Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-12-12, 06:57 PM   #1
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default K-Rig 2 wire

A buddy and myself have been working to build a 2-wire rig that is legal in KS. We have come up with a couple of different versions of this rig, and they all work but not quite as well as I would like.

Looking for suggestions or comments.

The top rig works the best, the copper spinner in the middle is a size 3 and spins 95% of the time. When it does not work properly the spinner blade flips over the wire and does not spin.

The lower left works good, but the spinner blade does not spin much at at just a very subtle wiggle out of it, might need to go to something that catches more water?

The lower right works well about 75% of the time, the blade is a size 4 and had the same problem as the other but more frequently.

I should add that you will know immediately if the blade is not spinning, and can jerk the bait or let it fall and it will correct itself most of the time.

Looking for ideas on how to prevent the blades from hanging on the wire.

Don't mean to be rude, but I am not interested in the moral/ethical debate about right or wrong, but if you have an idea for a fix, I would love to hear it.

Old 03-12-12, 07:14 PM   #2
woody

Somehow the attachment point of the spinner needs to be be a set further back from the "line tie". However this is achieved, it needs to be rigid so that the spinner blade can't wrap around the outer rig.

You might be able to extend the wire of the spinner attachment location "someway, somehow" to allow this. Does this make sense.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 09:21 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i am IMPRESSED taves. i like it for real.
Old 03-12-12, 09:54 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My first thought is that you should try a number 5 Indiana style blade on the top model which I think is your best version. It will catch more water and perhaps spin reliably. Another thought is to use a stiff wire like that used on an inline spinner and attach it to the tie eye so that the blade runs 2-3 inches behind where it's attached to the rig.
Old 03-12-12, 09:55 PM   #5
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Somehow the attachment point of the spinner needs to be be a set further back from the "line tie". However this is achieved, it needs to be rigid so that the spinner blade can't wrap around the outer rig.

You might be able to extend the wire of the spinner attachment location "someway, somehow" to allow this. Does this make sense.

-Mark

Thanks Woody, your suggestion gave me another idea, I am going to use a couple of small beads beside the swivel with the blade on it. It will help keep the blade centered and should prevent it from becomming tangled. It sounds crazy but it really helped seeing a picture of it instead of looking at laying here.
Old 03-12-12, 09:57 PM   #6
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i am IMPRESSED taves. i like it for real.

Thanks John, been awhile since I tried bending any wire.
Old 03-12-12, 10:17 PM   #7
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Does it work without the spinnerbait blade on it? Try and narrow down what is causing the problem.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 10:32 PM   #8
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
My first thought is that you should try a number 5 Indiana style blade on the top model which I think is your best version. It will catch more water and perhaps spin reliably. Another thought is to use a stiff wire like that used on an inline spinner and attach it to the tie eye so that the blade runs 2-3 inches behind where it's attached to the rig.

Thanks for the suggestion Keith, are you in reference to a specific one or just in general?
Old 03-13-12, 12:53 AM   #9
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Tony, try this idea. Instead of bending the center line tie into a circle, bend it into a 1/2inch or 3/4 inch long loop shaped like the oval split rings, except when you get to the bottom of that loop, turn a full circle so that the swivvel has to stay in the end. That will let the spinner sit further back and should do the trick. You can hook the swivvel to that loop with a small split ring to make it easier to put on after all bending is done. If that works, you could do the same thing in the middle of the side arms to have 2 more spots for spinner blades.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 01:50 AM   #10
Tavery5

Think this may work, the beads keep the swivel from moving close enough to the edge and the blade cant loop itself over the wire. Gonna give this a test and see how it works.

These look amazing in the water by the way.

Old 03-13-12, 11:43 AM   #11
MississippiBoy

That looks good, Tony, and I think you're right about the beads forcing the swivel to stay straighter. My only thought is what if the swivel rotates around on its attachment to the side, rather than up or down?
I can't come up with the right words to explain what I mean....Grrrrrr....
Ok, with the lure lying flat like it is on the table, if you were to pick up just the spinner blade and pull it up and rotate it as far towards the line tie as you could, would it be possible for it to get stuck up there somehow? How far will the swivel pivot around that way? I bet the water would push it back where it belonged, but with a 2D image, it's tough to judge.
Old 03-13-12, 11:58 AM   #12
WaffleJaw

Tony Im glad to see someone trying the concept and so far it looks great! .Does it swim vertically?
Old 03-13-12, 12:22 PM   #13
lilmule

They look good,but due to the way Tn sees them they are 3 rigs,due to blades being teasers,exception of when placed on the bait as out of the pkg.
Why not try placing them on the bait itself lower part like a road runner is made,and tad smaller.
Of the three in the pic myself i rather like left hand side one,does not look like should hang up much.Center blade ones do however look promising.
Several mfg are adding a blade to the jighead,as outof the pkg this is but one.

I also like the way your going as well as a legal three arm here
Havnt a clue if yours counts as out of the pkg with blades already on it not as in added if so could load more up,as in preloaded.not removable,something each person should do is check.

Last edited by lilmule; 03-13-12 at 12:51 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 02:38 PM   #14
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
That looks good, Tony, and I think you're right about the beads forcing the swivel to stay straighter. My only thought is what if the swivel rotates around on its attachment to the side, rather than up or down?
I can't come up with the right words to explain what I mean....Grrrrrr....
Ok, with the lure lying flat like it is on the table, if you were to pick up just the spinner blade and pull it up and rotate it as far towards the line tie as you could, would it be possible for it to get stuck up there somehow? How far will the swivel pivot around that way? I bet the water would push it back where it belonged, but with a 2D image, it's tough to judge.

I understand what you are saying, the swivel is too large to allow it to flip over itself that way. Good looking out, I threw it the other day and it only got hung up on the sides of the bait, I think the beads may be an easy fix.
Old 03-13-12, 02:43 PM   #15
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Tony Im glad to see someone trying the concept and so far it looks great! .Does it swim vertically?

It is actually kind of strange, with a slow steady retrieve, it swims horizontal, when you crank it faster it rolls and the baits swim on top of one another. Looks great both ways, with only the two baits, it does not seem to matter much which orientation it runs.

I want to be clear that it does not continue to roll, only change orientation and then run true.
Old 03-13-12, 02:47 PM   #16
Tavery5

Mule, we are allowed to have blades and attractors added to the rig, and they are not counted as an additional bait. We cannot however use actual baits with the hooks removed. They said blades and streamers were fine.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.