Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-16-07, 03:52 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Line Questions

I am looking for line for my future outfit. I want these things in this general order of importance to me.

1. Sensitivity
2. Little or no memory
3. Low Stretch
I am looking at these brands and models

1. P-Line Spectrx IV Pg. 135 BPS 07 Catalog
2. Seaguar Invizx Flourocarbon Pg. 139
3. Gamma Coploymer Line Pg. 139

What are your oppinions ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 06:16 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well if you really want those characteristics, there's no comparison, get Powerpro Braid, it is the best for all of those characteristics. There is no comparison with those issues to any flouro or mono, or copolymer hybrid. Now Fireline would be another good choice.

Lizards
Old 01-16-07, 06:54 PM   #3
pig n jig

The P-Line spectra IV is a braided line.I have used it and I really like it alot. I use Seaguar Carbon pro line and it has been really good line for me, thisone you listed must be new ? I am not familiar with it , or Gamma line which in my opinion is too pricey, but then again I never used it to know whether , or not it is good line.In the past, I have always used Toray, or Jinkai line because they were outstanding line, very pricey from Japan, but worth it. Now the copolymers are being made here, so the price should be better for a great fishing line.I think I am going to stick with P-Line Evolution line throughout this year. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 06:57 PM   #4
CMorg

Lizards , I know you say the line doesnt matter , and it may not , but this line will be used for finesse fishing.. still use braid ?
Old 01-16-07, 06:58 PM   #5
CMorg

Thanks PNJ for the input. I am going to assume you like the P-Line ? I looked at the Evolution line also , I may use it.
Old 01-16-07, 07:35 PM   #6
Bender

I like Power Pro also, if you are going braid go with that maybe in a 12lb or so. (although I just ordered some Fireline to try) For finesse fishing in the clear waters around here I have found that floro seems to help and I use P-Line Florocarbon. On my ultra-light spinning reel it does seem to have a little memory and wants to wind up a little on the spool even though I have the spool set to bias the line forward. The only copolymer I tried was P-Line CXX and it was just way too stiff.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 09:47 PM   #7
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Lizards , I know you say the line doesnt matter , and it may not , but this line will be used for finesse fishing.. still use braid ?
I use it for weightless plastics, but if you have doubts, and want something lets say a little less noticeable to you, then my choice is P-Line Flouroclear. It's a copolymer(mono with flouro coating). I use it occasionally, and do have it rigged on one of my rods now. The reason I like it is it's got some decent abraision resistance, and hasn't really broken on me on any fish, now it is 20lb so that may have a little to do with it.LOL Truthfully there are several good lines out there. PNJ has probably tried as many if not more than most everyone here on this site. I quit trying new lines mostly(I do have some Ande to try just for zooker's sake) I found lines that work day in and day out, those are Powerpro, Fireline, Trilene XL(great casting mono), and P-Line. I've tried over 20 lines, and these are the ones I stick with over and over. I have used Flourocarbon, but they are way to stiff IMO. The only good thing about them is they sink, but that isn't a issue with me, I can just add a tiny weight if needed to my bait. Pick what you like, but as you'll find out everyone has their favorite. Much of that has to do with each anglers preferred fishing methods. My #1 choice of fishing method would be pitching, so of course I love strong, tough, thin line. If I was more of a preferred crankbait guy, I might have a different choice of lines.

Lizards
Old 01-16-07, 10:16 PM   #8
CMorg

Thanks again lizards...I know you and alot of other guys on here have done and tried alot of things , thats why I ask all of your oppinions.
The set up I am going to be using is for worms and plastics , finess style fishing.
Old 01-17-07, 02:32 AM   #9
islandbass

Based on what you desire in a line's traits I would have to say that braid will fit the bill. If you are concerned about visibility because braid is opaque, then I suppose you can add a fluoro or mono leader. You will still have the benefit of braid with regard to no memory and sensitivity and yet the near invisibility of mono or fluro where is it wanted the most, closer to your lure.

I have tried and love Sea guar Invisx. It is a true fluoro line but it does have some stretch to it. That is what I like about it. The amount of stretch has the right amount of cushion I like but yet not enough so as to deter sensitivity. BTW, it is what I currently have on my drop shot rig in 6# test.
Old 01-17-07, 05:24 AM   #10
pig n jig

Quote:
Thanks PNJ for the input. I am going to assume you like the P-Line ? I looked at the Evolution line also , I may use it.
Yes I have fished with it a half a dozen times , or so.I do like the line alot.I probably have switched line brands more than most people, always trying something new. I might have helped lizards get to try P-Line flouroclear as well, It is very strong line. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-07, 11:36 AM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Yes I have fished with it a half a dozen times , or so.I do like the line alot.I probably have switched line brands more than most people, always trying something new. I might have helped lizards get to try P-Line flouroclear as well, It is very strong line. P N J
You are the one who reccommended it to me when I was looking for a good line for Lake Erie, with all the dang mussels LOL.

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 01-17-07 at 03:22 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-07, 01:14 PM   #12
islandbass

Quote:
CMorg,

I currently have evolution in 12# test on my curado D right now. So far, so good, as I've been using it for river fishing for steelhead/Salmon fishing (most of my bass lakes are closed for the season).

The line appears to have excellent castibility and decent strength. In the pic below, I was able to cast that tiny homemade spinner with my curado on a rod that has no business casting something that light. I attribute a good percentage of that to the evolution's great castibility. My hope however is that it doesn't acquire the memory that P-Line's CX Premium possesses. I won't like that too much.

When I say the rod has no business casting something that light check out its specs to see what I mean:
Lamiglas Norwest Special: 8.6", Heavy Action, 1/2 - 1-3/4 oz, 12-25# Line

Old 01-19-07, 11:38 AM   #13
CMorg

I hate memory on line , hate it. Thats an interesting spinner , do you put some sort of soft plastic on there I assume ?
Old 01-19-07, 01:13 PM   #14
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My favorite line was Stren Fluorocarbon but they don't make it anymore. What a shame. I'm experimenting a little myself. I kinda like the P-Line Fluoroclear and have been using it lately. I tried the CXX but am not crazy about the way it cast or the stretch. I still use Big Game some too.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-07, 05:30 AM   #15
islandbass

CMorg,

I suppose I could, but I didn't when I was using it.

It is a glow in the dark nearly colorado shaped blade with a very light spinner body. I think that hook weighed more than the body! It is definitely in the ultralight class!

I was wading in a river fishing for steelhead and let the current do its thing. Most of my lakes are closed for the season so I have to pursue other quarry.
Old 01-26-07, 05:39 PM   #16
CMorg

Alright Lizards , I got 30# PowerPro for my lillypad/grass rig , and I got the 15# Seaguar Invizx for my new Garcia Revo STX-HS on my future Airrus PulsR rod... once there shipped out...
Old 01-27-07, 05:25 PM   #17
Bender

Well my Fireline Crystal showed up and it looks really great. I will try to remember to report on it in 4 months when I get to use it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 05:52 PM   #18
islandbass

Quote:
Alright Lizards , I got 30# PowerPro for my lillypad/grass rig , and I got the 15# Seaguar Invizx for my new Garcia Revo STX-HS on my future Airrus PulsR rod... once there shipped out...
Congrats!!! I hope that you find Invisx to your liking. It seems an awesome line for me at 6# test. Hope you can give a report on it sometime down the line.

I also use 30# power pro. It is also a great line.
Old 01-27-07, 09:23 PM   #19
lizardsrule

Quote:

If you've never used Braid before there are a couple of things to know. At first you'll think there is something really wrong with rod rod, because it does make some noise you aren't accustomed to.(you do get used to it I assure you ) Secondly it actually gets better with time. It has a coating on it, that actually makes it a little stiff at first, the more you use it the more the coating wears off, and gets more limp(OK lets hear all the comments LOL). Also I reccomend a Palomar knot, and check the knot periodically. The line shows fraying a lot more, so just make sure to keep up the maintenance.

Lizards
Old 01-27-07, 10:40 PM   #20
CMorg

Alrighty , thanks for the advice.
Old 01-28-07, 02:53 PM   #21
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like Fireline. I know some people don't care for it but I have it on about half my reels and IMO it is the best line on the market. It is expensive, about $14 for 125 yards.

Just picked up some of the Cystal but haven't had to a chance to try it yet. Used smoke in the past and welcome the new choice.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 06:47 PM   #22
links_man2

I fish a lake that is solid Salt Cedar. If you catch a fish it will be in the Salt Cedar. So I use fairly heavy lines for most all my fishing. I use and like P-Line Premium 20# for worming/jigs, use 14# Gamma Co-polymer for cranks/ spinnerbaits/top water. Even with this, still get broke off a lot in brush.

Have 1 rod with 50# Power Pro and 20# Segaur Invix for leader. Only complaint with Power Pro is too hard to watch the line or would use it for all worms/jigs.

Tried 20# Segaur Invix for worming and had so much memory I immediately took it off. Now I use it on my flipping rod & leaders since I can stretch it and straighten it just before I go out----makes it usable.

I also use KVD Line & Lure. It is MUCH better than Reel Magic IMHO.

Also, anyone that likes Gamma lines, check their web site for Promotions. Now till September, if you buy 2 spools of Gamma line they will send you a free spool!

All of the above is JMHO nothing more nothing less.
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-07, 10:54 AM   #23
Curado

Seaguar is a good fluorocarbon line. It's sensitive and strong. I also like the XPS fluorocarbon. If you haven't tried Gamma I suggest you try it. It's very strong with low memory and abrasion resistance.
Old 02-10-07, 10:43 PM   #24
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
CMorg,

I currently have evolution in 12# test on my curado D right now. So far, so good, as I've been using it for river fishing for steelhead/Salmon fishing (most of my bass lakes are closed for the season).

The line appears to have excellent castibility and decent strength. In the pic below, I was able to cast that tiny homemade spinner with my curado on a rod that has no business casting something that light. I attribute a good percentage of that to the evolution's great castibility. My hope however is that it doesn't acquire the memory that P-Line's CX Premium possesses. I won't like that too much.

When I say the rod has no business casting something that light check out its specs to see what I mean:
Lamiglas Norwest Special: 8.6", Heavy Action, 1/2 - 1-3/4 oz, 12-25# Line

The only thing I dislike about P-Line premium, is the memory that sits in after a couple of weeks. But then again I use a line conditioner that helps out tremendously. I cant wait to try the new evolution. I do beleive that in these snag infested waters I fish that this will be a great line. When I get down to getting in there bedroom to hook ole mossyback I turn to the Spectra IV or Power Pro which I have had GREAT succes with in the 65 lb test. I did find that the 50lb was for some reason not doing as well as expected. Many others found this also. Dont have a clue why it just didnt hold up well.
Old 02-11-07, 01:32 AM   #25
Rebbasser

Seguar Carbon Pro has worked real well for me. I also like Powerpro. For mono I really like the way P-Line fluoroclear handles and although I haven"t fished it more than a few casts I have been impressed with Trilene Maxx.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.