Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-27-12, 01:03 AM   #1
junyaah
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Loading a boat

Today after an unsuccessful day on Cherokee Lake trying to fish some humps, I get back to the ramp and no one is around so I figgure it would be a good time to practice loading since im no good at it. Well there are a couple people fishing from the bank watching me. I couldnt get that dang boat lined up with the trailer. It kept drifting and when i bout had it, it totally turned side ways on me. And when i tried to back it up and try again, the boat just did a donut. So i just get it close to the trailer, take my shoes off, hop in the water and use my rope, like the rookie i am, to load it up. I know those two watching me was thinking a man with a nice boat like that cant even drive it. Plumb embarrassing.
junyaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 06:58 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

This will help.http://youtu.be/pvt9HCYiN8s
Old 08-27-12, 08:45 AM   #3
lilmule

Keep it in gear going forward take it out of gear just prior to hitting trailer and dont over steer,once on place in gear and run rest of the way up,fenders sticking up either side do help s in a cross wind can blow over at rear and be over tires.Can get them off ebay or any boat dealership place they do help,in that video that guy has them as well as that gadget.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 12:38 PM   #4
bassboogieman

You didn't say what kind of boat - some are easier than others. Alum tends not to track as well as a 'glass boat. Wind & current can also affect lighter craft or those with high freeboard.

Some things that will help: side bunks, will help guide and hold the boat on the trailer. When loading, back the trailer in and get the bunks (carpet) wet, then pull forward until about a foot of the bunks are out of the water. With the boat in gear you can idle right on the trailer and put it in neutral just before hitting the bunks. The exposed bunks should stop you before you hit the roller and hold the front of the boat when you run up on them. You can either power up on the bunks or get out and winch it up on the roller. When loading, it you can trim your outboard, trim it down mindfull of your depth at the ramp. A propeller will bite better when it's down, allowing better control of the boat in steering. I see a lot of guys trying to load with the motor trimmed up, fearful of bottoming out, and steering is decreased significantly with the motor trimmed up at slow speed. Finally - nothing will get you proficient at loading your boat than PRACTICE. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by bassboogieman; 08-27-12 at 12:43 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 12:47 PM   #5
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You'll get better. Believe me, we were all new boat owners at one time. Practice makes perfect. If some bank ranger laughs at you, ask them where their boat is.
Old 08-27-12, 04:01 PM   #6
junyaah
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a 2012 Nitro Z6, love the boat. From what I have read, I think I had my trailer to deep. But I was told to get it deep. I had the fenders about an inch out of the water. Ima try it not so deep next time. I am also thinking about getting some side bunks. Make it alot easier I think. Was that a loading aide type thing. haha Just what I need.
junyaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 04:41 PM   #7
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sounds to me you were loading your trailer, not your boat.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 05:37 PM   #8
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by junyaah View Post
I have a 2012 Nitro Z6, love the boat. From what I have read, I think I had my trailer to deep. But I was told to get it deep. I had the fenders about an inch out of the water. Ima try it not so deep next time. I am also thinking about getting some side bunks. Make it alot easier I think. Was that a loading aide type thing. haha Just what I need.
I wouldn't go much shallower than a few more inches. If you do, your boat's hull could possible damage the coverings on your trailer bunks.

When I'm backing my trailer into the water, I like to see the tops of my trailer fender barely above water.

-Mark

Last edited by woody; 08-27-12 at 05:48 PM. Reason: additional info.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 07:29 PM   #9
lilmule

I place mine about 3/4 way up on trailer tires drive it on,take out of gear coast on bunks then place back in gear and give it some gas,if your to high boat will drift over,also trailer guides do help.They are a roller bunk thats higher than trailer to help guide on.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 12:21 PM   #10
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It is about where the bunks are in the water not the fenders. I do like that autoloader that is pretty damn cool. If you have room pull the trailer to one side or the other so that your not loading in the middle.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 01:08 PM   #11
MississippiBoy

Practice is the best cure. Try the trailer deeper and shallower until you find the "sweet spot," where it's deep enough to allow you to get the bow all the way to the roller, but shallow enough that the boat will line up straight on the bunks by itself. You don't want the front of the boat bumping the roller while the back is still loose and blowing in the breeze, but you also don't want to be stuck on the bunks 10 feet from the roller, either. Once you find that sweet spot, look to see where the waterline is....say a foot of the bunks showing, 6 inches of fender, the tread on the tires just barely underwater.....whatever mark is easiest to see from the truck, make a note of it, and replicate that depth whenever you load.
Idle up to the trailer, with the motor barely in gear. Don't forget to take wind/current into consideration....angle a bit into it, if you need to. Then just as or immediately before the boat bumps the bunks, take it out of gear. Let it settle straight, then either bump the throttle or get out and winch up to the roller.
Good luck, and don't feel embarrassed....everybody has to learn somehow. Just practice by yourself until you're confident before you go to a busy ramp and people are waiting for you. Of course, someone there may offer to help you if they see you need it.
Old 08-28-12, 09:04 PM   #12
WTL

I know Ive gotten in the water 10s of times. I think most of us have. Hell, once I drove off the back end of the ramp, so the trailer wheels were hanging off the edge, and I had to dive down and pick it up while my dad floored the gas.

One thing that also complicates loading a boat - wind, and cross currents. There are some ramps you just arent going to load a boat straight on, short of having a perfectly designed trailer.
Old 08-29-12, 01:10 AM   #13
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am practicing myself. I think every trailer and boat has its own sweet spot like Daniel said though. My fenders are usually halfway under water. I have went to deep and ended up scuffing my fender. I would rather have it a little high than low for me. I am usually by myself. I can always at least get it hooked up and back up a foot or 2 and finish it up. I like the idea of wetting the bunks too, thanks. I find it easier to load my boat with the live wells full too.
Old 08-29-12, 12:32 PM   #14
Bender

In Michigan is it illegal to power load, which is blasting your boat up onto the trailer with the motor. I never do this but I have (knock on wood) never have had to get in the water to get my boat on the trailer. I back my trailer in as described above, with about 8-10" of the bunk boards out of the water. This also depends a little on how steep the ramp is, if it's not steep I go in more. Then I back the boat off quite a ways and get a good run at the trailer, a bit above idle. I suggest starting slow and see how this feels, then speed up after you get used to it. The boat should slide right up onto the trailer and then I winch it the last 6-10" or so.
It does get tricky on electric only lakes and I do this with the trolling motor on high then pull it up at the very last instant or else you'll have a big mess.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 01:22 PM   #15
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I do this with the trolling motor on high then pull it up at the very last instant or else you'll have a big mess.
Big Mess
Old 09-02-12, 10:38 PM   #16
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Big Mess
Im just gonna say it, Im not positive if there was a sexual reference in that post, but either way, well done.
Old 09-07-12, 10:00 PM   #17
Abbeysdad

I guess I'm a wimp. I've only power loaded on a shore load from a lake with no launch.
From a launch, I dock, tie off, get the rig, change into ocean shoes and back in so the trailer fenders are just above water and about a foot of bunk is still showing above water. I untie the boat and guide her on the bunk. I step in and reel out enough winch strap to hook on and winch her up the rest of the way, hook on the safety cable and out she comes.
Old 09-09-12, 04:58 PM   #18
Rebbasser

It just takes practice. I have a Nitro, too and learned that having the top of the carpet on the wheel well showing is the "sweet spot" that was mentioned earlier.

When loading I have found if you can point the trailer directly into the wind where possible really helps. Crosswinds can be a real pain, and here in Texas the wind is blowing 99% of the time.

Like I and the other guys said, it just takes practice. Like anything else, the more times you launch/load the easier it gets and the better you get at it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.