Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-06-08, 11:51 AM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default 3 way swivel

This was mentioned in another thread but I wanted to ask this question in a new thread so it doesn't get lost.

Would it be better (easier) to use a 3 way swivel to get a floating crank bait to swim just above the grass bed if you know how tall the grass is?
Example - water is 12 feet deep and the grass at the bottom is around 2 feet tall. Use a weight on a 2 to 21/2 foot line to pull a floating crank bait just above the grass.

Sort of like a modified Carolina rig.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 12:32 PM   #2
cassidyta

Fishngolf

I use the three way swivel often to get my baits to suspend. This has been one of my favorate ways to fish flukes. I have found that you need to use a leader of about 1 foot. I have tried more and less but the 1 foot leader has had the least impact on the lure for me. That being said, I have not done it with a crank bait and do not know how it would impact the bait.
Old 08-06-08, 01:39 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn

Well I would much rather use with a fluke or other plastic since that is my lure of choice. Thanks.
Old 08-06-08, 01:56 PM   #4
Abbeysdad

I think in this case, the weight will hang in the weeds and it's really quite different than the carolina rig where the weight slides on the line ahead of the bait.
Have you tried some split shot ahead of your fluke?
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 02:06 PM   #5
Fishnngolfn

Yeah. I use a split shot ahead of my fluke a lot. Sometimes I use 1 or 2 glass beads instead of a split shot. The split shot seems to gather a lot of "gunk" on the bottom but it does serve it's purpose. The 3 way swivel may be something I experiment with. Maybe use one of the banana looking weights so it will not get hung up as easily.
Old 08-06-08, 03:12 PM   #6
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

not sure about the use you are talking about, but that weight (above) works really for me when carolina rigging a worm. the areas i fish have alot of submerged timber and stumps, they come through without hanging up.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 04:14 PM   #7
Bmuskin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It sounds like if you are asking if you could use a drop shot style gig with a crankbait? I think it would work but I would have great concern over the drop line getting wrapped around the treble hooks.When casting especially. I would tie off a leader and maybe think about a plain old split shot several inches or a couple of feet ahead.
I tend to read all these new and improved techniques try them, and the neighbors kid catches a bunch split shotting a worm.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 08:42 PM   #8
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
This was mentioned in another thread but I wanted to ask this question in a new thread so it doesn't get lost.

Would it be better (easier) to use a 3 way swivel to get a floating crank bait to swim just above the grass bed if you know how tall the grass is?
Example - water is 12 feet deep and the grass at the bottom is around 2 feet tall. Use a weight on a 2 to 21/2 foot line to pull a floating crank bait just above the grass.

Sort of like a modified Carolina rig.
If can be used and as a matter of fact I did this when I first started. However, it would be less steps to carolina rif your crank bait.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.