Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-06, 02:52 AM   #1
vagabond
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Spro Bronze-eye

As I'm trying to learn more about bass fishing, I keep fishing new ponds and small lakes that are close by. Anyway, today I found this disgusting little pond about 5 acres with 3/4 of it covered in leaves. Not lilly pads but I'm not sure what they are.

I almost don't want to bother fishing it but then I see and hear splashes in the leaves so I go back to the truck and get a Bronze eye and tie it on. Second cast into the junk on top and the frog gets CRUSHED hard....but I don't hook up. Four more times I get hit but no hook ups.

I scoured this forum and read that it helps to bend the hooks up a little. I'll try that.

Is there any other tips? Do you let them take it before trying to set the hook like with plastics? If they miss, are they triggered to come back by anything...twitching, hopping, motionless...?

Also, initally I was getting bites but after a short time they pretty much stopped. I thought it was maybe becasue I was getting anxious and retreiving quicker than I first was. I tried slowing down, speeding up, hopping it...it just stopped completely. Is there a certain technique that is better than the others?

Aaron
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 03:43 AM   #2
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

As is often the case with other topwater lures, we have a tendency to react too quickly to a frog strike. The lure is literally yanked out of the fish's mouth before he has completely engulfed the lure.
Instead of "setting" the hook on the initial strike, simply reel down rapidly and then, when you feel resistance, sock it to him. If you hesitate for too long an interval the bass may eject the lure...practical experience is the answer.
If the fish strikes just as you are moving the lure, stop for a few seconds (maybe a count of three) and then begin your retrieve again. By not trying to set the hooks into air, you're leaving the lure in the bass's "zone". He/she may be reluctant to pursue far beyond cover, you see.

Others here will offer additional tips, I'm sure. Read them all, visualize as you study them, and apply them as you see fit.

F.Rod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 09:15 AM   #3
BigHE
BassFishin.Com Member

When they miss stop reeling and squeeze your rod hand over and over. That will move the frog less than a twitch, but just enough to make the legs "dance." I normally get a second shot doing that.
BigHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 09:37 AM   #4
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Let him swallow and run and then give it a hard jerk...but also if u are able to put ur frog ontop of the lilly pads do so and then let it droped off slowly the fish love it !
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-06, 01:39 AM   #5
vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHE
When they miss stop reeling and squeeze your rod hand over and over. That will move the frog less than a twitch, but just enough to make the legs "dance." I normally get a second shot doing that.
I tried this today and it worked great. Three came back a second time when I did this.

I still think I'm fishing the frog wrong. I'm not sure how to retrieve it. I try pulling it over the junk continiously and I try to hop it on and through the junk also. Neither seem to get me many strikes. Maybe my line is scaring the fish before the frog gets to them?

Probably 95% of the fish that hit the frog do it with in 2-3 feet of where it landed when I made my cast. So to me it's saying that I have a horrible retrieve.

Any tips on how to bring the frog in?
Old 07-27-06, 07:53 AM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I doubt that your line is any problem esecially in the heavy cover you described. I always use 20 pound line in heaviest cover like pads, and I know others who suggest much heavier. I work my frogs a couple different ways depending on the situation and the frog. With the Spro I have, I tend to slowly twitch and crawl it through the slop. Also I include many pauses durring the retrieve. You'll be surprised at the number of hits you'll get while the frog is sitting still after a twitch twitch twich and then a pause. It's almost as though the bass thinks it's been spotted and has to nail it before it escapes. In more open water, try using the "walk the dog" retrieve. That works well for me as well. And I suggest once you get a hit, real in your line and don't set the hook untill you feel the weight of the bass against you. Then set it hard!

Another thing I want to add is this. Perhaps your tackle is insufficient. I use a 7 foot graphite med heavy to heavy rod and casting reel. The long stout rod gives you both the leaverage and power to set the hook. Good luck. Ughhhhh....time to head to work. I wanna go fishin too
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-06, 08:54 AM   #7
Snake2715

I figured I would ask this question.

You are not using a swivel to attach the frog to the line are you?

Last edited by Snake2715; 07-27-06 at 03:23 PM.
Snake2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-06, 03:17 PM   #8
BigHE
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog
I work my frogs a couple different ways depending on the situation and the frog. With the Spro I have, I tend to slowly twitch and crawl it through the slop. Also I include many pauses during the retrieve...try using the "walk the dog" retrieve...don't set the hook untill you feel the weight of the bass against you...use a 7 foot graphite med heavy to heavy rod and casting reel. The long stout rod gives you both the leaverage and power to set the hook.
That's it in a nutshell!!! I'm glad the other tip worked for you. It works for me alot. My main retrieves are walking the dog and slow swimming with many pauses. If those don't work, then I go to twitching. Swim it right on top of the slop or pads or whatever and when it comes to that opening, hang on. I 've had them hit while its on the pads as well, of course I don't hook up. That's when I put the "dance" on em . FISH ON!!! Walking the dog produces the most (for me) on the back side of pads, in wood between pads and bank. Good luck.
Old 07-27-06, 05:50 PM   #9
Buzzking
BassFishin.Com Member

I really like to use the heavy braid for froggen. The zero strech factor really helps with the amount of hookups you can get because you can feel the fish alot sooner than with mono or floro, and you can drive the hook in alot eaiser too, and it helps with the twitchin part. It also cuts through the vegitation to help get that fish out of the thickest stuff. I used mono for the longest time but once I tried the 50#-65# braid, thats the only way I like to fish a frog now. But thats also the only time I use braid. Mono for everything else.
Buzzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-06, 07:24 PM   #10
BigHE
BassFishin.Com Member

I was using 30# braid with no problems. Then I was talking to alot of people who were suggesting 65# braid. Dean Rojas suggests 65# too. I trie the 65 yesterday and I don't like it. I prefer 30. Its way smoother when switching from casting to flipping and pitching.
Old 07-27-06, 08:15 PM   #11
zooker

here is why ya aint catching with them the brozen eye frog has no real action just 2 basicly long jig skirts for legs.. i think for a finesse presention these are fine ya might want to switch to somthing with a more aggressive leg action-horny toad,scum frog,popin frog.. the thing i belive is that the bass sense pressure if you into them heavy with a bronze eye frog they get used to the same bait hence are bait shy.. something differant of the same breed of bait usaly works.. also note weather in your area in the last week this helps find the front..

zooker
Old 07-27-06, 08:46 PM   #12
Buzzking
BassFishin.Com Member

I use at leased 50# braid because I'v popped the 30# on hooksets.
But your right the 30# does cast easier.

PHIL G.
Buzzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-06, 11:30 PM   #13
vagabond

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm not using a swivel, should I? I think I'm geared up all ok. I read around and got a pole I could use for frogs and Doug Hannon's Fishing Snake.

It's a Rogue 7'6" MH Baitcast rod. I've never used a bait cast reel so I didn't want to spend a lot becasue I wasn't sure if I'd like them (heard so many horror stories) so I went with a Pflueger President. I feel like I'm doing pretty good with it. I almost thought it was impossible for me to backlash it so I did it on purpose to see what it was like. I just casted out and didn't use any thumb. I'm not doing that any more.

I'm brand new to bass fishing. Actually, I haven't even got my bass boat yet but it should be here any day. I've only flyfished and have never "walked the dog". I'm sure there are tons of articles on how to, so I'll read up on those.

Thanks for the help guys.

Aaron
Old 07-28-06, 12:04 AM   #14
ToPwAt'R GuY

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
here is why ya aint catching with them the brozen eye frog has no real action just 2 basicly long jig skirts for legs.. i think for a finesse presention these are fine ya might want to switch to somthing with a more aggressive leg action-horny toad,scum frog,popin frog.. the thing i belive is that the bass sense pressure if you into them heavy with a bronze eye frog they get used to the same bait hence are bait shy.. something differant of the same breed of bait usaly works.. also note weather in your area in the last week this helps find the front..

zooker
Zooker has got it right. Another plus with scum frogs and horny toads is you get better hooksets.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-06, 12:59 PM   #15
bassking22

I ahve a pack of horny toads, but don't know the best way to rig them, and is white a good color?
Old 07-28-06, 06:54 PM   #16
zooker

actully the only color i have had varying results with is white.. i prefure watermelon/red flake or green pumkin..they all work the white don't seem as good for me..

the tick i learn this spring is FORGET the 5/0 hooks. use 4/0 ewg hooks. basic weightless t-rig. once the hook is down and turned put your finger on the hiddin eye. bend the frog in 1/2 put the hook thru the legs and release. then just stick the hook point just inside the top/back of the frog between the ridges. the hook bend will be fairly tight against the-for the lack of a better word- crotch..

zooker
Old 07-28-06, 07:03 PM   #17
BigHE
BassFishin.Com Member

Zooker, how heavy of a weight is normal for those. Someone gave me about 4-5 of them in different colors. I have yet to get them wet though. Do you normally stick to heavier weight like the Spros and Reaction Innovations lures, say 1/2oz to 3/4oz?
Old 07-28-06, 09:47 PM   #18
bassking22

Thanks zook, I appreciate the help.
bassking22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.