Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-20-08, 09:45 PM   #76
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'm not saying ya don't know how ot fillet fish, but I've never seen bones in the tail unless you chop the whole tail off with the fillet. Anyways... what size bass you keep to eat? the 12-15" ones are the best eating, and you really want to throw anything bigger than that back to reproduce.

BB
Old 05-20-08, 10:18 PM   #77
bamabassman

not here bb can't anything unless it is 15" or longer. so we gotta catch some "good ones", hahahaha.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 10:32 PM   #78
WTL

15"? How the hell are we gonna find them? Haha

I wish there was a way to scare up a few jack salmon. Bama, have you heard of anyone ever finding out how to pattern sauger this time of year?
Old 05-20-08, 10:35 PM   #79
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

One pattern I always find in sauger/walleye is a greenish-brown color with marble-ish eyes. At least up here anyway...

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 11:04 PM   #80
MississippiBoy

Well, I've got a fillet knife, but I suck at cleaning fish. It's been way too long. I've never caught or eaten sauger before, but apparently it's pretty good.
How's the crappie fishing at Guntersville? I've got a little Zebco 22 and some bright-a$$ pink jigs that should catch a mess of them, if they're there.

On another hand, I got the trolling motor footswitch replaced this afternoon, gonna work on the big motor this weekend, see if she'll fire up. Then grease the bearings, check tire pressure, check the lights, clean 'er up a little bit...we'll be good to go.

Oh, and John, I've mentioned before that I have a small card table that will seat just 4 people, and the chairs for it, too. You want me to bring it, or were you looking for something bigger?
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 06:53 AM   #81
BigBassin144

I'm no good at filleting, but my dad is. he normally fillets and I skin 'em. I'm sure it'll all work out good if we all pitch in and do what we can. 15" minimum size. I believe ours is 12" up here, and those truly are the best eating. I've never had sauger, but since they're close to walleye, I'm sure they're good. we've got them and Saugeye in some of the lakes south of me, but we never fish those.

BB
Old 05-21-08, 06:58 AM   #82
BigBassin144

well, I was wrong. Like most fish in ohio, there is no minimum size. (this is for inland lakes and such, not Erie.) I guess we learn sometihng new every day.

BB
Old 05-21-08, 10:37 AM   #83
WTL

Bassin, I doubt anyone catches a Sauger - they are known to disappear sometime in march or so around here - they scatter. I sure wish I knew how to catch them this time of year, they are the best eating fish alive short of atlantic salmon.

I doubt we are going to have much a problem between all of us when it comes to:

A. Getting a few 15" bass to measure
B. Finding someone to filet them - I can do it if I have to
C. Finding dinner otherwise
D. Finding time to talk
E. Taking enough pictures

And so on. Just show up with tackle and we should be in for a good time.
Old 05-21-08, 09:54 PM   #84
bamabassman

ok...to answer a few of ya'll's questions here. wtl, i have never fished for sauger...sorry, and i don't know anything about them. i'll ask my neighbor about it though. mississippiboy, YES!!, bring the table and chairs. we'll need them badly. crappie fishing is getting real slow they tell me. some are still found near the bridges... AT NIGHT. minnows are the baits of choice there. and as for the cleaning and fileting.... i can filet any fish as long as it is large enough, lol. and i can filet it to where all you have to do is cut out the rib cage. so... no skinning required. just hpe we catch enough fish, lol. we should if the warm front and winds staythe way they should. oh.... and mississippiboy. you may not need to bring your boat. go ahead and get it going. you'll want to use it there anyway, right? there is your ecuse to your lovely wife though. "honey we need it at the get together". then if we don't need it, you'll be ready when you get back home, right? pretty smart huh? JUST 2 MORE WEEKS GANG!!!! 3 WEEKENDS AWAY!!!! WE NEED TO KNOW FOR SURE WHO IS COMING AND WHO ISN'T. OK? JUST BRING YOUR ON DRINKS GANG. AND $10.00 A HEAD, FAIR? OH AND WHERE EVER YOU'LL BE SLEEPING, LMAO. I WILL NEED TO KNOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE WHO HAS TO BACK OUT. of course if there is an ergent matter i and the rest of us will understand. thanks gang, it is gonna be great to see everyone. oh... i will have room in my boat for 1 or 2 (if needed). any takers? hahaha, don't everyone jump in at once (scarcastic). i know that i ain't the greatest fisherman there is, but at least i try. hahahahaha.
Old 05-22-08, 04:18 PM   #85
BigBassin144

My dad and I are both gonna need to be in boats, and I know it ma be difficult, but we'd prefer to be in the same boat. otherwise, we'll have to divide up our tackle. at least if one of us doesn't catch anytihng, we'll have an excuse.

BB
Old 05-22-08, 04:21 PM   #86
WTL

I will only maybe have room for 1 in my boat. There are places you can rent a boat on the lake if you have to be in the same boat.
Old 05-22-08, 04:32 PM   #87
BigBassin144

maybe we can go with John, even tohugh he says he's not that good we'll still have abetter chance down there at breaking our personals bests than we do up here almost anywhere, no matter who we're fishing with.

BB
Old 05-22-08, 04:36 PM   #88
WTL

Well me and John have already talked a bit and it seems we are going to probably hit the same part of the lake at some point, apparently our go-to areas are pretty close - so maybe one in one boat and one in the other yall would still be in yelling distance of each other.
Old 05-22-08, 05:24 PM   #89
bamabassman

bb, the 2 of you can fish with me pal. my boat is a 20 footer with 3 seats. and thanks wtl. that is very kind of you to offer them a place too. bb, wtl is right about where i want to go. i will fish right next to the camp site till about 8:00am or so, then head up river to jones cove, bb comer bridge. alot of what they call gator vines there. you guys need to go and get some zoom lizards in punkinseed, with a chartuse tail. let the tails fade a bit too, ok? and also use a black or dark blue 6" worm. and then there is the white spinner bait, willow and colorado blades are fine (either or both). i use a white spinner with a "bleeding skirt", and 2 willow leaf blades. or a blue/red mix spinner as well. and in the open waters, a flat A, and i forget the name....but it is white with a purple back and yellow belly. i got 2 so i will share. and i have a bunch of orange, crawdad rattle traps, hahahaha. so it is settled, bb and his dad is going with me. you 2 can teach me something i bet. hahahaha. i ain't too proud, lol.i am going by what my neighbor has taught me. oh, the zoom lizard... use a 4/0 hook and 1/8 ounce weight. or 1/16 ounce. carolina rigged. we'll get way into the vines and fish the pockets. that is where they will be buddy. now does anyone else have a table? we need at least 1 more. and i have 5 chairs, msboy has 4 we'll need a fw more i think. any chair will do. packing up the trailer, got the boats back today (both). so we are almost wet gang. i am going to take off friday (if da dam boss will let me). so i should be there thursday night to get an early start on setting things up. time is here gang. lets have fun and learn from one another and catch, eat, laugh and most important of all.....HAVE SOME FUN!!!!!!!! thanks ahead of time to each and every one of you, this is one of the biggest highlights of my life so far. so thanks gang. gonna go check other posts before the dang ol pollen gets in me eyes. hahahahahaha
Old 05-22-08, 05:36 PM   #90
MississippiBoy

Ya big softie...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 06:06 PM   #91
bamabassman

yea i guess so msboy. hey how do ya'll like the new avetar? hehehehe, thanks jb. you are the man. take that msboy!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Old 05-22-08, 08:19 PM   #92
BigBassin144

bama, I really like the new avatar. with all the stuff you mentioned, I see a trip to gander mtn or cabelas in the near future. I'm sure the baitmonkey is there picked out a good ambush spot for me right now.

BB
Old 05-22-08, 08:53 PM   #93
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Bait Monkey just jumped me for $70 at Tackle Warehouse...

The new Gamma Fluorocarbon, Picasso Shake-E-Football's, River2Sea Drop-Shot Weights, Picasso Pro Metal 'Luke Clausen' Worm Weights, and Daiwa TD Cranks sure add up. Especially those $13.00 'on-sale', , cranks. I sure hope I don't loose 'em, 'specially to Mudson Musky, right, 144!?!?

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 09:21 PM   #94
bcklash

Hey bama, me and the bandit can't make it and we are . Can't get the vacation days. SORRY it would be so much fun, but no we have to work. Everytime you catch a bigmouth think about the bandit.
Old 05-23-08, 09:33 PM   #95
WTL

It would be awesome if the campground had wireless, but I wont hold my breath. I just got a new laptop in the mail today though.
Old 05-23-08, 10:11 PM   #96
bamabassman

sorry you can't make it bandit and bcklsh. we will think of you guys for real. go make the hunnies some money ok? next time you have it at lay lake or somewhere. wtl, wireless? i don't understand. they have cable tv. gonna hook up the travel trailer to it. and i don't know about wireless.
Old 05-23-08, 10:12 PM   #97
bamabassman

wtl. no comment about the new avetar? come on bama fan, hahahaha.
Old 05-24-08, 05:04 AM   #98
WTL

Wireless internet. I wouldnt expect them to have it, but its one of those things you never really know about. They are putting it on the quad down here.

I dislike your new avatar. He used the bockwrath/dubose angry elephant logo. Should have used old school elephant though the A or the circle A logo instead. The school spent 100k$ on a firm to produce that damned logo in the mid 90s and it is a disaster. Not to mention that is associated in my mind with Mike Dubose's coaching tenure.
Old 05-24-08, 10:09 AM   #99
kingfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey, I was thinking about bringing my ultralight for pan fish. You think we'll have time to fish for them. I guess it depends on whether or not we are catching bass. I think the baitmonkey finally got to me. I've got a list of things we've got to get before the trip.

kingfish
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 10:12 AM   #100
kingfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh one more thing I forgot. Since most of you guys libe near there, I'm assunming you all have fishing liscences. Is there somewhere close by that we could one, and how much is it for a non-resident. Also, what age do you have to be to need one?

kingfish
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.