Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-22-08, 08:42 PM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Reel settings

I was reading some older posts on the tackletour forum the other day and was surprised to learn that many people "set" their Shimano centrifugal brakes with 2 pins out (brakes on) and 4 pins in (brakes off). Out of curiosity, I grabbed some of my reels from my boat and opened them up. Every reel except one had four pins out (brakes on) and 2 pins in (brakes off). So my question is, have I been "oversetting" my reels?

NOTE: I haven't thought too much about this topic since last year, however, now that fishing season is winding down for me, I am once again, tinkering with my rods and equipment.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-08, 08:49 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

not really i tend to pitch/flip with 4 brakes on.. the key is when flippin and pitching to have the same braking setting on differant reels i normally pitch flip with 3 differant rods. two differant reels- a team daiwa and two fpluger trions- which have vastly differant braking types but still nearly the same braking amount. this makes for less backlashes on the first cast when switchin rods. and i tend to switch them often in a day..

zooker
Old 10-22-08, 10:04 PM   #3
Kevin
Administrator

Four pins popped out is overkill in my opinion. You won't get good casting distance at all with that many "on". I think 3-4 popped out is helpful if you are learning a baitcaster and need the extra assistance... but if you use baitcasters regularly, 2 pins is the most you'll ever want to pop out. I try to cast just about everything with 1 pin popped out, but if I'm fishing braid and having problems with the line catching the level wind... you're going to have to pop another one out to make it 2 pins.

With 1 pin on, you really need to nail your cast control knob perfectly. It takes some tweaking to get your cast control and centrifugal braking to work in harmony for super long casts. If you've been stuck on 4 pins on, you're going to be shocked at how much farther you'll cast with just 1 or 2 and how effortless it is. I adjust my pins numerous times a day out on the water. They're a great thing to have.
Old 10-23-08, 12:32 AM   #4
islandbass

It's all about comfort, bottom line, but I agree with Kevin 100%. 2 on and the rest off is what I prefer myself. I believe you will eventually come to the conclusion that 2 on and 4 off is a great all around setting as you improve your skills. It will just take time. Go to 3 off and 3 on and before you know it, you'll be at 2 on and 4 off... Probably by next week.

I've also tried just one brake and it is manageable, but the extra distance gained is usually not needed anyway and with two on, it makes overall control more convenient.
Old 10-23-08, 03:55 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Virtually everything I've read or heard suggested is to set pins in pairs, with the pins paired on opposite sides of the brake wheel. I have not see anyone advise setting just one brake pin in the on position or using odd numbers. Guess it works, I'm not doubting it, but this is the first time I seen it suggested.
On the REVO reels I have I set 4 pins on - they are so freespooling, they backlash too easily if I don't. My Pfluegers are all set with two brake pins on, and that's where they perform best for me.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 04:56 PM   #6
zooker

kevin while NORMAL pitchin/flippen 2 on 4 off works i slid/skip baits under docks i found that 2 on 4 off results in a backlash most times. 4 on 2 off reduces this..

zooker
Old 10-23-08, 08:33 PM   #7
Wishing2BFishing

Does the model of the reel matter? I have half-dozen Shimano 51 Mgs (the "superfrees"). Should I still be setting less than 4 brakes?
Old 10-25-08, 10:50 AM   #8
bassboogieman

Quote:
Does the model of the reel matter?
I believe it does. As I said the REVO's, for me require additional braking, than my Pflueger's. The freespool is actually better on the REVO. Depends on the reel and your thumbing skill. Your Chronarchs will probabaly require additional braking until you master the thumb.
Braking power may also be dictated by the weight of the lure you are throwing also. The REVO for example: throwing a 1/2 oz trap not much backlash problem because the lure is still sailing through the air and pulling line as the reel spool slows during the cast, so less brake is required. Try throwing a weightless SENKO and the bait is in the water while the spool is still spinning fairly hard, resulting in a nasty backlash if you aren't paying attention. More brakes need to be engaged, agian for me, with the lighter baits that do not cast quite as far to pull line from the reel as it decelerates.
So with those fancy Chronachs, you may be setting the brakes differently for several reels depending upon which type of bait you are throwing.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-08, 09:42 PM   #9
Bender

I like either 2 or 3 on the Chronach. I have been using 2 but it was really windy today and I had to go up to 3 throwing a jerkbait today. That is the same as I have on my other Shimanos though I think too, maybe the Curado SF has 3 though.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 10:24 AM   #10
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Virtually everything I've read or heard suggested is to set pins in pairs, with the pins paired on opposite sides of the brake wheel. I have not see anyone advise setting just one brake pin in the on position or using odd numbers. Guess it works, I'm not doubting it, but this is the first time I seen it suggested.
On the REVO reels I have I set 4 pins on - they are so freespooling, they backlash too easily if I don't. My Pfluegers are all set with two brake pins on, and that's where they perform best for me.
What type of REVO do you have with pins?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 10:59 AM   #11
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
What type of REVO do you have with pins?
I believe it is the S that has the Centrifugal and not magnetic brakes. Also, I think Skeet Reese's model sports Centrifugal brakes also.
Old 10-27-08, 11:39 AM   #12
doc

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. Im looking for a new rod/reel combo from santa clause
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 12:21 PM   #13
Wishing2BFishing

How bout' the Daiwas. I have always had Shimanos with the pins. However, since I can't find a low gear ratio, light, left-handed Shimano model for deep cranks, I am thinking about trying the Daiwa 4.9 Crazy Cranker. What settings would you use on this reel? (What number on the brake adjustment and how tight on the knob)?
Old 10-28-08, 12:46 PM   #14
dubyatee
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to dubyatee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
How bout' the Daiwas. I have always had Shimanos with the pins. However, since I can't find a low gear ratio, light, left-handed Shimano model for deep cranks, I am thinking about trying the Daiwa 4.9 Crazy Cranker. What settings would you use on this reel? (What number on the brake adjustment and how tight on the knob)?
Just go out one day with a couple of cranks and just keep playing with the settings until you get it right for you. Usually I'll set the magnets pretty high and then work my down to lower settings
dubyatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-08, 11:27 PM   #15
Wishing2BFishing

I was tinkering with my reels again . . .

after some playing, I reached a conclusion. Pitching and Flipping seems to require 4 brakes off and 2 brakes on (as many of you had suggested). When I am throwing shallow to mid crankbaits (which is what I did most of the season), the applicable setting seems to be 2 brakes off and 4 brakes on.

So, does anyone else use different settings for pitching/flipping versus other techniques? Am I correct that different techniques require different settings.
Old 12-21-08, 04:47 AM   #16
pig n jig

I adjust the reel everytime I fish a different lure weight.

I posted somewhere before about adjusting your reels.Apparently not many of you listen to what I have to offer ?

1.You must know at what point of the cast the backlash begins in order to acheive maximum distance of the reel.

2. Backlashes are caused because the spool revolutions are faster than the line is travelling off from the spool during the cast.

3.If your backlash starts up at the beginning of the cast, you need to apply more centrifugal weights or more magnetic setting to the reel.In order to acheive maximum distance, you need to apply only enough setting as necessary to control the backlash.A greater setting will decrease your casting distance.

4.If your backlash starts up near the end of your cast, you need to adjust the spool tension knob tighter.To acheive maximum distance, you need to apply enough spool tension to control the backlashes towards the end of the cast. A greater setting will decrease your casting distance.

I hope this helps. Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 09:47 AM   #17
bamabassman

veery good piggie. i have read your control comments. and still re-read em. some of us need to read it over and over to remember it, old age i guess. lmao.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 10:13 AM   #18
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
veery good piggie. i have read your control comments. and still re-read em. some of us need to read it over and over to remember it, old age i guess. lmao.
Bama, Please excuse me this morning.I am sort of grumpier than usual.Ivan
Old 12-21-08, 01:00 PM   #19
zooker

ivan grumpy??

lol that funny right der...

zooker
Old 12-21-08, 01:04 PM   #20
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

isn't grumpy a synonym for new yorker ?
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 02:07 PM   #21
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
isn't grumpy a synonym for new yorker ?

Thats funny right there. Did you know Zooker used to live a stones throw from me ? You might be on to something after all.

At times I cannot sleep.This is one of those times. About the time I settle in the recliner to watch football ,it'll end. Ivan
Old 12-21-08, 04:34 PM   #22
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
I was tinkering with my reels again . . .

after some playing, I reached a conclusion. Pitching and Flipping seems to require 4 brakes off and 2 brakes on (as many of you had suggested). When I am throwing shallow to mid crankbaits (which is what I did most of the season), the applicable setting seems to be 2 brakes off and 4 brakes on.

So, does anyone else use different settings for pitching/flipping versus other techniques? Am I correct that different techniques require different settings.
2 on and 2 off for most everything, 99.5%. I have not had a need to change whether I am casting or pitching.

If that works for you that is cool. The best "all around" setting is 3 off and 3 on. I like two because I prefer my reel settings to be on the looser side.
Old 12-21-08, 07:56 PM   #23
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It's been years since I've had a Shimano baitcaster with pins. All my baitcasters are Daiwa TDA 150 & 153's. The brake is set by a knob numbered from 0 to 10. For pitching jigs and wt'd plastics I set the brake at 4. For Spinnerbaits, & big crankbaits I set the brake at 6.
Old 12-27-08, 06:23 PM   #24
bassin VT
BassFishin.Com Member

I usually have 0 pins out. But i'm not a beginner ith baitcasters. I just got this new reel from bass pro shops called "nitro" that when you want to adjust the brakes you turn a knob on the outside of the reel.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.