Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-19-08, 08:49 AM   #26
Cranebird
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa. BoThomas you definately fit right in with the usual crowd we have here. Yes let me type a 6,000 word post and I promise I will try not to use the profanity I have been lately.Sorry for if I infact did offend someone .Instant message me and I will apologize personally if you would like. C-Bird
Old 03-21-08, 06:03 AM   #27
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well I see that I have been missing some interesting conversations. So here I go with my .02 on the ratio of reels etc etc... Being that I am a journeyman millwright and it is my job to know things like being able to change the final drive ratio of any piece of equipment I walk up on I have to say that Cranebird is in fact correct when he posted his post about all the things necessary to determine line recovery rate and or speed. The spool height,width,line diameter and gearing all comes into play when determing final drive erate. For exampl say I am using a 10inch v belt pulley on the drive end and a 18inch v belt pully on the driven end to change up the final drive I dont have to change out the gearing in the motor if I want to slow it down or speed it up. In fact If I wanna slow it down a couple of rpms I go to a thinner v belt and if I wanna speed it up go thicker.
Old 03-21-08, 06:25 AM   #28
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

the whole key to cranking with a high speed reel is to use the rod to move the bait and take in the line slack with the reel like worm fishing.this way you can fish it fast or slow without getting tired and your reel is fast enough to keep up with a charging fish.
Old 03-21-08, 06:48 AM   #29
Cranebird

Laser, It is difficult to determine anything from my posts since I went way overboard on this thread. I am one week away from being able to go back to work.I never thought I would say it but I really miss being able to work. C-Bird Tethered.
Old 03-23-08, 02:27 PM   #30
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranebird View Post
3D, you move to the front of the class.

C-Bird Feathers ruffled.
You mean I gave out a good piece of advice....again? I'll have to stop doing that, I may get a reputation .
Old 03-23-08, 03:24 PM   #31
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
I was thinking Zooker might be right for a change so I am deciding to open this back up for further review since no one is posting on it anyways.

Lets say the maximum spool height of line on a reel is 1 1/8 " tall when measuring it spooled up.For this particular reel the gear ratio is 6.2:1 since people like to use gear ratios in their threads.

I use pi system to know how many inches is in that 1 1/8 "diameter. 3.14x 1.25 = 3.925"

Lets say the spool width is wide enough to sustain the required amount of line to do a gear ratio test.

I know the reels gear ratio is 6.2:1 but I do not know the line diameter at this time so we will run with the pi system formula for now.

3.925 x 6.2 = 24.335" of line. The 6.2 is 6.2 revoulutions per 1 complete turn of the handle or 6.2:1 gear ratio.

Now we know this we can formulate the rest of the gear ratios to determine how much the gear ratios effect the reel speed if we were able to change out the gears in this particular reel.

7:1 gear ratio = 27.475"
6.3:1 gear ratio = 24.335"
5.8:1 gear ratio = 22.765"
5.4:1 gear ratio = 21.195"
5.3:1 gear ratio = 20.802"
5:1 gear ratio = 19.625"
4.7 gear ratio = 18.447"
4:1 gear ratio = 17.270"

As you can see the gear ratio does in fact change the line recovery rate using this pi formula. We gained 10.205" of more line at a 7:1 gear ratio from a 4.4:1 gear ratio.

So is it safe to say the higher gear ratios will always be alot faster than a slower gear ratio when chosing a new reel ?

The answer is no. as mentioned before gear ratio is part of the 4 things that regulate the line recovery speed.

1. gear ratio
2. spool height
3. spool width
4. line diameter

Not all spool designs are the same therefore you cannot judge the speed by the gear ratio alone.

1. gear ratio - determines how many revolutions per turn of the handle.
2. spool height- a part of what determines at what rate the line speed is acheived at its maximum speed.
3.spool width-helps determine the sustained speed of the line recovery, the wider the spool the more wraps of line at that rate of speed.
4. line diameter- determines what rate of retreive by changin the height as the rate of line on the spool changes.

* you need to use the line recovery provided in the bass pro catalog to choose a special purpose rate of speed lure presentation. The thing they don't tell you is the line diameter being used in the results. Line diameter has an effect on the speed recovery as well but look at the line recovery they publish in their ads to get an idea of the many different spool designs being used.It just might be of more help to you when trying to choose a special purpose reel. C-Bird.
yawn hate to p in your fruit loops c looney bird..
but i tried it today i was right..starting with a full reel with the bait 6 feet from the rod tip on a full 21" line retrived per 1 turn of the reel -a fritts 4.7:1 gearing-. yep i get 20 1/2". now on a decent 60 yard cast-it was a dt-10- measured across the lawn. at the rate of 1 full handle turn i got in a measured 14 7/8". rate of retrive is flexable and really means nothing.. don't belive me ? try it for your self....

zooker
Old 03-24-08, 07:45 AM   #32
Cranebird

Zooker, You are and you aren't right .I am with you right up util you say it means nothing.

The line recovery rate means everything. I know it varies in speed with the amount of line out but if you have a tall spool like an old Abu 4600 C-4 that will pull a 31" line retreive at its fullest spool point might not be the ideal cranking reel when you can buy your Fritts reel that will be a bit slower and more comfortable to use with crankbaits.You want it slower yet put a shorter handle on the reel, but they are very uncomfortable to use.I have an old lews handle that is about an inch shorter than the standard length and then I have an old Abu sprint reel handle that is about 3/4" of an inch longer than your standard handle.Both are very awkward to use but they will change your speed as well. A reel that you can cast better than another brand will change your line speed rate as you mentioned the more line you have out the slower the line speed recovery rate. All I am saying is do not strictly go by the gear ratio alone. C- Bird still kicking dead horse..........Dead horse still dead.
Old 03-24-08, 07:59 AM   #33
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

C-Bird, where did you get the pi system things you used to find the gear ratio? and 1-1/8" is 1.125, so your answer for that would be 3.5325.

Anyways, my advice would be go with a 5.2:1 (or close for deeper cranks so you don't wear yourself out, and 6.3:1 for smaller cranks cause it is easier to crank slower with a fast reel than crank fast with a slow reel.

BB
Old 03-24-08, 10:30 AM   #34
Bob Smith

Frankly speaking, this topic has been pounded to death! lol
I guess if everyone turned the handle on exactly the same reel, from exactly the same distanced cast, with the exact same line (diameter and brand/batch), with the exact same bait, then it might mean something. There are more reels, rods, lines (and nobody spools the same amount of line on a reel). The bottom line is to use whatever rod/reel/line that fits your retrieve style when using a particular bait type the best. If it catches fish keep doing it , if it don't then change!
Old 03-24-08, 11:31 AM   #35
Cranebird

Quote:
C- Bird still kicking dead horse..........Dead horse still dead.
Bob, I hear you.It the Phoenix bird thread,Zooker keeps rising it from its ashes and of course I don't mind.

Big bassin It is a formula I use in sheetmetal fabrication to know how much material I need to make a round diameter radius object. Like a can, pipe anything round as long as you know the outside diameter.

Say you want to dupicate a round cylinder type such as a pipe or a can. In order to do this you have to know its outside diameter or you can measure its distance across from the two farthest distances to get the outside diameter. Then you multiply that distance by 3.14 (pi formula) to know how much material you need in the flat to roll it to make your round cylinder and it will come out to that desired outside diameter.

Lets say you wanted to make a 6 " diameter round tube. You multiply 6 x 3.14 = 18.840. You need 18.840 " of material in the flat to roll up a 6" circle tube.

Let me know If I lost you ?

You can use that to determine how much the line measures lying flat from being rolled off your spool by knowing the diameter of your spool of line and multiplying it by 3.14.

Say you measured the distance of your spool of line from side to side and it measured 1 1/2" wide.

You convert it as 1.500 x 3.14 = 4.710 The 4.710 is the exact number of inches of line it took to make one round turn on your spool at that height.

Now lets say your gear ratio is 5:1. It means your spool makes 5 revolutions for every complete turn of the handle and you figured out your spool diameter so you can tell how much line you pull in one turn of the handle by multiplying 4.710 x 5 = 23.550. So now you know one complete turn of your handle retreives basically 23 1/2 " of line.

The moreline you cast out the smaller the spool diameter and therefore the slower the retreive rate.

I hope you understand it because I am going to stop kicking this dead horse.Let Zooker explain it to you.He is right on that part of it.

You can determine the diameter by back figuring the same formula. Zooker said his 4.7:1 ratio pulled 21 " so 21 divided by 4.7 = 4.516. 4.156 divided by 3.14 = 1.438" That tells me zookers spool diameter is 1 7/16" inch wide when measured.

Hey its been fun but not real fun Next time lets open a political debate so I can sit back and read for I know nothing about them. C-Birds of a feather flock together.
Old 03-24-08, 06:58 PM   #36
zooker

yep ivan is right 1 7/16 of an inch.. but ivan check the spool size on a tall heeled abu c-4 4600

i just love kickin the crap out of dis dead hoss...

zooker
Old 03-24-08, 07:21 PM   #37
Cranebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
yep ivan is right 1 7/16 of an inch.. but ivan check the spool size on a tall heeled abu c-4 4600

i just love kickin the crap out of dis dead hoss...

zooker
There you go .Tell me how that 4600 C4 winch works with a tall spool size ? The only one more disapointing was the 5600 antibacklash reel I bought.That flapper thingy eliminated any long casting distances and I couldn't get the hang of pitchin short distances with it either...........

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.