Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-29-06, 06:45 PM   #1
motormount
BassFishin.Com Member

Talking Trolling Motor Mount

I ran into a problem with my fish ski boat when I upgraded my trolling motor. My boat can with the standard removable mount for fish ski boats. But I bought a new Minn Kota PowerDrive motor that would not fit in the mounting system. I looked everywhere for a replacement plate that would accept the new design motors that are shorter and wider. I know they sell new quick release mounts but you have to drill all new holes into your fiberglass and half of the old holes for the old mount would be exposed because the new mounts are so short.
Long story short, I had a custom plate made to fit my exsisting removable mount so I could mount my new PowerDrive motor without drilling any holes in my boat. Now I have a system that can mount just about any trolling motor old or new.
I have started a website that you can get these universal plates if you know anyone else that is having the same issues/concerns as I did. Just email me and I will send you the link to the site. info@trollingmotormount.net
motormount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 07:34 PM   #2
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormount View Post
Just email me and I will send you the link to the site. info@trollingmotormount.net
Going out on a limb here. Is the site www.trollingmotormount.net?
Old 08-29-06, 07:48 PM   #3
motormount
BassFishin.Com Member

You are getting very close. Have you guys heard anyone else that is facing the same issues that I had?

I bought the new Minn Kota PowerDrive with autoPilot over a month ago and I finally got the motor mounted this weekend. It took 3 weeks to get the right piece of aluminum from an online steel company. Then it took a week to get a local machinist to drill and tap all required fittings. (Nightmare) I will be taking it out fishing for the first time tomorrow morining.
motormount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-06, 08:43 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Haven't had that issue because I have never owned a Fish and Ski. Hower I would be concerned about the mouting hole distances. There was obviously a reason the company put them where they did. Perhaps the holes are now to close together, and could cause a problem with the torque you get from the trolling motor. Could possibly crack the fiberglass due to them being so close? Not sure if this is a issue, but I have had a trolling moter pull out of my aluminum form the torque, and it was mounted with the "Manufacturers" bracket. I will also say that it was a much bigger moter than the boat was originally designed for, which I'm sure had a lot to do with it also. Just make sure it's not gonna do that, I'm guessing you upgraded the power or the moter also.

Lizards
Old 09-03-06, 10:25 AM   #5
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

MOTORMOUNT/LIZARDS,
When I get a new boat, the first thing I do is to take the nuts off the mounting bolts of the trolling motor and install 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch fender washers on the underside of the fiberglass to keep it from cracking or pulling out due to the torque. I learned this trick with the old rubber mounting pads that pushed in from the top and then squeesed out to hold the TM. On some of the newer boats, it is kind of a tight fit to get your hand in to reach the mounting bolts after you pull the front console, but it is worth the trouble.

JackL

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.