Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-08, 09:01 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Blade colors

So whats the standard for blade colors on spinnerbaits ? Silver for sunny days or cloudy , gold for ??? Also , what about skirt colors and water colors ? Ive heard black in murky water , but why not chartruse or white ? More natural colors for clear I suppose...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 09:17 AM   #2
pig n jig

I used to think I was an entry level spinnerbait person, but I now know that I am below entry level status. Ivan

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/sp...t-blades.shtml

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/bd_spinnerbait.shtml

Last edited by pig n jig; 12-14-08 at 09:29 AM.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 09:34 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't know all that much about spinnerbaits, but I use silver or a gold silver combo on sunny days and clear water. For clear water on cloudy daysa, I use painted blades, normally white. For muddy water, I honestly don't think it matters, having a big colorado blade or a double colorado is more important.

BB
Old 12-14-08, 10:01 AM   #4
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
For muddy water, I honestly don't think it matters, having a big colorado blade or a double colorado is more important.

BB

it don't...

spinnerbait fishing while some make it VERY confusing is quite easy.. skirt colors are 3 basic ones white,chatruse,combo.. you got to remember that you bait must match the forage bait fish.

such as gizzard shad have a black back a white skirt with some black strands is prefured a lake full of blue back herring you need to have a few strands of blue in a white skirt..

since i mostly use silver over gold blade combo. i do fish water with 8 feet vizability where a double silver blade simply work better.

when i was fishing lake james with 40 feet of vizability i seen definate reason to dull the shine off the blade. i removed the silver #3 willow and added a #3 black nickle willow blade..
i was seeing bass bum rush the spinnerbait from 100 feet away. very wild very interseting..

personally i would NOT use paint a blade the black nickle is NOT painted..
but this is my choice..

btw 3rd kicker great skirts -though they appear to be the same color...

zooker
Old 12-14-08, 01:48 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

i agree with a lot of what zooker said. most of the time i am using spinnerbaits that are a variation of white, or a mixture or white and chartruese. there are times where i will go with some other colors like black, black & blue, or black & red for examples but not ofter. for blades i use silver blades the most but do use copper occasionally and the only painted blades i ever use are white and that is on table rock in water where you could read a news paper on the bottom in 15 feet of water. on a spinnerbait i think that retrieve is as important if not more important than blade and skirt color. there could be a great blade bite going on but if you are not presenting the bait just right you would haul water all day long (as i usually do hahaha).
Old 12-14-08, 01:57 PM   #6
Jim80

Don't forget to add a trailer hook to your spinner as well .

Jim
Old 12-14-08, 03:24 PM   #7
zooker

i very rarely use a trailer hook on my blades..i do use a 4" grub on EVERY single blade i use..

zooker
Old 12-14-08, 03:24 PM   #8
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
Don't forget to add a trailer hook to your spinner as well .

Jim
I second what Jim said.Basically I use silver blades in sunny days, gold on darker overcast days and painted blades when smallmouth hunting.Chartruese blades burned over weeds for smallmouths is the ticket here. Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 06:14 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

i am a trailer hook guy myself........very rarely do i throw one without a trailer hook.
Old 12-14-08, 06:53 PM   #10
skeeter944

I throw a trailer ALL the time, no matter what. Its jus the confidence factor for me, plus last tournament 2 of the fish I caught were hooked on the trailer hook. Its times like that that makes me continue to use trailer hooks. I like a 2/0 red hook from gammy
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 07:46 PM   #11
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

http://proxy.espn.go.com/outdoors/ba...basics_BMM0606 this may help you pick.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 07:03 AM   #12
Bill@SOBLures
BassFishin.Com Member

CMorg,

Since I build spinnerbaits for a living....soblures.com , I tend to have plenty of choices in the boat with me when I go fishing and usually will throw a variety of color combinations that I "think will work" or "look good" on that particular day. I favor the translucent skirted spinnerbaits and usually only go to chartreuse when the water is off color OR when the shad colors aren't getting bit !

However, it usually boils down to using shad colored baits with nickle blades when there is good visibility and gold blades when the water is a little off color or when it is cloudy or overcast.

As for trailer hooks and soft plastic trailers....I let the fish tell me whether to use them or not. Down here in South Texas, we fish a lot of heavy cover and I find that a trailer hook usually causes more hang ups than it does hook-ups, so I rarely use a trailer hook unless the fish are "short striking" or I am fishing fairly open water. The same goes for a soft plastic trailer...I let the fish tell me what they want. I will start with no trailer and if I am not getting any bites, I will add a small soft plastic trailer. My favorite soft plastic trailer is a 4" ribbon tail worm in pearl white or bright chartruese. Sometimes I will dip the white one in red or blue dye for an added contrast.

Hope this helps some.....

GL&GF,
Bill@SOBLures

Last edited by Bill@SOBLures; 12-19-08 at 07:06 AM. Reason: left some material out of original msg.
Bill@SOBLures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 07:21 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I rarely use trailer hooks on a spinnerbait. I do however, use them most of the time with buzzbaits. I normally don't use a trailer on my spinnerbaits either, but really don't fish them much anyways.

BB
Old 12-20-08, 07:17 PM   #14
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I rarely use trailer hooks on a spinnerbait. I do however, use them most of the time with buzzbaits. I normally don't use a trailer on my spinnerbaits either, but really don't fish them much anyways.

BB
BB the grub trailer or a trailer hook on your spinner will lead to more fish boated , add one of the two and you'll find yourself fishing them more often .
you'd be surprised how many of those little bumps are a fish hitting the back of the bait and missing the hook .

Jim
Old 12-20-08, 08:52 PM   #15
flfireman

Silver, gold or combination of both. Almost always have a soft plastic trailer on. I use white, chartreuse or the translucent silver/speckle. If Im not hitting any fish the first thing to change is the trailer. Then I change the bait/blade set up, after that, the lure usually gets changed.
Old 12-21-08, 11:30 AM   #16
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I keep it really simple. Three colors. 1. Chartruese with a little red or 2. black with a little red or 3.White with a little blue or black. White when it's bright out and the water's somewhat clear. Chart. or black when it's not so bright or the water's not so clear. Gold blades on the chart. or black. Silver blades on the white. Mostly 3/8 oz down to, say, 7 ft or 1/2 or 3/4 if deeper. I don't fish spinnerbaits deep much though.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.