT SAID, my assumption is that you already own a rod like that which has been described either as your drop shot or shakey head stick. If that assumption is correct, then I would look towards purchasing a rod with a more "specialized" purpose. I'm not a fan of "general purpose" or "all around" rods, as I believe while they may do several things ok, they don't excell in any but a few and sacrifice some atributes at the ends of thier useful range where a different power/action may perform better.

If I were primarily concerned with (light) plastics (slow presentation) I'd want a 7' M/f rod. Heavier plastics a MH/f may be a better performer. Light cranks, I'd want 6'6" M/mod. I would also prefer a higher quality and more sensitive rod for the plastics, certainly in graphite, but the crank rod I'd consider a composite or even a 'glass rod. So many variable go into fishing specific baits and if you're at the point of expanding your "arsenal" of rods, it may be time to start thinking about being more orientated to specific rods for a specific purpose.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 08:55 PM   #7
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Seven foot medium fast. Any brand you fancy.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 10:35 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Bob, here is a thought. Take your reel and try it on several rods and see which one feels right.

That will pretty much guarantee that you will get the right rod you want.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.