Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 11-16-09, 01:34 AM   #1
ShoreBassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Old Hickory, J Percy Priest Lake, near Nashville

Hello all...

I am from the Minneapolis, MN area and will be driving down to Goodlettsville, TN, near Nashville, TN for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. One of my questions is, would a weekend fishing license be worth buying. The only fishing water I know of in this area is Old Hickory and J Percy Priest Lake. Are these good shore fishing lakes, for Bass. My other question is, what are the bass doing in this part of the country. Are they still in the fall stage, or the winter stage, like they are in Minnesota. Any information would be great, thanks!!!!!!
ShoreBassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 06:51 PM   #2
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The fish around the Nashville area are starting to pull to the mouths of creeks and deeper water. I do not fish Old Hickory much but the fish around the state are starting to pull deeper, but I'm not saying you couldn't find shallow fish close to shore but the TVA is starting to lower Lake Barkley which is part of the Cumberland River so the water is going to be really low so most shore fishing will be tough.
Old 11-17-09, 09:08 PM   #3
ShoreBassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all of the information TN Bassin! I will probaly just leave the polls at home, and go to Bass Pro Shops, in Nashville. We do not have a BPS in Minnesota, so im very excited to check the store out. Im thinking about buying one of those Skeet Reese crankbait rods, while I am there!!!
ShoreBassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 12:50 AM   #4
TN_Bassin

Also ShoreBassin if you get the chance to go below Old Hickory dam try fishing for smallmouth, look for old locks and such to fish from. 3 and 4 pounders are regularly caught in that area.

Btw if you go to the BPS in Nashville I believe they have all sorts of Carrot Stix on clearance.
Old 11-19-09, 09:10 AM   #5
Racemaster33
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Bring them

Bring those rods! You will be glad you bought a 3 day licence! I've been fishing Percy Priest and been doing very well. The avg bass you will catch is about 2 1/2 lbs due to the 15" size limit for so many years. The water temp is about 62ish and it's got them feeding heavy before winter. They haven't pulled the lake down much yet so there is still a lot of great structure to fish around.
I've been catching them on top water in the morning and most everything else through the rest of the day. Most of my larger bass have come off well defined points and steep drop offs. If you find a drastic drop off it will be packed with fish!

If you want to change it up a little, the cooler water has brought the crappie back up to the shallow structure. I've been catching some nice papermouth too.

Our local weather is calling for 30% chance of rain on Wed, 40% Thur, 60% Friday and nice for Sat and Sun.

I have family (her family) coming in from Tuesday-Friday. I'll be taking her dad fishing on Wed if the rain isn't too bad. We will probably take the Bass Tracker Tadpole out for crappie so we can throw up the bimini top if it starts to drizzle. He's older and I don't think he will be into a power bass fishing trip, especially if the weather is cool and wet.
Racemaster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 12:03 PM   #6
woody

If you're at the Nashville BPS this Saturday, look for Stephen Headrick, he will be there putting on one of his seminars next to the big fish tank. I believe the times are 11:00am, 1:00pm, and 3:00pm. I would call ahead just to make sure.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.