Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-30-08, 12:13 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Question Replacing line guides

I am an expert at replacing rod tips. I have several 6'2" and 5"10" rods to prove that, but I now have the need to replace a rod guide. I am not sure how, but the porcelin circle that fits in the line guide fell out. I figured out it was porcelin becuase my attempts to force it back into turned it into two half circles.
So the question is. How do you replace a single guide. I doubt that the rod is worth sending off to have replaced, but since it is the first one that my son bought on his own (Wally-world) I don't want to just scrap it.

Thanks
Old 12-30-08, 12:44 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Without sending it in, or without knowledge of rod making, you won't be able to fix it. You'd have to cut the guide off, but a new one, and rewrap it, which is a lot harder than it seems. Then you'd have to coat the thread with a color preserver so it doesn't fade, and then coat it with an epoxy and slowly rotate it for about 12hrs. It's not easy to do when you know how to and have the right tools, but without the knowledge or tools, it's very hard.

BB
Old 12-30-08, 12:47 PM   #3
cassidyta

Thanks BB
Doesn't sound like my idea of painted duct tape would work well.
Old 12-30-08, 12:55 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Most likely not. What kind of rod is it and how much was it?

BB
Old 12-30-08, 12:57 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

we have a local bait shop around here that can do that type of rod repair. you might ask around and see if you can find someone out there that does it.
Old 12-30-08, 12:57 PM   #6
cassidyta

It is a Penn spinner combo that my son spent $60 on. Worse case scenario, I will get a new rod and try to replace it before he notices. (Since it broke while I was cleaning the garage)
Old 12-30-08, 01:11 PM   #7
BigBassin144

That's probably the best idea. I would have fixed it for you if it would have cost $30 to get it to my house and back to you.

BB
Old 12-30-08, 01:13 PM   #8
cassidyta

I figure I will replace the rod. I believe I can get the same rod from sports authority for around $30. Then I will attempt to repair this one. I figure I can use it as a learning experience.
Old 12-30-08, 01:16 PM   #9
BigBassin144

You can get everything you'd need to fix it, including guides at www.jannsnetcraft.com.

BB
Old 12-30-08, 02:28 PM   #10
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Tried to fix a few guides myself and never succeeded. When I break a guide, it's time for a new replacement rod. Now if we're talking an expensive rod, then I'll get in touch with one of several local custom rod makers to get it repaired.

For a rod less then $100 that's not warranted, it's not cost effective to get it repaired.
Old 12-30-08, 05:20 PM   #11
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

Easy fix.

For the first time, practice the wrap on a spare pencil, dowel, broken rod.

Get a box cutter and cut the thread on top of the foot of the guide. Pick off threads. Hit w/ hair dryer and work off all excess epoxy. Get replacement guide and tie on.

Back in the old days, we'd use polyurethan as a coating on the threads. Now I use a pack of flex coat from Cabelas.
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 05:47 PM   #12
JB

I've always used the ceramic insert on mine, if not I'd use a fugi guide and tie it on, then glue over that
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 06:07 PM   #13
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The hardest part is cleaning up the blank where the old guide used to be. Replacing the guide is relatively easy and quick. can be wrapped in 5 minutes, another 5 to apply the eppoxy. The color preserver is used to prevent the threads from absorbing the epoxy and changing the appearance to a darker shade and semi-translucent. The problem comes in the expense in buying the equipment to do two or three replacements a year. Cheaper to take to your local tackle shop and spending the $15.00 a pop. There are all kinds of "how to" books available. In this area you would have no problems finding a lot of guys who can replace wraps, and you would never know they did except the work is a lot better than from any factory built rod I've ever seen including sage, loomis, st.croix, and many others i've seen.
Old 12-30-08, 08:48 PM   #14
bamabassman

cassyta... LISTEN to bb, i have PERSONALLY seen rods he dad (kingfisher) has done. one of these days he is gonna make me a fly rod. just as soon as i get enough muhla, i am gonna get me one or two. kingfisher does a fantastic job on his rods. BEAUTIFUL!!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 11:13 AM   #15
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookup View Post
Easy fix.

For the first time, practice the wrap on a spare pencil, dowel, broken rod.

Get a box cutter and cut the thread on top of the foot of the guide. Pick off threads. Hit w/ hair dryer and work off all excess epoxy. Get replacement guide and tie on.

Back in the old days, we'd use polyurethan as a coating on the threads. Now I use a pack of flex coat from Cabelas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstech View Post
The hardest part is cleaning up the blank where the old guide used to be. Replacing the guide is relatively easy and quick. can be wrapped in 5 minutes, another 5 to apply the eppoxy. The color preserver is used to prevent the threads from absorbing the epoxy and changing the appearance to a darker shade and semi-translucent. The problem comes in the expense in buying the equipment to do two or three replacements a year. Cheaper to take to your local tackle shop and spending the $15.00 a pop. There are all kinds of "how to" books available. In this area you would have no problems finding a lot of guys who can replace wraps, and you would never know they did except the work is a lot better than from any factory built rod I've ever seen including sage, loomis, st.croix, and many others i've seen.
IMO, correctly wrapping the guide back on is the hard part, especially starting it. You have to learn how to start it and finish it so the thread is tight. You will also need a large fly trying bobbin to keep tension on the spool of thread or it will be very hard to do by yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
cassyta... LISTEN to bb, i have PERSONALLY seen rods he dad (kingfish) has done. one of these days he is gonna make me a fly rod. just as soon as i get enough muhla, i am gonna get me one or two. kingfish does a fantastic job on his rods. BEAUTIFUL!!!!
I normally wouldn't have bothered, but I do believe we have a guy on here with the name of Kingfisher. Anyways, Now that I'm on christmas break I should have my first rod done soon. I'll post pics. I have one more guide to wrap, and a bit of decoration below the tip, and then epoxy.

BB
Old 12-31-08, 11:15 AM   #16
BigBassin144

Here's the link to my flippin' stick that my dad built for me.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...=flippin+stick

BB
Old 12-31-08, 04:59 PM   #17
bamabassman

sorry bb that i didn't add the ER to kKINGFISHER. i was typing too fast again,oops. and one of these days i AM gonna get me a rod from ya'll. saving my pennies,ok?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.