Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-01-11, 11:43 PM   #1
BigBurlyBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default 30lb or 40lb braid?

Gonna be going up north on vacation in a couple weeks and my aunt lives on a small lake called little wolf lake; anyways was wondering what pound line I should use. Lakes got a lot of big pike and bass in it, I will be using it for flipping and pitching, spinner,chatter,buzzbaits, frogs, maybe some zaraspooks, also various other pike lures. will 40lb be to much to be casting alot, and do you think 30lb will be strong enough? Thanks for any input guys.

Also I trying some new braid, gonna get some power pro, I keep herring how good it is so I am finally going to try it.
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 11:55 PM   #2
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBurlyBass View Post
Gonna be going up north on vacation in a couple weeks and my aunt lives on a small lake called little wolf lake; anyways was wondering what pound line I should use. Lakes got a lot of big pike and bass in it, I will be using it for flipping and pitching, spinner,chatter,buzzbaits, frogs, maybe some zaraspooks, also various other pike lures. will 40lb be to much to be casting alot, and do you think 30lb will be strong enough? Thanks for any input guys.

Also I trying some new braid, gonna get some power pro, I keep herring how good it is so I am finally going to try it.

Go with the 40lb if your going to be flipping and pitching.
I dont have to much knowledge on pike because im in florida lol but for bass that is all you need unless your in really really thick cover.
check this guide out btw if you have not seen it already.

http://www.bassfishin.com/blog/fishing-line-guide/

Last edited by thekevster; 08-02-11 at 12:01 AM.
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 08:45 AM   #3
Bryan

Chances are 30lb would be fine, but I'd use the 40 anyway.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 11:05 AM   #4
Backwater Charlie

30lb would work fine.. but I guess it's better to be safe then sorry, up it to 40lb
Old 08-02-11, 06:06 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Considering you plan to do some pitchin and you also will be targeting pike, which can get big, mean and nasty, I'd go with the 40# line. My only worry as far as the pike is concerned is what all those razer sharp teeth would do to a braided line. I think I would look into using a wire leader when targeting pike.
Old 08-02-11, 06:13 PM   #6
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have to agree with k-dog. I fish a small lake that has pike in it and have lost some horny toads and spinnerbaits to them. That was with some 50 and 60 pound power pro. Sometimes the hook will get them before they bite off your lure. So if you don't mind losing any expensive lures 30 or 40 pound would be fine. There is always a chance a pike will hit anything you throw for a bass.
Old 08-03-11, 10:45 AM   #7
BigBurlyBass

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will probably be going with the 40#, and on one rod I will have a steel leader on it, for them nasty teeth. I haven't put more than 30# on before, can you still cast the 40# good?
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 11:07 AM   #8
lilmule

30 for flipping like rubber,40 and up for floating frogs,some require 50 to walk correct.
While I havnt caught pike have caught 3 ft long gar and have only lost one frog that way without a steel leader.Did have one break a jig hook off,yet line was ok.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 03:17 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

30lb braid is plenty strong enough. However, without a steel leader a pike's teeth will rip through 30lb, 40lb, 50lb braid. If you're targeting bass, expect to lose a couple lures to pike (pike LOVE cranks and spinnerbaits) and don't worry about it. Pike are probably going to go after moving lures, not soft plastics or pitching a jig.

BB
Old 08-11-11, 12:23 PM   #10
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
30lb braid is plenty strong enough. However, without a steel leader a pike's teeth will rip through 30lb, 40lb, 50lb braid. If you're targeting bass, expect to lose a couple lures to pike (pike LOVE cranks and spinnerbaits) and don't worry about it. Pike are probably going to go after moving lures, not soft plastics or pitching a jig.

BB
Can't say I really agree with that. I've lost MORE then my far share of tubes, and worms to toothy critters. They like senkos too.
Old 08-11-11, 01:08 PM   #11
lilmule

30 is fine for pitching rubber or even a jig,after spawn many dont like thick line on underwater baits
For tossing in open water , topwater I can get away with 30 pd as have no pike just some stripers and gar ,for tossing in salad topwater 45-50 and up just for bass,some mfg recomend at least 60,in part to get the frog or rat to walk and in part due what your fishing in.
I have landed 8-10 lb long nose and short nose gar with just 45lb -60lb braid,also lost a few frogs along the way.
But better than average in actually landing a decent hooked fish,just not many in a row without retieing.

Friend of mine Steve Huber 30 lb-45lb power pro,dont recall which he was using that day.

We wernt targeting these fish they just happen when frog fishing here.
As for his lighter line hes normally tossing a horny toad not a floating frog different requirements.

Last edited by lilmule; 08-11-11 at 01:17 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 01:15 PM   #12
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Can't say I really agree with that. I've lost MORE then my far share of tubes, and worms to toothy critters. They like senkos too.
Ditto to what Bassboss said. Pike are constantly sawing us off here when using plastics/senkos/etc, especially on a dropshot. Maybe not as often as with cranks and spinner baits, but we still end up feeding them a lot of plastics...at least on the one lake here in MN that I fish all the time anyway.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.