Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-25-10, 04:16 AM   #1
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default 8" huddleston rigging?

need some rigging advice/ ideas on an 8" hudd ROF 5 that doesnt come with any hooks. right now i just have a treble on a split ring attached to the bottom loop...dangling. doesnt look pretty & probably will get stuck on some weeds or rocks. would like to make the treble more flushed to the body of the bait? i've seen butch brown's rigging method & heard of mike long's rigging but have never seen pics of it. would like to see how others are rigging this particular bait. thanks
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-10, 05:38 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I went to a seminar with Mike Long last year and have started using some of his techniques.
One of the things he does is to use a small screw and attach the hook to the hard plastic that makes up the head. He also uses a technique where he threads his line through the head and holds the hook in place with a magnet.
Check out the catch 22 design to see this.
Old 12-26-10, 03:22 AM   #3
boloson

ok how would i go about in attaching a magnet to the bottom or top of a hudd? superglue it? radio shack magnets perhaps?
Old 12-26-10, 04:11 AM   #4
cassidyta

Place a small wood screw into the body and then superglue the magnet to the head of the screw. You won't need a super strong magnet.
Old 12-26-10, 10:17 PM   #5
boloson

i'll give that a shot. found some small round earth magnets on amazon for cheap. i didnt want to damage the soft body of the bait so was weary of screwing in a screw. thanks again for another advice. do u happen to have a link to the mike long seminar?
Old 12-27-10, 12:12 PM   #6
cassidyta

Sorry, no link, He was at a local tackle shop out here.
Old 12-27-10, 03:12 PM   #7
cassidyta

As far as magnets, I don't think you need to go crazy on the type. I use ones that I purchased at a craft store.
I would also say don't worry too much about damaging the body. I have seen ones with several modifications that work great.
One of the more unique ways that I say involved placing an eye on the back of the bait. This was once again done by adding a screw to the top (I also put epoxy on the end of the screw)
The purpose of the eye on the back is that when casted, the bait will swim away from you. This is great when the fish are back deep in the junk. The splash occurs in front of them and the lure wims towards them.
Old 12-27-10, 03:23 PM   #8
cassidyta

I think the brown technique is good, but use two split rings and barrel swivel when I connect a top hook.
I do think his technique is cleaner, but I haven't had issues with mine.
Old 12-27-10, 08:08 PM   #9
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
One of the more unique ways that I say involved placing an eye on the back of the bait. This was once again done by adding a screw to the top (I also put epoxy on the end of the screw)
The purpose of the eye on the back is that when casted, the bait will swim away from you. This is great when the fish are back deep in the junk. The splash occurs in front of them and the lure wims towards them.
I'm not sure what u mean by adding an eye on the back. Screw a 2nd screw towards rear of the bait? And add another hook on this? To increase hook up percentage in the event a fish strikes from the rear?

Yes browns method is clean but I just can't push myself to cut a gamakatsu treble. Frog hook perhaps?
Old 12-27-10, 10:54 PM   #10
cassidyta

I will try to find a pic to explain what I am trying to describe.

You put a screw into the back of the bait and attach a wire similar to the brown techique. This is where you tie your main line. Because your line it attached to the back of the bait instead of the front, the weighted head makes the bait swim away from you.
Old 12-28-10, 01:01 AM   #11
boloson

ok i have a picture of it. so when u reel in the bait the head faces away from u, is that right?

wont this mess up the entire swimming action of the bait?
Old 12-28-10, 01:34 AM   #12
cassidyta

Yes, it doesn't swim back to the boat worth a darn. It is only good for tossing next to a tree or at a ledge and having it swim away from you.
I have seen it work great with overhanging structure.

Since I fish SB's ALOT, I will usually have 2 or 3 tied on at once with several different modifications.

I finally found a pic. Mike long calls it a reverse hudd.

http://swimbaitnation.com/nationtalk...=23765&start=0
Old 12-28-10, 04:59 AM   #13
boloson

man thats funky. cant really swim it but great concept. expensive experiment for sure & there's no way i'll be filleting a hudd anytime soon. thanks again for all the info
Old 12-28-10, 01:26 PM   #14
cassidyta

I used a castaic from walmart for the one that I rigged backwards. It was easier for me to cut into a $7 bait than a $20
Old 12-29-10, 05:14 AM   #15
boloson

haha. yea i dont have the guts. i think im going to go the brown way with a frog hook & magnet. still trying to figure out the magnet install though with the least structure damage to the hudd itself
Old 01-09-11, 02:21 PM   #16
Deacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I think the brown technique is good, but use two split rings and barrel swivel when I connect a top hook.
I do think his technique is cleaner, but I haven't had issues with mine.
Butch Browns way is the best way to rig ANY Hudd.Its quick, its simple and most of all has a awesome hook -up ratio. Not only cleaner, but it doesnt effect the motion of the bait in the water. Id also really helps prevent gut hooking or gill hooking the bait. Bottom hooks or belly hooks will make yout bait very snaggy on the bottom. ROF 5 in winter is not the best choice as it will take forever for the bait to get to the bottom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=453ZUor4jI0
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 10:25 PM   #17
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Butch Browns way is the best way to rig ANY Hudd.Its quick, its simple and most of all has a awesome hook -up ratio. Not only cleaner, but it doesnt effect the motion of the bait in the water. Id also really helps prevent gut hooking or gill hooking the bait. Bottom hooks or belly hooks will make yout bait very snaggy on the bottom. ROF 5 in winter is not the best choice as it will take forever for the bait to get to the bottom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=453ZUor4jI0
yes most likely i will be doing it this way. do u think if the hooks faced the other way it would have a higher hook up percentage? it seems to make more sense to me having the hooks face the other way
Old 01-09-11, 11:35 PM   #18
Deacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
yes most likely i will be doing it this way. do u think if the hooks faced the other way it would have a higher hook up percentage? it seems to make more sense to me having the hooks face the other way

I wouldnt...
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.