Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-19-06, 03:37 PM   #1
Emoney
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Motor problems

My buddy has a 2002 200hp Optimax on the nitro that he owns, it starts fine, but when he puts it in gear and hits the throttle, it bogs down and wont get the boat on plane. When he is going accross the water like this, you can hear the engine hesitating, and it sounds like its missing a beat, almost like a car trying to shift but cant. Any idea's on what could be the problem?
Emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 03:57 PM   #2
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i would check the fuel filter first,then the fuel pump.make sure the tank vent is not clogged also.check the fuel line from the tank to the motor.
sure sounds like a fuel problem to me.i know,i had a few of them.fortunately the most expensive items to replace were the 2 fuel pumps at $75 a pop.(my suzuki has 2 fuel pumps)
Old 07-23-06, 06:29 AM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you aint real familiar witht he newer engines here is the time to get the help of a hands on mechanic. I can sit here and tell ya what to try and find but without meters and so on will be kinda hard to help ya. Ya definatley have a problem that is in the firing or fuel delivery area and possibly both . The big problem is that a engine that size that has a fuel delivery problem could detinate if not fixed. Check all fuel lines and filters put in new plugs and run a can of seafoam. From there if it persists take it to a dealer.
Old 07-24-06, 10:20 AM   #4
Emoney
BassFishin.Com Member

Well this past weekend we checked the plugs, and they looked to be ok. I think he is going to take it to a mechanic as soon as they can get it in. It looks like it is most likely something in the fuel line, filter or pump area. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-25-06, 10:57 PM   #5
nb1226
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nb1226

Dont totally change out that fuel pump, check the diaphram, if it is dry rotted it can cause the same problem, I had a similar problem, I changed the diaphram to the fuel pump, cost $12.
nb1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-06, 11:30 AM   #6
Emoney
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the advice. I found the problem. There was a clip that had broke for one of the wire harness's that runs the #6 spark plug and head. So they were not firing. I fixed the clip and harness and it runs perfect again.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.