Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-30-12, 03:45 AM   #1
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What are your 2013 "Must Try" or "Must Improve" Techniques?

Hey guys,

I've been out of the bass fishing loop for awhile due to a busy work and home life but now that we have moved to a new area that is a hotspot for both smallies and largies, I am excited about the challenge that comes with new waters to fish. I also rarely fished for smallies previously so I get the advantage of getting more familiar with them as well. I am looking forward to the challenge (and tips from you guys are always welcome!!!)

In combing over this site and others I see that I have missed a lot the last few years. There are enough new techniques and twists on old techniques to keep me busy for sure. So I am interested to hear which techniques you want to try next year.....

For me, I am going to definitely have to work on my jig and tube fishing out here and never really seem to put the time in with crankbaits and swimbaits that I should.
Old 12-30-12, 10:40 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm planning to try to slow down a bit and work my soft plastics a bit more than I usually do. Normally I'm slinging spinnerbaits, crankbaits, frog and pitchin quickly to cover as much water as I can. I knoiw that will still be my main stay, but slowing down to work a shakey head rig, senko style baits, and otheer slower presentations is something I want to spend more effort on. Now lets see if I have the patience for that! lol
Old 12-30-12, 10:52 AM   #3
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i am still tring to get use to dropshotting and shakey head fishing got to slow it doen
Old 12-30-12, 01:45 PM   #4
bamabassman

i too am wanting to do more jig fishing. even try to do some more cranking, DEEP cranking. also the shaky head, drop shotting. i am going to TRY to do more DEEP water fishing. try to work on the structures out in the middle of the lake instead of beating the banks. look for old road beds, trees adn such out in the middle. learn to read my sonar better so i can fish these areas better. i THINK i may get out of the DINK catching and go for some quality fish. lol!
Old 12-30-12, 04:01 PM   #5
Jrob78

My main fishing goal this year is to change the way I fish. I am planning on getting a kayak in the early spring and getting accustom to fishing from it. I'm leaning toward the Wilderness System Ride 115, set up with one of the new Lowrance Elite 7's. That in itself will take me a season to get the hang of.
Old 12-30-12, 05:28 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

I am glad you brought this up. I am going to find a spoon that will go thru deep cover , run fast , and push water like a minnow running for it life. Must have big hook protected by a stout weed gaurd. Oh and cast a mile.

Capt Mike
Old 12-30-12, 06:26 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

Capt if you find a spoon with all those specs............post it.
Old 12-30-12, 06:35 PM   #8
bamabassman

DITTO TO THE POSTING A PIC CAPT!! maybe a homemade spoon? hmmm....my gears are cranking up in my head. couple of cogs missing, but still running. lol
Old 12-30-12, 06:40 PM   #9
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i too am wanting to do more jig fishing. even try to do some more cranking, DEEP cranking. also the shaky head, drop shotting. i am going to TRY to do more DEEP water fishing. try to work on the structures out in the middle of the lake instead of beating the banks. look for old road beds, trees adn such out in the middle. learn to read my sonar better so i can fish these areas better. i THINK i may get out of the DINK catching and go for some quality fish. lol!
I'd bet money thats where the better fish are at the mudhole John!
Old 12-30-12, 06:43 PM   #10
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
I am glad you brought this up. I am going to find a spoon that will go thru deep cover , run fast , and push water like a minnow running for it life. Must have big hook protected by a stout weed gaurd. Oh and cast a mile.

Capt Mike
How about a heavy weedless Johnsons Minnow spoon? You could even drill a small hole on either side of the hook at the rear of the spoon and hang a couple small willow blades for added flash and movement. Just an idea.
Old 12-30-12, 06:57 PM   #11
bamabassman

i am thinking of taking an old spoon, heavy spoon...taking it to a shop and welding a 4 ought hook on it and a specially made guard. maybe several of differnt withs and such. see what happens. dang it capt....look what you got me thinking now. lol!!

and keith, that is EXACTLY why i wanna do the deep fishing. the mudhole has fish in it. but like oyu said, i think they are deep.
Old 01-01-13, 05:20 PM   #12
nascar2428
BassFishin.Com Member

Having just started Bass fishing during the summer, I concentrated on spinner baits and texas rigging. Caught a lot of fish. This season I plan on carolina, wacky, and top water. I know I'm late to the dance, but at least I'm having a blast learning all the new moves.
nascar2428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 08:14 PM   #13
bamabassman

welcome ot the party nascar.. never too late for THIS kind of party bud.

Last edited by bamabassman; 01-01-13 at 09:20 PM.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 10:00 PM   #14
bcklash

Learn how to position my boat better.
Old 01-01-13, 10:45 PM   #15
Bassboss

I'm intending on throwing a shaky head allot this year. Texas rigged worms do really well come spring here, but they get t-rig shy after a little while. Throwing a shaky head'll give em a little something different to look for, as well as be effective earlier on in the season.
Old 01-02-13, 12:56 AM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Like Joe, I am hoping to make a change in the way I fish. The last few years I have started leaning too much baits like squarebilled crankbaits and buzzbaits. Not that I won't use these baits still, but I need to get back to being able to shift gears and pick up a jig rod, shakey head rod, carolina rig rod, ect. I wouldn't say that I have become one demensional yet because I have still went to these techniques when I had to, but I have just been trying to hard to get fish to eat certain baits when I should have been more willing to do something different. I used to be really good about this, and then a few really strong tournaments made me fall in love with certain techniques too much.
Old 01-02-13, 10:19 AM   #17
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

2012 was a blessed year for me. I purchased a boat big enough to sustain in winds and I learned how to stay in the wind and fish, instead of tucking in coves. I didn't have a stellar year in numbers, but I caught more quality fish. While I did visit the gold mine lake a few times, I have been more focused on public and bigger bodies of water. I plan on honing my skills with the use of electronics and keeping better journals of my trips this year.

As far as presentations and lures go. I plan on staying in deeper water. There is a time to beat the bank and a time to back off and I need to manage that better to get the most out of my trips. I have added an arsenal of deep cranks and built a knock off of Reese's Lamiglas and I have a Seekers RFS 806 (8'-MH-Mod S-Glass) in the corner waiting on construction. And not trying to push a commercial, but if you haven't checked them out, look at the Seeker cranking sticks at TW. The S-glass has the feel of glass and the weight of graphite.
Old 01-02-13, 07:07 PM   #18
Dave63

Same as every year...Jigs. I need to get back to using some TX rigged plastics this year as well.
Old 01-02-13, 07:10 PM   #19
bamabassman

dave63...jigs have got to be the most TIME consuming technique there is. my problem with it is FLIPPING the dang thing. of ocurse instead of sitting here at the computer....i COULD be practicing, lol. maybe i will in a couple of weeks. yeah....i'll try to do that fo rreal.
Old 01-03-13, 10:55 AM   #20
Deckape
BassFishin.Com Member

I am going to finesse fish more this year, I have been throwing buzz baits, spinner baits and topwater flukes. I am going to have a dedicated drop shot rod in my kayak and actually use it as a primary setup.
Old 01-03-13, 12:42 PM   #21
joedog

I fish so many different waters that it's hard to plan my year.
I want to fish more often though, that's a must.
Going to do the float and fly cause one outing wasn't enough.
I used a lot of new to me techniques this year.
Some I've became pretty good at.

It all depends on the water levels this year. Makes a HUGE difference when shore busting.
I can't tell you how many times I've stocked up on lures for a technique that sounded great in JAN. just to find out the target waters were changed due to natural and un-natural changes and the technique was no longer needed or as useful due to changes. Ex. frogging is maybe my favorite tech. and this year I only fished them maybe a dozen times with limited success.
I didn't wacky or drop-shot as much as past years so waters depending, will probably do more this year like years past.

Plus by the time weather allows open water fishing around here you anglers will have my mind on at least a half a dozen NEW ideas for me to try that I'm not even aware yet that I need them.
Bottom line is I learn or attempt to learn probably a half of dozen new to me techniques or tweaks every year.

But 'flick shake' will definitely be on this years list.

Oh almost forgot, welcome to party nascar2428 and the 'blast' never ends, just changes direction.
Old 01-03-13, 01:19 PM   #22
WaffleJaw

For fishing technique I will be focusing on deep off shore structure.
Everything else will be spent in using my electronics to their full potential...Kayak fishing only allows me to cover so much water on large bodies...Researching topo,and pre-planning my route on new water is helping eliminate a ton of excess paddling/looking..and proving successful.

My other goals are to see my company triple in sales this year,and to catch 3 new species.
Old 01-04-13, 04:06 PM   #23
Dshow28

It seems to me that Elite Series tournaments are frequently won on crankbaits, although I have enjoyed fishing crankbaits in the past with decent success, I feel like I could really improve on this technique. I plan to really work on taking my crankbait game to a new level in 2013.
Dshow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 06:09 PM   #24
Dave63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
dave63...jigs have got to be the most TIME consuming technique there is. my problem with it is FLIPPING the dang thing. of ocurse instead of sitting here at the computer....i COULD be practicing, lol. maybe i will in a couple of weeks. yeah....i'll try to do that fo rreal.
I could practice but it would just disappear into the snow or skid across the ice.
Old 01-04-13, 10:21 PM   #25
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Fishing deep, working on techniques already in use ie. swimbaits, a-rigs, deep cranks, drop shot, and like a lot of others, jigs. Plus want to try this flick shake technique w/a few tweaks.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.