Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-21-11, 12:52 AM   #1
Fish-N-Fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Exclamation A better way to wacky rig heavy salt baits

By Rick Lawrence

Like a lot of you guys I love to fish sinking soft plastics wacky rigged. I tried the o-ring method I have seen posted here and there on the net, but I really didn't like that setup for a couple reasons. Mostly because it leaves the hook sideways like in this photo;

That's on the same plane as the fish’s mouth and I USE TO MISS A TON OF FISH with this set-up. The hook would just pull right out of their mouth. This pix also shows the Gammy weedless wacky hook and I love Gammy hooks, but I'm not a fan of this one.

So I got to thinking there has to be a better way to wacky rig and I have found it. I use a 1/4" piece of 3/8" (or 1/2" if you can find it) surgical tubing. It is really easy to put on one of my baits as all you have to do is wet the tail of the bait a bit and slide it up the tail to the middle of the bait. For you guys that still fish that other inferior sinking bait, it works for them also.
For wacky rigging a sinking soft plastic I use the Owner 1/0 weedless wacky hook. It is the best wacky rig hook I've seen yet and the weed guard doesn't get in the way, but does a good job of keeping the junk of the hook. I of course use the worlds strongest and ez to tie knot there is "The Fish-N-Fool knot" named after yours truly. (See knot wars 2009 or the u-tube Fish-N-Fool knot video on how to tie it) Ok now that you have the hook tied on you slide the surgical tubing up the bait to the mid point where the natural balance of the bait is. Unlike some other baits my bait have a top and a bottom so I run the hook from the bottom up just catching a little bit of the bait along with the surgical tube like this.

That leaves the hook point straight up 90 deg. to the fish’s mouth so I hook them in the top lip 95% of the time and in the corner of the mouth the rest. My baits always fall with the top side up though, (do to water hydraulics), so with other baits in may hook them in the bottom lip which would still be ok. I almost NEVER miss a fish with this set-up. The plus side of it, the baits never fall off so you can catch up to 50 fish on just one bait. I fish super heavy cover a lot of the time so I Tex-Pose my baits first like this;
I use 3/8 I.D. 1/2 O.D. colored surgical tubing. You can find a color of tubing to closely match almost any bait.
The best place I have found to get it is off the web. That site sells 5 ft of colored tubing for $6.50 with some odd lengths even cheaper. They have about 15 colors.
I'm not sure if I can post a link to the site or not here, so until I find out if you want the URL just shoot me a PM
If I can post it I will soon.

I save the baits that tear up the nose of the bait while texas rigged and fish them wacky later in more open water. Here is a close up of the Owner wacky hook and rig.

The nice thing about using surgical tubing is it come in lots of sizes and colors so you can get different colors to match the bait you are using. I used a white bait here with the blue tubing just so it was easier to see. I use the natural flesh color a lot along with black, greens and reds. If you look for it, it comes in many , many colors. You can also use the same tool you put your o-rings on with the this tubing and it work much better IMHO
Give this set-up a try I think you will really like it.

I also use this same idea for Texas rigged baits like these

So like to share with you guys some tricks that I have learned on how to make texas rigged baits last longer that are prone to tear easily. I use a 2/0 to 4/0 Gammy EWG hook and a short piece of 3/8" surgical tubing colored to match the bait. I slide the tubing around the head of the bait where the hook goes through the center of the bait like normal and comes out through the tubing like this. I just wet the bait and tubing in my mouth and push the tubing over the bait till you have about 3/8" sticking out.

This holds the hook much more stable and causes less tearing in both the head of the bait and the body of the bait where the hook point goes through without hurting the action or making a hard spot in the bait that would feel unnatural to the fish. Plus the bait will not fling off the hook as sometimes happens when a fish goes crazy and shakes its head a lot. The tubing keep the bait on the line very well. It doesn’t hurt the hookup percentages either, as the hook point is tex-posed like most everyone rigs it. The baits will still tear up back where the hook point goes through, but it improves bait life by at least 50%.
Old 12-21-11, 05:14 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Both great ideas. I'm gonna try it on other baits too if applicable.
Old 12-21-11, 08:26 PM   #3
SaminVa
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use the same idea utilizing heat shrink tubing in the place of surgical tubing... it's very durable... but I've only found it in black. great post!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.