Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-11, 12:23 PM   #1
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default 91 Champion livewell problem

I can't get my livewells to open and close. I've been filling my livewells with a bucket to get around fixing the livewell pumps for now. When I turn the knob to open it still won't drain the water. I was thinking something must be blocking the water from draining, but I used a wire hanger to clear the pipe and found nothing. I went behind the boat and came in from a different direction and was able to push on something that allowed the water to drain slowly. When I turn the know from open to closed I feel no restriction so thats why I'm thinking they wont open or close. I have no idea where to start trying to fix this problem, but I would like to try to fix them myself because I'm pretty sure I'm going to be selling the boat in the next few months.
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 12:48 PM   #2
Top Tiger

If the live well drains are cable actuated, you might check the cables themselves. Perhaps the cables are rusted through and broken. Might be worth a look.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 05:11 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ditto to that tiger.
Old 10-04-11, 05:47 PM   #4
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

one word mud doppers. you said you where able to push something and it drain slow. go to lowes get you a electricans fish tape... open your valves and start from the live well slowly push the tape till it comes to livewell pump. oh make sure you taks hose off pump/ the do same from back off boat. do both drain and fill hoses.
Old 10-04-11, 06:36 PM   #5
b.a.s.17

if the cable is rusted through where would be a good place to find a replacement?
Old 10-04-11, 08:16 PM   #6
lilmule

Untrustworthy when old make sure its open then buy plugs.
Willing to bet it isnt easy to replace,even with new cable
Dunno never tried when plugs are 2 bucks.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 10:01 AM   #7
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

Usually can pick up cables at your local boat shop. pretty inexpensive.

Could be a blockage. Try tips as suggested and also use a garden hose with high pressure to force water from the exit point at the back of the transom to see if its trash and/or muddy water coming back out which will tell you what the blockage is. Not exactly sure how yours is set up but in mine there is a valve body which could be stopped up. You can also try the liquid drano just like you use in your home plumbing from the livewell out to clear out the obstruction, if its not a cable issue.
Old 10-05-11, 11:51 AM   #8
b.a.s.17

When I turn the knob I don't feel any restriction so that's what makes me think it's a cable issue. I tried looking for the cable yesterday and couldn't find it. Any suggestions on where to look?
Old 10-05-11, 01:47 PM   #9
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

Cable runs from the actuator to the valve. Mine I lift the rear hatch lid where the batteries are located and there is a plastic tray laying flat right in front of the bank charger. (mine isn't a Champion so you may have a different layout) I take 2 screws out and lift it out of the way and the pumps & valve is directly under it. Either way they are normally located in the same area as your bilge pumps. If you turn the switch and feel absolutely no resistance it may be the cable. Once you find the valve you will be able to tell if its working or not when you move the button/arm that actuates it.

You can see where the cable comes thru and connects.

Also look thru the images at the LONG link below. May give you some ideas about your Champion.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=SVC&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&q=champion+boats+livewell+valve+pic&gs _sm=e&gs_upl=22983l26873l0l27183l11l9l0l0l0l3l287l 1774l0.4.5l9l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb& biw=1067&bih=450&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Last edited by Handlebars; 10-05-11 at 02:30 PM.
Handlebars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 02:42 PM   #10
doc

I have a 96 champion 181. I don't know the answer to your question but, I know where you can find out http://www.bbcboards.net/zeroforum?id=37 Champion Forums on BBC, also there is a thread pinned to the top that has a ton of links to parts for the older champs, everything from decals, "livewell systems", wiring diagrams, gauges, jack plates, and pretty much everything there is to need on the older champs. http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=89257 My 96 has the flow rite livewell pumps, I'm assuming yours does to.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.